Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2022 Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.autosport.com/moto...-in-motogp/10290262/

quote:
​​​​​​​
On Monday Autosport broke the bombshell news that Suzuki will quit MotoGP at the end of the season in a decision it only communicated to the race team on the same day during the post-race test at Jerez.

An official announcement was expected on Tuesday, but did not materialise.

Instead, Dorna Sports – MotoGP owners – issued its own statement saying Suzuki could not decide to quit the series on its own as it is bound to a contract through to the end of 2026 along with the rest of the manufacturers.

Dorna also noted that it had “high levels of interest” from independent teams and official factories about joining the grid if the opportunity arose.

Leopard – Moto3 title winners with Danny Kent in 2015, Joan Mir in 2017 and Lorenzo Dalla Porta in 2019 – has been keen to join the MotoGP grid in the past, and once again reiterated that desire to Autosport on Thursday during a private Moto3 and Moto2 test in Barcelona.

“We will see how the situation evolves, there is a contract involved and I don't think Suzuki can leave just like that because it has a signed contract until 2026,” Leopard boss Christian Lundberg said.

“We'll see, but if a seat is freed up and God willing, they [Dorna] give it to us, we'll be very happy.

"The whole paddock knows that we are absolutely interested and that we would try to take that step, but there's still a long way to go before it can happen.”

If Leopard does get the nod to step up to MotoGP, Lundberg says it will be in partnership with Aprilia.

“I think the only option would be to do it with Aprilia because, in my opinion, Dorna has to reward in one way or another the only constructor on the grid that only has two bikes, and today all the bikes are very competitive,” he added.

“So, it would be very good for us to work with Aprilia, plus we are a half-Italian team and it would be easier than working with the Japanese, I think it would be the best option.”

During the Spanish GP weekend, Aprilia CEO Massimo Rivola told Autosport that it was open to fielding a satellite team if the right offer came along.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Even when something depressing happens the internet finds a way to make it into a decent joke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
After 2022 I don’t think we will ever see Suzuki in MotoGP again. Unless some BIG changes occur there I don’t see the motorcycle division surviving or at the very least existing as a top tier manufacturer in the future.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21051 | Location: North Carolina  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s pretty hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel for Suzuki. It’s even harder to be a Suzuki fan and believe in them going forward. This article and interview with Alex Rins shows how to handle devastating news with grace. I like that he can still find some humor in the face of awful news. It’s hard to disagree with Alex at the end there.

Long article but well worth reading.
Link to article

After a lukewarm statement from Suzuki, in which he confirms the bomb that jumped ten days ago, that will leave the MotoGP World Championship at the end of this season, For economic reasons and despite having to pay Dorna the exit clause, because in April 2021 he signed his renewal until 2026, the turn has come for his pilots to pronounce themselves. Joan Mir and Álex Rin have spoken at the Le Mans circuit, where the French GP will be held this weekend. They are very annoyed with the fear of the World Cup in their factory, the same thing they do not understand, they are very worried about the future of the 50 people who make up their team, despite everything they believe that this can be a motivation to fight for the World Cup (they lead the teams) and they see each other again in the market when they were very close to closing their renewals with Suzuki.

The first to speak was Rins. “Livio (Suppo, the team manager) and Sahara (Suzuki’s head of racing) caught me at the Jerez test, took me to the office and told me about it. It was super hard. I was crying, because I’ve given everything by this team since 2017, giving information to develop a winning bike. And the whole team has given it completely. It was a shock to everyone. Is not easy. In the end I think I can find something for next year, but for them it’s a bit more difficult. And they are like family to me. We have to try to finish the season in the best way. This will be my last weekend with Suzuki at Le Mans, so you have to try to enjoy it, because next year he will be here with another bike”, explained the Catalan about the way in which he met the bomb. And if he understood it He said, “Whether I understand it or not doesn’t matter. We are fighting for the World Cup, we are first in the team classification, so it is very difficult to understand. It is a decision made from the top at Suzuki, and it is what it is.”

On the consequences that this downturn can have in a World Cup in which he is fourth, just 20 points from the head, he believes that this can give him “an extra boost. We have a bike that is the best we have ever had at Suzuki, so we are going to try to show them that they have made the wrong decision. This has come very fast. If they had told me at the beginning of the year, we would not have started negotiating with Suzuki. Having started so well makes what is happening harder, but the decision is what it is and you have to respect it.”

