Find
Notify
Tools

Blood Diamond Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
Just saw this today and man…

The views and cinematography was beautiful.

Liked the way the main character, Danny Archer, evolved from a self identified mercenary to a smuggler to finally a guy who does the right thing.

The gunfights were pretty spectacular.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11262 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads-up, I have never seen it.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9362 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Great movie. It is the film that solidified my belief that DiCaprio is the most talented male actor out there. He's a lefty nutjob, but he is one hell of an actor.

Posts: 20054 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Great movie. It is the film that solidified my belief that DiCaprio is the most talented male actor out there. He's a lefty nutjob, but he is one hell of an actor.

I can't disagree, he got my attention with "Gilbert Grape". As good as he is, he may be the best at picking scripts.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8323 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
After watching this movie when it was new, I commented... as much as I want to hate him, I have to admit it, he really can act.

It's a good movie, though I never re-watched it. I'll have to some time.

Posts: 21088 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Very good... one of my favorite action movies from the past 20 years or so. And cheers to the ever-smokin' Jennifer Connelly.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10477 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
one of my favorite action movies from the past 20 years or so

Same here. An excellent flick that stands up just as well to additional viewings.

Posts: 32475 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I can't watch it without having an itch to buy a USPc for several weeks after.

Posts: 10848 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
... as much as I want to hate him...

It's true, at first glance a pretty boy with a punchable face. Smile

That he makes you forget that is a testament to his acting, no?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8323 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:

There are a number better. Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the greatest living actor in film. But he retired after the Phantom Thread. He did this before, around 1997, and just needed a break, then came back. Known for taking 5 years between roles, well there is a reason PTA has cast him several times, both nominated for best actor and won 1 of those 2. And Scorsese has also cast him several times. That’s 2 of the best directors still making motion pictures there is.

Then you have Christian Bale, and Jared Leto. Either of which can play anyone they choose and both have more range, like Lewis, than Leo. But Leo is great. Like Pitt, he has a real knack for picking roles. He was even good in Don’t Look Up, playing a cowardly half wit astronomer.

He did a good job in this film and did a decent accent. Jennifer Connelly always shines bright as a star too. Was great to see some reality about diamonds. Even the ones sold as “blood free” are many times smuggled out of that country, to the point I’d never, ever buy one and never have. Whole thing was just a DeBeers marketing campaign that began 100 years ago. Prior, diamonds weren’t worth shit. So the value of them, is all fugazi.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Prefontaine,

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12605 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the greatest living actor in film. But he retired after the Phantom Menace.

No shit? Y'know, I thought I recognized him beneath all that Jar-Jar Binks CGI!

(Methinks you mean 2017's The Phantom Thread, not 1999's Star Ware prequel. Big Grin)

Posts: 32475 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Daniel Day-Lewis is probably the greatest living actor in film. But he retired after the Phantom Menace.

No shit? Y'know, I thought I recognized him beneath all that Jar-Jar Binks CGI!

(Methinks you mean 2017's The Phantom Thread, not 1999's Star Ware prequel. Big Grin)

I corrected it yes. Always amazes me the people who log onto forums trying to find a misplaced word, etc. Hope you won a sweet prize for that! Wink

Posts: 12605 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
You made a funny typo. I made a joke.

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
I still have clients asking for "NON BLOOD" diamonds only. LOL

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6007 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
You made a funny typo. I made a joke.

You could have literally taken Gunny’s advice yourself. Lighten up Rogue. The forum isn’t a doctoral thesis.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
TIA Danny!

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davetruong:
I still have clients asking for "NON BLOOD" diamonds only. LOL

But what if I want blood diamonds? The bloodier the better, we could call them rubys. Razz. Seriously thought that was a horrible place and time.

Amazing movie though.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7664 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
This movie almost makes you want to buy a HK compact. Till you remember the stupid Euro trigger guard mag release. Cool

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6961 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
This movie almost makes you want to buy a HK compact. Till you remember the stupid Euro trigger guard mag release. Cool

To hell with you! You unwashed heathen!!! Smile Razz

I like my eurotrash mag releases Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7664 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:

What? I love the HK mag release!

Posts: 6615 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post