Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2022 Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The roller coaster did not disappoint. Shame about Mir there towards the end but holy hell man Rins is on fire this season!!! Tied for #1 in championship points! Cool

That moto2 race! How sweet it is to hear the American national anthem play for the race winner!!!!!

This is the first time an American has won a Grand Prix race in 11 years and the first time an American has won the intermediate class in over 20 years!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yes I am happy my favorite rider is tied with fuckin Fabio (the only rider I don’t like) but I LOVED this moment most.

Bags had a hell of a race too. Way to battle back from a horrific situation.

It’s been a long damn time since our anthem has been played at a Grand Prix event.

Way to go Joe! He came out on top of one of the wildest races ever.
screen capture windows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Great race & Rins was on fire. Scythed through the field like MM did in Austin.

Bummer for Mir though, unfortunate 'bystander' on that one.

The wipeouts in Moto2 were pretty crazy, looks like some close calls for the riders standing in the gravel as more bikes came sliding their way.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Watching the interview afterward I can only say Jack Miller is a class act. He accepted responsibility and genuinely apologized for his mistake. I really liked seeing such class and sportsmanship between Mir and Miller especially considering they have had run ins in the past that were not handled as gracefully.

Guess what guys. It’s a race weekend! On to Spain we go! Cool

Here’s to hoping Fabio struggles and the flaws of the M1 come back. Seeing him pass Mir on the straight was depressing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m thinking about watching the Moto-E qualifier tomorrow. Having built my first electric bike recently I have to admit I do have a newfound curiosity in the electric machines they are running.

Q1 & Q2 is from 10:50-11:20 tomorrow morning. The free practice sessions for MotoGP are damn early so I might catch those later on and watch the electric bikes live as they fight for good positions on the grid. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Let's hope we get a better race than last. I feel asleep mid way through as it was decided way way too early. I much prefer some battling for the win.

Finally back on the core circuits. This is where the championship contenders are sussed out and the real shit begins. Next 5 races are going to be sick.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Non-F1 weekends, I wish GP sessions were televised.
As I sit here in my quiet office with a 55" TV above my head. F1 weekends, I get in FP1 & FP2 while I work.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They are always televised if you have MotoGP.com membership. 1080p as well.

No battles for the lead, unfortunately, but Pecco rode an outstanding race. Didn’t make a single mistake from the start to the finish. This should assure his factory seat for next year.

So happy for Aleix and Aprilia too. That man has been grinding for many many years and his hard work and dedication is finally paying off. He’s the most honest guy in the paddock too, always tells it like it is. With today’s result they lose their concessions also.

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Eek

https://the-race.com/motogp/su...-at-the-end-of-2022/

quote:

The Race’s sources within the Suzuki MotoGP team have confirmed the bombshell news that the 2020 world championship-winning team will withdraw from the series at the end of the year, leaving both Joan Mir and Alex Rins without a ride, the premier class short one manufacturer and dozens of staff unemployed.

The incredible news has come from absolutely nowhere, with new team principal Livio Suppo (hired only a few months ago) speaking to The Race only days ago at the Portuguese Grand Prix about his desire to retain both riders for next season and beyond.

The news was broken to the team’s staff during testing today at Jerez, with the stunning news coming from completely out of the blue after a decision made at headquarters in Japan that seems to have had zero input from the team.

It’s not the first time that Suzuki (one of the lowest-budget teams on the grid) has taken similar action, dramatically quitting only at the final round of 2011 after having already signed riders for the following year. That time a result of the global financial crisis, it’s possible that this decision has again been triggered by similar issues surrounding the COVID pandemic.

The team announced only last April that it had signed a new contract with MotoGP series promoters Dorna to remain a part of the championship until at least 2026, expressing a long term commitment to the sport that few at the time doubted given it had just come off the back of a highly-successful 2020 season that saw Mir lift the title.

His future, and that of team-mate Alex Rins, is now perhaps the most pertinent question, with Suzuki’s decision blowing the 2023 rider market wide apart. With Suzuki seemingly keen to keep both riders, it was believed that there wouldn’t be too much movement on that front – but now, with both free agents on the market, it means that many teams will be reconsidering their options.

