SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Lance Reddick passes unexpectedly at 60yo
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lance Reddick passes unexpectedly at 60yo Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
quote:
Foxnews.com: Lance Reddick, star of 'The Wire' and the 'John Wick' franchise, dead at 60

The actor died 'suddenly' of natural causes on Friday morning, his representative confirmed

Lance Reddick, who starred in "The Wire," "Fringe" and the "John Wick" franchise, has died. He was 60.

The actor died "suddenly" due to natural causes on Friday morning, his publicist Mia Hansen confirmed in a statement to the Associated Press.

Reddick was best known for his leading role as straight-laced Baltimore police lieutenant Cedric Daniels on the hit HBO series "The Wire." His character headed the narcotics division while contending with corruption within the department.

The actor played the multi-skilled Continental Hotel concierge Charon in all the films of the "John Wick" franchise, including "John Wick: Chapter 4, which will be released on March 21.

Reddick did not attend the movie's premiere in New York City on Wednesday night. He posted three photos to Instagram yesterday in which he was seen relaxing on a couch with his dogs.

Reddick starred as special agent Phillip Broyles on the Fox series "Fringe," Matthew Abaddon on "Lost" and Detective Johnny Basil on "Oz." He portrayed Chief Irvin Irving on the Amazon series "Bosch" for its seven-year run from 2014 to 2021.

The actor died "suddenly" due to natural causes on Friday morning, his publicist Mia Hansen confirmed in a statement to the Associated Press.

"I’m an artist at heart. I feel that I’m very good at what I do. When I went to drama school, I knew I was at least as talented as other students, but because I was a Black man and I wasn’t pretty, I knew I would have to work my butt off to be the best that I would be, and to be noticed," he told the Los Angeles Times in 2009.

The Baltimore native earned a SAG Award nomination in 2021 as part of the ensemble for Regina King’s film "One Night in Miami." Reddick played recurring roles on "Intelligence" and "American Horror Story."

His other television credits include "CSI: Miami," "The Blacklist," "Quantum Break" and "Resident Evil." In 2013, he played General Caulfield in Roland Emmerich's 2013 political action thriller "White House Down." Reddick also appeared in "Angel Has Fallen," "Godzilla vs. Kong," "Oldboy" and "Won't Back Down."

Damn shame, I really liked him in Bosch and the John Wick series.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
That really is a shame. He was indeed a very memorable character in most anything I've seen him in.

Died of natural causes at 60. Damn.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this, he played some good roles.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
RIP.
I'm interpreting "suddenly" combined with "natural causes" as mutually exclusive at that young of an age.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite actors. Stellar in every role he's ever been in Frown

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was also a character voice in the video game Destiny 2.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Chief Irving

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingfoot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Chief Irving

That’s what I knew him from, he always looked to be in good shape too. I guess you never know.

Posts: 1839 | Location: Peachtree City, GA | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chief Irving

LT Daniels before that.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
He had a comedic side, too:

https://youtu.be/GU-2C8Ec6co

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Be seeing you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12304 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:
RIP.
I'm interpreting "suddenly" combined with "natural causes" as mutually exclusive at that young of an age.

The leading causes of death by far for US men age 55-64 are heart disease and cancer. I don't understand why you think it's unlikely for a 60 y/o man to suddenly die of natural causes.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Very sad to hear. I remember, a good friend, a Fireman, who has since past, told me he was American. He pulled off that accent so well in John Wick, so natural, I had no idea. Haven’t seen him in much but what I did see him in, he was excellent. RIP.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Both sad and Astonishing. He had posted a brief video on Twitter just a day before and was typical Lance with no signs or issues?

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was great as Agent/Colonel Phillip Broyles on “Fringe,” which we’re re-watching on HBO Max. That is a great show well worth watching.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
The leading causes of death by far for US men age 55-64 are heart disease and cancer. I don't understand why you think it's unlikely for a 60 y/o man to suddenly die of natural causes.
Probably for the same reason I'm thinking this makes no sense. Dying at 60 of "natural causes" makes no sense. This isn't 1723.

If a heart attack at 60 was considered natural causes, we would hear this all the time, but I can't recall the last time I've heard "natural causes" for anyone under 90. This term is usually applied to very aged people- those who have lived well past the average life expectancy, which today is 79 years of age.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BMR:
He was great as Agent/Colonel Phillip Broyles on “Fringe,” which we’re re-watching on HBO Max. That is a great show well worth watching.

All true. I wish I'd known "Fringe" was re-airing on Spectrum cable's HLNHD (Hallmark?). Like too many shows, it kinda went off the rails by the end but fun getting to that point.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
A very memorable actor for sure! The look, voice and stature; you couldn't help but notice his role.

Sorry to see him go and the older I get, the more I think 60 is way too young!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 6guns,

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Chief Irving

LT Daniels before that.

I never did see The Wire

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Probably for the same reason I'm thinking this makes no sense. Dying at 60 of "natural causes" makes no sense. This isn't 1723.

If a heart attack at 60 was considered natural causes, we would hear this all the time, but I can't recall the last time I've heard "natural causes" for anyone under 90. This term is usually applied to very aged people- those who have lived well past the average life expectancy, which today is 79 years of age.

A publicist isn't a medical examiner/pathologist and the decedent certainly hasn't yet had a completed autopsy. With this in mind, the announcement by the publicist is premature. Being 60 years old is certainly not presumptive of anything and unless he was receiving care by a physician for a significant medical condition that would allow the doctor to sign off on a death certificate, this becomes a "Coroner's Case" and an autopsy will occur soon. Regardless of the preliminary results, there will also be blood work and toxicological follow-up that could take weeks.

Regardless of the above, I really liked Mr. Reddick's acting abilities and enjoyed his characters' portrayals in The Wire and Bosh. He was spot on in tone and gave a depth of his characters that was very impressive and realistic. I'm very sad that the man's life ended just when he seemed to be enjoying such an appreciation of his talent. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post