On the new scenario in which the pilot market is now managed, Álex believes that “it is clear that the pilot market has changed. Joan and I are left out, and we have to go somewhere. I don’t want anything bad for another rider, nor for a team to get someone off their bike to get on me… But it’s the only way. It’s very hard that they’ve made the decision. As a rider I have to keep doing what I do every weekend. It seems difficult, but we gives extra motivation The days after the Jerez test were the most complicated, but now there are two paths: either you take the downhill or you continue uphill. You have to take the good one.”

Rins does not lack a sense of humor at a time like this: “When they told us, I personally broke down, I started to cry. In the end it is the feeling you have towards Suzuki. You have been fighting since 2017 giving everything to have a motorcycle competitive, and they pick up and tell you that next year will not continue… The truth is that it has been hard, very hard. Honestly, I do not share the decision, but it is what it is and we have to respect it. In the end, we have to continue doing What we’re doing. Right now on the table I have nothing but the phone, I have nothing else. (Series). My manager will take care of it, he’ll have work to do over the next few weeks, and that’s it”. The truth is that it would be very nice for us to go to the Valencia gala to collect the drivers’ or teams’ title and see the poor Japanese there collecting it… I wouldn’t change anything, the decision has been made and it is what it is. If you tell me if I would stay with Suzuki if they change their minds or not… Wow, I don’t know. The unease of knowing that maybe two years from now they announce again that they are closing would influence me.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The Beast! Scratch 3!

The series has a problem, a la the 800’s, processional racing. It seems that the winglets are the leading culprit then the ride height devices. We are bordering on the 800’s again. I’d like to see them ban winglets, ride height devices, and even launch control. Let the riders do teh work.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mad
My DVR didn't record the race.

Posts: 15133 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The first lap was wild but overall it wasn’t a great race unless you’re a Ducati fan. Aprilia in the hands of Aleix is continuing their run of great finishes. Hopefully Aleix’s teammate will begin to do the same.

Maverick responded to a damn social media troll post so clearly the guy’s confidence is not anywhere near where it needs to be. If he doesn’t find a way to shape up he might find himself without a ride in 2023. Frown He did managed to salvage things after being in dead last but 10th place when your team mate is bagging podiums is not acceptable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Yessssssssss!!!!!!

Finally some good news. Two of my favorite riders will stay on my (new) favorite bike in MotoGP! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I’m surprised that they are keeping Mav. He’s still a headcase and hasn’t wrapped his head around the Ape. It’s a crapshoot when trying to get a new rider but there’s gotta be someone that’s less of a diva.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I think Mav will begin to surprise people soon. The guy went from last to 10th place recently. That’s Marquez like ability to carve his way up the grid.

I’m glad Aprilia kept him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
The guy always needs 5 more laps to win a race Big Grin. The commentators try and play it off by saying it’s because of the lighter fuel load but watching over the past 5 years, it’s always the same story. “Wins” test days, gets shit starts and starts flying through the pack during the last 5 laps. Does he have talent? Obviously…. Can he manage the drama? Nope and it really affects his ability to race. Would I love to be proven wrong? Absolutely!

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
I’m surprised that they are keeping Mav. He’s still a headcase and hasn’t wrapped his head around the Ape. It’s a crapshoot when trying to get a new rider but there’s gotta be someone that’s less of a diva.

He’s already equaled Aleix’s lap times in the race. And he hasn’t even been on the bike 12 months while Aleix has been on it since 2017. Maverick’s problem is his starts. If he can solve that he’ll be right back on the podium and winning races. So yes, he deserves and has earned the ride.

Many riders have sought out sports psychologists, with Fabio beaning the most recent and it worked for him. Maverick won the Moto3 world championship, won 4 races and 9 podiums from 18 starts in Moto2 and he’s won 9 races, 28 podiums and 13 poles in MotoGP. He’s also set lap records. Aprilia is lucky to have him as they don’t have the budget of other mfr’s and teams. He is showing the speed necessary in the races, his starts are the issue. Aprilia see this also.

I’ve heard the same shit about Aleix for years and look at him now.

Posts: 12557 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Look at all those beautiful Ducati machines on the track at Mugello! Cool

It is a race weekend my friends. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I would do that there.
I wouldn't do it at COTA.

