SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    A Bridge Too Far
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Bridge Too Far Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
Watched this on Netflix over the past two nights. Can’t remember the last I saw it and had forgotten all the big name actors in the cast (Sean Connery, Ryan O’Neil, Robert Redford, Anthony Hopkins, James Caan) who I wasn’t expecting to see was John Ratzenberger (Cliff from “Cheers”)

Great movie, highly recommended!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10917 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
This is a good flick, one of my favorites about WWII.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
And all practical, a sky full of airplanes and paratroopers. Real planes and real men. A film the likes of which we will never see again.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
That's a lot like the original Longest Day movie. Many of the major stars in that one too.
Both were great movies and before much of the special effects we see now.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056197/fullcredits

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Always been one of my favorite WWII's. Great cast, a timeless film. I think I've watched it two or three times.

Another really great film from 1957, my Dad took me to see when I was around 5yrs old. A Bridge Over The River Kwai. The main thing that really hooked me was near the end and they started whistling that tune in rhythm called "Colonel Bogey". Each time I've watched it again over the years that whistling of "Colonel Bogey" takes me back to that 5yr old hanging with my Dad at the movies, very catchy tune too.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The final scene of A Bridge Too Far, with the British prisoners singing "Abide with Me", never fails to bring me to tears. I'm afraid that could never happen now--that kind of national cultural unity.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazon had it on their Prime "freebie" list not that long ago. Took me a few days to finish watching it. I go through my Xbox, so movies have to fight with video games for my rather weak attention span, but I've seen it more than a few times over the decades. Still a very good flick that holds up very well.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons the film has held up well since it came out over 40 years ago is the accuracy and attention to detail that went into each scene. Granted the scene with the fighter-bombers attacking the Germans in the woods is a bit lacking for the WWII purist, but they did a good job in attempting to make the planes look like P-47s as much as possible.

The locations, weapons, vehicles, uniforms & civilian clothing, hair cuts for men (well, except Redford) hairstyles for women, etc., are all either accurate or (like the planes) a very good job was done to make them as realistic and period correct as possible. Take a look at some of the pictures of Arnhem during the battle and you'll see that they are almost like-for-like in the movie. Also in this film, unlike so many other WWII portrayals, you won't see the Germans using American tanks and half-tracks, or Lee-Enfield rifles because "one bolt-action looks like another, right?".

Also, I've read that besides making great efforts to be accurate with all of the above, Richard Attenborough tried to get actors who were similiar in build and looks to portray the principals of the operation as they looked at the time. Sean Connery, Dirk Bogarde, Edward Fox, and Ryan O'Neal are particular stand-outs in that regard.

All in all, a great movie that is truer to the book it came from than most any other movie I've ever seen.

Posts: 4976 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The resemblance between Liv Ullman and and the young Kate ter Horst is very remarkable.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely a classic for me! It's where I learned the best way to take a bridge!

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the airborne operation aspect; very well done. Always kind of bothered by Robert Redford's scenes though; never could decide if bold or stupid tactics. And, from what I had read, Redford made way to much money for his small role, which I always thought was bogus.

Big fan of the bridge construction scene, and I love the Piat.

Posts: 2086 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved the movie, visited Armhem and the museum a few years later. The German amor attack across the bridge was outstanding.

IMO, it would have been better without the distraction from some of the big star cameos: Elliot Gould, Robert Redford, Ryan O'Neill, and Gene Hackman (speaking Polish no less!) are a few that come to mind.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0...4/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
...And it's now free on Kanopy, along with several Clint Eastwood films.

(Kanopy is that rather limited free streaming services offered by many libraries.)

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
I saw this in theater as a kid. It was fantastic.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MASig:
Definitely a classic for me! It's where I learned the best way to take a bridge!

Both ends at the same time!

Great flick, one of my favorite war movies!

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
Love the airborne operation aspect; very well done. Always kind of bothered by Robert Redford's scenes though; never could decide if bold or stupid tactics. And, from what I had read, Redford made way to much money for his small role, which I always thought was bogus.

Big fan of the bridge construction scene, and I love the Piat.

Listened to an interview on S.C. public radio a few years back with a guy who was a young 2nd Lt and was on that river crossing.... it was his 21st birthday and he said he was 40 years old when the few of them that actually made it across got to the other side. the interesting part of the interview was then he explained him and about 12 others came across a barn with 30 German soldiers sleeping in it and the reporter interviewing him asked what they did... his answer was simply... we killed them all.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post