SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  CCW Methods & Issues    What do we like for Horizontal magazine carriers?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for Horizontal magazine carriers? Login/Join 
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted
I'm currently using a universal nylon holser with a velcro flap. Not ideal, but slow reload is better than no reload. Anyone have a recommendation for a low profile OWB mag carrier that is horizontal, or slanted at an angle that it won't jab me in the side when sitting like my vertical ones do?
This will be for a Glock 19/17.

Preferably kydex, but open to options.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nismo,

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TT Gunleather makes a mag pouch, single or double, with the mags angled forward. That might be worth checking out.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I carry a spare mag for my P30 in a MagHolder carrier, a little pricey for what it is but no issues with them.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Magholder LLC - use them with both Glock and 1911 mags.

Also check out Dale Fricke and his “Joab” horizontal mag carrier.

http://dalefrickeholsters.com/...uch-joab-horizontal/

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I will look into these. Cool

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
I use this mag holster for my G19 and have been very satisfied with it.

https://www.blackarchholsters....?variant=19352692998

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I'm currently using a universal nylon holser with a velcro flap. Not ideal, but slow reload is better than no reload. Anyone have a recommendation for a low profile OWB mag carrier that is horizontal, or slanted at an angle that it won't jab me in the side when sitting like my vertical ones do?
This will be for a Glock 19/17.

Preferably kydex, but open to options.

The horizontal hand orientation is easily the best option out there. Carrying a spare magazine horizontally keeps it out of your way when bending over or sitting down like you mentioned. It also has minimal print and is easily concealable! The other added benefit is the extremely faster reload in the horizontal orientation compared to the vertical.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Working patrol, I carried my mags horizontal, rounds pointing down, rounds toward the belt buckle on my left side. (I am right handed.) When reloading, I would draw a magazine and my index finger naturally fell on the nose of the round as the mag cleared the pouch, and could be guided to the mag well. Worked very well.

I taught this technique to my students as a department instructor.

"You can tell a lot about the character of a man, by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him."

Posts: 14 | Location: Central Oklahoma | Registered: November 17, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am really liking this one, neither horizontal nor vertical, a perfect fit in the inguinal crease area.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/A-SPMPG17.html

Yes, I know, not OWB by design, but, really, it can be worn OWB, under the belt, but outside the trousers.

I am not a fan of AIWB carry of handguns, due to comfort and concealment factors, but this position works very well, for me, for magazines and blades.

I am not generally a fan of horizontal mag carry. It can be comfortable, but, on my body, is not nearly concealable, at belt level, and consumes too much real estate, in places where I want to carry other things. The Dale Fricke Joab is superbly-made, but horizontal mag carry is just not my cup of tea.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Check out the Blue Force Gear Single Pistol Belt Pouch:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/...stol-belt-pouch.html

I use one to carry a spare magazine. I like it a lot. It is very well made, basically adds no extra bulk at all, can be worn vertically or horizontally, and can carry a multitude of items like magazines, flashlights, multitools, etc.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:

When I could find absolutely nobody that made mag carriers for the P320F in .45 ACP I bought a double version of that. Works very well.

You might also look in on this thread: Magholder - Horizontal Magazine Pouch

Lastly: My favorite Kydex guy, PJ Holster, will make horizontal mag carriers to order.

PJ Holster's horizontal mag carriers will slide around on the belt as you remove/insert mags. That can have both good and bad aspects. Magholders stay put.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:

I use one to carry a spare magazine. I like it a lot. It is very well made, basically adds no extra bulk at all, can be worn vertically or horizontally, and can carry a multitude of items like magazines, flashlights, multitools, etc.

BFG's site says that for horizontal mounting, this pouch only fits on a belt up to 1.25" wide. Is that true? `Cuz, that's kind of a silly restriction for use on any kind of tactical belt or even most EDC belts. It'd fit on a dress belt maybe, but that seems pretty limiting.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

If not being Kydex isn't an absolute deal breaker, I really like the Galco horizontal magazine carrier.

I wore it nightly for two years at work with no issues. I especially like the adjustable retention.

I THINK they come in 1.5 and 1.75 inch belt sizes. Mine cost approximately $50 but I'm positive that's no longer accurate.

Remember Me When You Look At The Night Sky

Posts: 10 | Registered: January 26, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Dale Fricke “Joab” I love mine and forget it’s there, it also has great adjustable retention.

Posts: 472 | Registered: December 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
First, I would throw the soft nylon holster with the velcro strap right into the garbage can. Get the holster worked out first then move to the mag holder.
I prefer to keep things the same on what ever gun platform I'm working with. Learn a sequence that will apply to all forms of carry. I carry vertical, all mags I carry will be in a vertical position.To me its a natural move from the belt to the guns magwell. Its also the same muscle memory.
The mag will have a harder time falling out when mounted vertical.
Dress to the gun.

Posts: 4604 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of magholderusa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
First, I would throw the soft nylon holster with the velcro strap right into the garbage can. Get the holster worked out first then move to the mag holder.
I prefer to keep things the same on what ever gun platform I'm working with. Learn a sequence that will apply to all forms of carry. I carry vertical, all mags I carry will be in a vertical position.To me its a natural move from the belt to the guns magwell. Its also the same muscle memory.
The mag will have a harder time falling out when mounted vertical.
Dress to the gun.

I would argue it definitely is not the more natural movement, nor is it even quicker! Horizontal to the rear is the fastest and most natural motion to reload your pistol.

With the Magholder version of the horizontal mag pouch, we utilize both friction and the pistol magazine retention tab to keep your magazine retained. Works great and is way more concealable then a vertical mag pouch.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA

Posts: 216 | Location: Cedar Hills, UT, USA | Registered: September 28, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post