SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    Chest Holsters and Backpacking - UPDATE: First trip review Page 3
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chest Holsters and Backpacking - UPDATE: First trip review Page 3 Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It may be that my bag isn't great...it's just a cheap Kelty, and it's pretty big, so there is some air gap and YMMV, especially with a tighter -fitting bag...but mine is definitely warmer with layers on. Personal experience has proven this on multiple occasions.

There are a couple of caveats to this...the layers have to be dry, and not so warm that you initially sweat, get damp, then freeze after the temperature drops later in the night.

I did a couple trips early on in my hiking career wearing cotton. That's no bueno. You sweat during the day, never truly dry out, then freeze at night. Everything I wear hiking is now synthetic or wool. It wicks moisture, dries quickly, is way smaller and lighter to carry, and the socks have done wonders for my feet. It takes some gnarly terrain and serious miles to give me blisters these days.

When it's cold out I bring a set of synthetic thermals just to sleep in. They only get worn at night, so they provide a nice dry base layer to stack other stuff on top of if needed. This has worked pretty well for me, but YMMV depending on your gear and environment.

Posts: 5033 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I was browsing the HPG site last night, and it looks like they've just added a new product...a kit bag in "Medium" size. Dammit...I can't afford one right at the moment...but I may have to get one of these eventually. Looks like it would be just about the perfect size for hiking and kayak fishing, and I could keep using the little one for running.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Pro...ryID/1/ProductID/183

Posts: 5033 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I was looking around the other week & ended up ordering the Helikon-Tex Numbat chest pack. It’s often compared to the HPG chest pack.

https://www.helikon-tex.com/en...est-pack-numbat.html

I think it may ship from Poland, if it matters. I see the HPG packs get great reviews, may try one too. I have a later muzzle-loader deer hunt planned, may be a good time to try it out the chest pack.

Posts: 5025 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That thing is cool...I like the flap-covered front pockets that look like you don't have to unzip to grab small items out of them. That would be a handy feature. The price point is pretty decent, too. It doesn't appear to be designed around holding a weapon as much the HPG stuff, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes, may be a bit smaller than the average HPG. I’m usually a minimalist anyway, so that may be ok.

With packs & fannies it can ‘scream’ gun to some people. If conditions allow, I like the idea of maybe carrying the gun elsewhere, belt holster, whatever. Those conditions could be, cooler weather, with jacket.

Posts: 5025 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post