Posts: 5015 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/mot...bikes-2023/10311162/

quote:

As first reported by Motorsport.com, Aprilia has signed a two-year deal with an option for a further two seasons that will see RNF become its first satellite team in MotoGP.

This means the team helmed by Razlan Razali and born out of the now defunct Petronas Sepang Racing Team will part ways with Yamaha, having only had a one-year deal with the Japanese marque.

RNF and Yamaha met at Le Mans to settle the matter, but Yamaha asked Razali for more time until Mugello, where the Italian Grand Prix takes place this weekend.

However, the response the Malaysian executive got back in Italy seems to have left him unsatisfied.

It is still unclear whether Yamaha will compete next season with just two bikes, which on paper will be Fabio Quartararo and Franco Morbidelli, or whether it will team up with another squad in view of the void left by Suzuki.

Aprilia has been considering the possibility of a satellite team for some time, although a lack of infrastructure on the one hand and a lack of offers on the other have delayed the consolidation of the project.

A few weeks ago, however, Massimo Rivola, Aprilia's racing CEO, acknowledged to Motorsport.com that this route was not yet dead: "If we receive interesting offers that can make the project grow, we will evaluate it".

Razali is reportedly unsatisfied with the treatment received from Yamaha, especially for the high price he has to pay for the rental of his two bikes - which is considerably higher than the amount asked by Aprilia or Ducati.

As part of the deal, Aprilia will invest in training for engineers, technicians and other team roles, as well as in riders.

"I am happy to announce the agreement with RNF Racing," Aprilia CEO Massimo Rivola said.

"We have always reasoned in small steps and as we demonstrate the competitiveness of our RS-GP, a natural part of the journey is to see two more on track.

"The Noale racing department is a true heritage of knowledge, of technical culture applied to high performance motorbikes as well as sports management.

"With RNF Racing we find a partner to enhance and valorise this extraordinary heritage.

"We are thinking, of course, of the riders and the best competitiveness, but also of raising new generations of engineers, technicians and managers.

"To continue and improve the extraordinary, all-Italian tradition of Aprilia Racing."

WithU, RNF's main sponsor this season, is an Italian company, and would therefore welcome a switch from Yamaha to Aprilia.

One of the best placed riders to land there is Valentino Rossi protege Celestino Vietti, current leader of the Moto2 world championship.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Marc is having a fourth surgery on that right arm. Will miss the rest of the season. Fairly certain he’s done. Maybe a podium here or there, but he’ll never be as dominant as he was before his crash.

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marc is having a fourth surgery on that right arm. Will miss the rest of the season. Fairly certain he’s done. Maybe a podium here or there, but he’ll never be as dominant as he was before his crash.

I guess this means Quartararo will be moving to Honda. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jupiter,

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
An Italian rider on an Italian bike has won the Italian Grand Prix!!! I love it!!! Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Fingers crossed Suzuki’s boys see their luck start to change on their home soil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:

I guess this means Quartararo will be moving to Honda. Big Grin

Honda is speaking to Mir right now. I mean it’s very open in the paddock. Haven’t heard anything on Fabio though.

The RNF switch comes as no surprise as Yamaha was fleecing them and Suzuki nor Aprilia were able to field satellite bikes. And Ducati already provide more bikes than anyone. Then lastly KTM and Honda both control their own houses with a death grip so no chance at either. Aprilia was their only shot. Without sat bikes Yamaha definitely at a disadvantage.

I have a hard time believing Fabio will stay given that Yamaha has stifled in the engine department while everyone else is making strides forward with power and power delivery. Just not a lot of options though. Suzuki is out. Marquez would have a major league problem with the best dude in the paddock right now coming into his house. Ducati are overrun with talent at their disposal. Pecco is showing what he can do and did last year too being the best the 2nd half of the season. Jack keeps showing he is worth keeping at least on the #2 Ducati team. Then you have Martin, who has shown quite the speed but is crashing as of late. And you have Enea, winning multiple races on old bikes. I mean Ducati is awash with talent. It would be a coup for KTM to nab Fabio. Honda seems like the best deal for Fabio but how much is HRC willing to piss Marc off? Time will tell. Marc had a strangle hold on HRC but HRC cannot stand not being #1 in the paddock and will spend more than anyone and always have. Frankie hasn’t done anything on the factory Yamaha so old Lin (Have always thought he was a dick) could be bargaining with Mir and Rins to come on over.