While the news is yet to be officially announced, it’s believed that a press release will be issued confirming it some time on Tuesday morning

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Wow, just wow.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hopefully someone takes up the gap & they keep a ride.
Aprilia B-team? Additional Yamaha expansion?

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Not the first time they’ve abandoned ship in GP.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m feeling pretty heartbroken today. What do you do when the team that rejoined MotoGP the year you bought your first bike (a Suzuki) decides to quit? Suzuki got me into MotoGP and made me a HUGE fan. I feel betrayed and let down.

I’d love to say I’m gonna root for Aprilia now but I think I’m done rooting for underdogs. They may surprise and inspire you but mostly they just let you down. Frown

I don’t know what else to say. This was a hell of a bad thing to wake up to and read today.

I guess this is sort of what it felt like for prefontane when Rossi hung up the leathers. This sucks. I like most of the riders but really like to see certain manufacturers do well. The bikes and manufacturers is what pulled me into the sport.

It’s gonna be all in for Ducati for me now. Damn it sort of sucks to not have my dog in the fight going forward.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/mot...-statement/10273554/

quote:
​​​​​​​
On Monday evening Motorsport.com revealed Suzuki is set to quit MotoGP at the end of the 2022 season in a shock decision made by the Japanese marque, which was communicated to the team during the post-race test at Jerez.  

Suzuki was expected to make an official announcement of its exit this morning, but so far this has not been forthcoming.  

This could be as a result of MotoGP rights holder Dorna Sports' statement it released on Tuesday afternoon, where it said Suzuki's decision to quit MotoGP cannot be made on its own.  

Suzuki, like all other manufacturers, is currently contacted to Dorna to compete in MotoGP through to the end of 2026 having signed a new five-year deal which began this year.  

In the same statement, Dorna says it will decide on what the grid size will be for 2023 should Suzuki in fact quit in agreeance with Dorna, and says there is "high levels" of interest from outfits looking to join the grid, which includes "official factories". 

The full statement read: "Following recent rumours of Suzuki departing MotoGP at the end of 2022, Dorna Sports has officially contacted the factory in order to remind them that the conditions of their contract to race in MotoGP do not allow for them to take this decision unilaterally. 

"However, should Suzuki depart following an agreement between both parties, Dorna will decide on the ideal number of riders and teams racing in the MotoGP class from 2023.

"Dorna continues to receive high levels of interest from a number of both official factories and Independent Teams looking to join the MotoGP grid as the sport continues to set a global example of close competition, innovation and entertainment, reaching hundreds of millions of fans around the world.

"Interest from these parties has been re-confirmed in the past 24 hours." 

At present, it is not clear what outside teams have expressed interest in joining the grid, though it has been known in the past that Leopard Racing has been interested in a step to MotoGP.

The grid is currently capped at 24 bikes, with Dorna ideally keen to have six manufacturers fielding four machines each, though at present Ducati supplies eight, Yamaha, Honda and KTM have four, while Suzuki and Aprilia has just two.  

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Conversation with my wife who watches every race now

Wife- it’s not that bad

Me- yes it is it fucking sucks

Wife- you can still root for Aprilia

Me- I like those riders because they both used to ride for Suzuki and I like to root for an underdog

Wife- ok so root for Aleix and Maverick, you named your damn dog after one of Aprilia’s riders

Me- I like that Aleix wears his heart on his sleeve. He is in my eyes impossible not to love BUT I primarily like those guys because #1 they together helped Suzuki become a contender and #2 they are an underdog fighting against hard odds and against vastly superior racing teams in terms of resources and money.

Wife- what makes Suzuki so special!?

Me- when I got my first bike they rejoined racing, the timing was beautiful. Do you want me to get an Aprilia? If I get an Ape I could defiantly see myself becoming an enthusiast of another team. But what if they quit too? They already lost their satallite team to fucking Ducati who has almost filled 1/2 the grid their their fast as hell bikes!

