SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Do you consider the cost of the gun you carry?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you consider the cost of the gun you carry? Login/Join 
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
glock on the streets, sig in the sheets

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1237 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really.

Posts: 1570 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a couple of Wilsons and a vickers made 1911 that Has made me think about it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7979 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trickedtrix:
glock on the streets, sig in the sheets

See signature quote Big Grin

But to answer the OP, no, I don’t consider the cost. But I also just carry a pretty basic Glock 19. The cost of the gun has no bearing on my decision to carry it though.

I do have a second Glock 19 just in case this one breaks or in case I have to surrender it for any reason.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15268 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
An instructor once told the class I was in:

"If you are afraid to drop it (police),
don't use it as your carry pistol..."

Posts: 1299 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've got a few high dollar pistols that I regularly carry for defensive purposes, including models from Nighthawk Custom, Wilson Combat, and Les Baer. If you've got the means to carry the best, why skimp? Would you go low bid on a parachute, knowing the less expensive model works reliably most of the time? Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10242 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If I wanted to carry a $5000 pistol, I would.

I can't even imagine owning a $5000.00 gun of any type.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4183 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
If I wanted to carry a $5000 pistol, I would.

I can't even imagine owning a $5000.00 gun of any type.

I actually stole that from from Clint Smith at a class. He was carrying a 1911 that was valued at $7000

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37143 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I don't consider the cost of the gun I carry. P228, P226, or when I pickup my latest renewal permit on the 28th a P229. The first two have been to the volcano base for tweaking. The third I put volcano base DIY parts in. None of them are on the roster anymore, so unless/until that is overturned they'll be difficult and expensive to replace (why I have spares for the first two and will keep an eye out for a spare for the third). I don't care about that. While it is unlikely that I'll ever need to fire them in defense, if I do I want the best tools I can manage. If I have to fire them in defense, the cost of replacing them is probably a rounding error compared to legal costs. You have to be alive to worry about the costs of the aftermath and it seems to me like that is the more important thing to worry about.

Posts: 6981 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:
i Do NOT caryy my collector guns But i do consider what i carry on Reliabilty and how i shoot them.

AGREED 100%

Posts: 55 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know - I've thought about the same thing. I carried mostly 1911 (Ed Brown Kobra Carry )- (Wilson) - (Les Baer TRS) - ect and I started thinking what would happen if I had to shoot one of those dummies. They would confiscate my gun, and I doubt if I would ever see it again. And I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

So I decided to change my carry habits. I went from a Kahr Elite to an Sig 229 to a S&W wheel to a Glock 43 and settled on an Sig 365XL and that's where I am today. And now I don't worry about it.

But I am so glad that Summer is just around the corner so I can take all my expensive guns and show them off at the BBQ.

www.agcustomgunleather.com
NRA Member
GCO Member
Certified Firearm Instructor
Semper Fi

Posts: 572 | Location: Cumming, GA | Registered: October 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
When I was working, I used Montblanc pens and fountain pens because I like them. And, yes, I did lose a pen one time. It fell from my pocket and could not find it. I went and replaced it.

The value of my pens was in the perceived utility I got from using them, not in the sunk cost I paid to purchase them. I suppose I see my gun in the same way. I don't carry a gun to save money, I carry a gun to save my life if necessary.

Did I go out and buy Gucci gold-plated pistols? No. I bought them for the features, reliability, and brand reputation.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19867 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen this question raised before, and it seems to me that if I were concerned about the vanishingly-small likelihood that I’d ever have a gun confiscated because of a self-defense shooting, I’d be more concerned about more probable disasters such as losing it, having it stolen, or even damaged by being dropped. Yes, those would be unlikely as well (maybe), but still more likely than having it confiscated forever due to using it for self-defense.

That said, unless someone had no choice but to rely on a priceless heirloom because he couldn’t afford something else, for personal self-defense, there are countless moderately-priced handguns that are just as reliable (if not more so) and just as adequately accurate as any that cost multiple times more. If one doesn’t care, then it doesn’t matter, but if concerns cause a moment’s hesitation about having a gun immediately available when needed, then that $5000 1911 should be saved for the range or perhaps better still, left in a shadow box on the wall to be admired from afar.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47554 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
If one doesn’t care, then it doesn’t matter, but if concerns cause a moment’s hesitation about having a gun immediately available when needed, then that $5000 1911 should be saved for the range or perhaps better still, left in a shadow box on the wall to be admired from afar.

I don't even understand the concept of a guns value entering one's mind when you need to use it in a self defense situation.

The only 1911 I still own is custom built from a pistolsmith who likely wouldn't take my calls anymore...so I guess it's irreplaceable. But a replacement from another smith (Stan Chen would be my 1st choice) would likely be in at least the $5k range. I never gave the cost any thought when I used to carry it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special. It was just a gun I shot well and was comfortable to handle. When I stopped carrying it, due to back issues, it became my competition gun...so yeah, no shadow box for display

Folks used to give me flack about my carrying a Colt Python as a duty gun and also when off-duty. Back then it was a trusted companion with a trigger slicked up to be completely predictable enough to have saved a couple of lives in it's day. It looks like crap today with a lot of it's bluing worn off and much of it sun bleached, but it still shoots very well.

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14235 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This thought has crossed my mind, but not for the reason I would have originally thought of. Some people don't want an expensive firearm sitting in the evidence cage where it could rust or suffer some other kind of neglect. After observing the wear on my J frame over the years, I wouldn't want an expensive pistol to suffer the same kind of wear. I have a couple of BBQ guns, but they get carried seldom, and always get inspected for cosmetic damage every time I wear them. Just my .02.

Posts: 7082 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't buy collector guns or knives. All of 'em that I buy, I use and carry. Some of them are more expensive than others, but they still see carry time. If it's so expensive that I'm going to worry about it, I just decide I don't need it.

--------------------------------------

Posts: 3515 | Location: Central California | Registered: April 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I weigh the cost of the gun and compare that to the value I place on my life or the life of another innocent person. If I thought I needed a $5K or $10k gun to protect myself, I'd do that. Fortunately, reliable and effective guns can be had for far less.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, but foremost dependability and controllability! I've found very dependable sidearms in the $400-$600 range!

Retired Wildlife Biologist
US Army Veteran
Proud Freemason

Posts: 38 | Location: "dry side" of Washington State | Registered: June 16, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post