SIGforum
What do we like for Horizontal magazine carriers?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/830601935/m/4480080454

March 01, 2019, 09:47 PM
Nismo
What do we like for Horizontal magazine carriers?
I'm currently using a universal nylon holser with a velcro flap. Not ideal, but slow reload is better than no reload. Anyone have a recommendation for a low profile OWB mag carrier that is horizontal, or slanted at an angle that it won't jab me in the side when sitting like my vertical ones do?
This will be for a Glock 19/17.

Preferably kydex, but open to options.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nismo,
March 01, 2019, 11:35 PM
henryarnaud
TT Gunleather makes a mag pouch, single or double, with the mags angled forward. That might be worth checking out.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes
March 02, 2019, 08:43 AM
SigM4
I carry a spare mag for my P30 in a MagHolder carrier, a little pricey for what it is but no issues with them.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
March 02, 2019, 01:13 PM
TheFrontRange
Another vote for Magholder LLC - use them with both Glock and 1911 mags.

Also check out Dale Fricke and his “Joab” horizontal mag carrier.

http://dalefrickeholsters.com/...uch-joab-horizontal/

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
March 02, 2019, 05:45 PM
Nismo
Thanks guys, I will look into these. Cool
March 04, 2019, 07:23 PM
JWF
I use this mag holster for my G19 and have been very satisfied with it.

https://www.blackarchholsters....?variant=19352692998

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry
November 18, 2021, 03:33 PM
magholderusa
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
I'm currently using a universal nylon holser with a velcro flap. Not ideal, but slow reload is better than no reload. Anyone have a recommendation for a low profile OWB mag carrier that is horizontal, or slanted at an angle that it won't jab me in the side when sitting like my vertical ones do?
This will be for a Glock 19/17.

Preferably kydex, but open to options.

The horizontal hand orientation is easily the best option out there. Carrying a spare magazine horizontally keeps it out of your way when bending over or sitting down like you mentioned. It also has minimal print and is easily concealable! The other added benefit is the extremely faster reload in the horizontal orientation compared to the vertical.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA
November 25, 2021, 11:29 AM
Brokenolmarine
Working patrol, I carried my mags horizontal, rounds pointing down, rounds toward the belt buckle on my left side. (I am right handed.) When reloading, I would draw a magazine and my index finger naturally fell on the nose of the round as the mag cleared the pouch, and could be guided to the mag well. Worked very well.

I taught this technique to my students as a department instructor.

"You can tell a lot about the character of a man, by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him."
December 01, 2021, 07:15 AM
Rexster
I am really liking this one, neither horizontal nor vertical, a perfect fit in the inguinal crease area.

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/A-SPMPG17.html

Yes, I know, not OWB by design, but, really, it can be worn OWB, under the belt, but outside the trousers.

I am not a fan of AIWB carry of handguns, due to comfort and concealment factors, but this position works very well, for me, for magazines and blades.

I am not generally a fan of horizontal mag carry. It can be comfortable, but, on my body, is not nearly concealable, at belt level, and consumes too much real estate, in places where I want to carry other things. The Dale Fricke Joab is superbly-made, but horizontal mag carry is just not my cup of tea.

Have Colts, will travel
December 02, 2021, 08:17 AM
Chris17404
Check out the Blue Force Gear Single Pistol Belt Pouch:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/...stol-belt-pouch.html

I use one to carry a spare magazine. I like it a lot. It is very well made, basically adds no extra bulk at all, can be worn vertically or horizontally, and can carry a multitude of items like magazines, flashlights, multitools, etc.

December 02, 2021, 08:56 AM
ensigmatic
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:

When I could find absolutely nobody that made mag carriers for the P320F in .45 ACP I bought a double version of that. Works very well.

You might also look in on this thread: Magholder - Horizontal Magazine Pouch

Lastly: My favorite Kydex guy, PJ Holster, will make horizontal mag carriers to order.

PJ Holster's horizontal mag carriers will slide around on the belt as you remove/insert mags. That can have both good and bad aspects. Magholders stay put.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
December 11, 2021, 01:25 PM
Expert308
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:

I use one to carry a spare magazine. I like it a lot. It is very well made, basically adds no extra bulk at all, can be worn vertically or horizontally, and can carry a multitude of items like magazines, flashlights, multitools, etc.

BFG's site says that for horizontal mounting, this pouch only fits on a belt up to 1.25" wide. Is that true? `Cuz, that's kind of a silly restriction for use on any kind of tactical belt or even most EDC belts. It'd fit on a dress belt maybe, but that seems pretty limiting.
January 27, 2022, 09:28 AM
The Night Rider

If not being Kydex isn't an absolute deal breaker, I really like the Galco horizontal magazine carrier.

I wore it nightly for two years at work with no issues. I especially like the adjustable retention.

I THINK they come in 1.5 and 1.75 inch belt sizes. Mine cost approximately $50 but I'm positive that's no longer accurate.

Remember Me When You Look At The Night Sky
February 26, 2022, 07:31 PM
CQBdirtnap
Check out the Dale Fricke “Joab” I love mine and forget it’s there, it also has great adjustable retention.
February 27, 2022, 10:36 AM
armored
First, I would throw the soft nylon holster with the velcro strap right into the garbage can. Get the holster worked out first then move to the mag holder.
I prefer to keep things the same on what ever gun platform I'm working with. Learn a sequence that will apply to all forms of carry. I carry vertical, all mags I carry will be in a vertical position.To me its a natural move from the belt to the guns magwell. Its also the same muscle memory.
The mag will have a harder time falling out when mounted vertical.
Dress to the gun.
March 04, 2022, 10:37 PM
magholderusa
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
First, I would throw the soft nylon holster with the velcro strap right into the garbage can. Get the holster worked out first then move to the mag holder.
I prefer to keep things the same on what ever gun platform I'm working with. Learn a sequence that will apply to all forms of carry. I carry vertical, all mags I carry will be in a vertical position.To me its a natural move from the belt to the guns magwell. Its also the same muscle memory.
The mag will have a harder time falling out when mounted vertical.
Dress to the gun.

I would argue it definitely is not the more natural movement, nor is it even quicker! Horizontal to the rear is the fastest and most natural motion to reload your pistol.

With the Magholder version of the horizontal mag pouch, we utilize both friction and the pistol magazine retention tab to keep your magazine retained. Works great and is way more concealable then a vertical mag pouch.

Ricky Taggart
Magholder.com
Utah, USA