Wife- yeah this sucks I’m sorry

Big Grin

She knows I want an Aprilia BADLY. And she also knows the one I want isn’t cheap.

Suzuki brass has FUCKING PISSED ME OFF. There is a quote that goes something like the problem with quitting is that it has a terrible way of becoming a habit. Well how can I respect a fucking team that has a behavioral pattern of quitting when times get tough.

Fuck Suzuki. Suzuki makes it impossible to be their fan and love their brand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Stick pining for an RSV4?

The 'high level of interest from official factories' is interesting. Kawi coming in? BMW making a run?

Not sure who else could fund/support a GP team. Triumph maybe, but they don't have a production supersport at the moment.

Now the question becomes, where do Rins/Mir land, and who gets the boot to make room?

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
My guess. Damn it’s sucks typing this….

Mir to Honda. Honda has been struggling. I like the balance of Marquez riding on the edge (and often past it) balanced out by the cool headed and disciplined riding of Mir. Honda would be stupid to not capitalize on what that could bring HRC.

Rins to Yamaha. Yamaha needs new blood. No one but Fabio is doing anything remotely interesting on the M1 currently. Rins could shake it up a bit there.

I wonder what Maverick is thinking now about jumping ship from Suzuki? Suddenly it doesn’t look like such a bad career move eh?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
If there is one thing I have learned, never tie yourself to a corporation. I’ve never seen someone sporting a Walmart jersey, nor a Best Buy hat, so doesn’t make much sense to tie yourself to any motorcycle mfr. Like automobiles, choose the model that best suits your needs or offers something unique.

Yamaha, Aprilia, and Ducati offer production based bikes that have some basis to their MotoGP counterparts. Honda doesn’t make a V4 Fireblade. KTM doesn’t sell a production liter V4 sportbike. And Suzuki does not offer a production crossplane engine. The best motorcycle engines are V’s, or have a V firing order (crossplane). You get the torque down low of a twin, with the mid and upper rev range of an inline 4. All MotoGP bikes either use a V4 or an engine that mimics a V4 with their firing order (crossplane 4). R1, RSV4, Pan V4. Traditional inlines are boring in comparison.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I get what you’re saying. I am not sure I agree with the Walmart or Best Buy jersey analogy…those guys are not manufacturing racing machines.

Ducati has a rabidly loyal following as does Porsche, BMW & Mercedes. I’ve seen plenty of people with Ducati shirts or Porsche hats out in public. Ford & Chevy guys tend to love one and hate the other and many of their enthusiasts have at least a Ford or Chevy hat or shirt, especially the more hardcore Mustang, Camaro & Corvette fans.

When it comes to motos some people are more brand loyal while others don’t care at all and only care about the variety of motos or cars available and how they may or may not suit their specific needs.

I’d say I tend to be more of the brand loyal types. I’ve owned three Mustangs two from the 60’s and a 5.0 GT and used to be a die hard Ford fan until I bought my first Toyota truck. Now I only own Toyota.

While I own many different brands of motorcycles I do have a few manufacturers that I tend to favor. Unless someone else offers something unique or vastly superior I more or less stick with Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha and favor them in that order.

I wonder how much the gradual switch over to renewable fuel factored into Suzuki’s decision to withdraw from MotoGP?

That along with the ever persistent problem of finances was probably the two big reasons why Suzuki wants out of MotoGP right now.

Davide Brivio leaving and how that torpedoed Suzuki’s satallite team ambitions (which would have helped their finances a bit) was probably also a big factor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I have some Ducati team shirts, that I got at Austin.
I was a guest there for Ducati Austin and wore appropriate attire.

And I have a hat too.

But I have more of VR46 garb than anything.

Respect the G.O.A.T.

But then, I am also an ambassador for my owners website too.

Fanboi? Yea, I guess so, but then I don't care what other people think.

At a F1 race in Austin, I still wore a Ducati shirt.

Dorna halts filming of Amazon's MotoGP Unlimited series two

https://us.motorsport.com/moto...series-two/10247183/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rainman64,

Posts: 5015 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post