SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
After the thread about Hagrid's death, I decided to finally watch the Harry Potter movies. I've heard a few on audiobook, but never watched the movies. I really enjoyed the escape.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Them were good.

Alan Rickman was exceptional.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
My wife is a BIG fan, she read all the books. We watched the movies in the theater when they came out, and then bought them on DVD - watched them again a couple of years ago.

They are pretty good overall - my favorite one is the one where the other schools come to Hogwarts for the competition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
All of them are currently on HBO Max.

3 and 4 are definitely my favorites (Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire.) The last few kinda lost me but I am looking forward to my kids getting a little older and us going back through them. I think they will be pretty incredible for 10-12 year olds.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
Alan Rickman was exceptional.

+1

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Chamber of Secrets tonight. Smile

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Alan Rickman truly was wonderful.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought the book when it first came out and started reading it with my young boys. They lost interest but I was hooked. Read all the books and watched (and own on DVD) all the movies, all or most more than once. I truly hope my granddaughters will enjoy it all when they are a little older.

Yes Alan Rickman was the singular standout in the movies.

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Watched them years ago with our neighbors and I have to say I was really surprised at how much I enjoy them.

Started reading them with our 9 year old looking forward to him being old enough to enjoy the movies.

On top of that J.K. is giving the left fits so I think it is about time to buy the Blu Ray series. Already have the books.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Our local theater runs "Flashback Cinema" and recently they had the complete HP series on seven consecutive Wednesday evenings. Smile

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

On top of that J.K. is giving the left fits so I think it is about time to buy the Blu Ray series. Already have the books.

Not sure she is 'giving them fits.' She sucked up to the woke crowd and said, AFTER all books had been written, that Dumbledore was gay. The leftists loved her for it. But, as with leftists, she wasn't leftist enough. She made some statement that the leftists freaked out over, calling them 'transphobic' comments. Since then, the wokeists pretty much disavowed here. I think one of the actresses from the Fantastic Beasts movies got sidelined because she supported JKR. "Tina" was a MAJOR character in the first 2 movies, but only had a very marginal role in the last one.

I tried to find what these offensive 'transphobic' comments were. It had to be something absolutely horrible, right? From what I've read, she basically stated some stuff along the line that 'women menstrate' and some other seemingly trivial crap. Of course, wokeists are FANATICAL purists, and they lept on her and basically made her out to be a female Hitler. The 'transphobic' posts were hardly anything AGAINST the trans community - they simply did not support the woke agenda enthusiastically enough.

I read the books several times. They are pretty good, even though I refuse to give any credence to the 'Dumbledore is gay' stuff. If she was REALLY that committed, she would have stated it in the books when she wrote them; not years later to curry favor with the wokeists. There is nothing in the books to indicate she meant for him to be gay all along.

The movies are good adaptations, though with most any book, there is a LOT of stuff left out of the movies. This makes sense. Each movie is around 2 hrs, but the first two books were like 150-200 pages each. Book 4/5/6 were monsters (for childrens' books) at 6-700+ pages each. Naturally, the longer the book, the more had to be cut.

I'm actually impressed how well the movies aged. They were far from perfect, of course, but they had some great actors (Alan Rickman, Dame Maggie Smith, Jason Isaacs, Robbie Coltrain, Gary Oldman. . . ).

Eventually, they will be remade. I don't look forward to this. They will likely go full retard with the wokeism stuff next time around. But, I have the originals on DVD and I have the books. They can't change those on me.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I think they will be pretty incredible for 10-12 year olds.

The Harry Potter films coincided with my son's childhood, he saw the first film Thanksgiving weekend when he was 3 1/2 yo, went with my sister and brother-in-law. I didn't go because at the time, I thought "meh...". He loved it even though he didn't understand half of it, but we went as a family to the 2nd film and we all had a great time. Each subsequent movie was a family event at the theater, a great time to see movies. The last one was kind of sad because a "family tradition" of seeing Harry Potter was no more.

IMO, the films were well done; script writing was good, casting was excellent, direction well done. Acting was far superior to the Star Wars movies, many great British actors involved (Alan Rickman, Ralph Finnes, Gary Oldman, Richard Harris, Kenneth Branagh, John Cleese, etc). Some were better than others but overall, pretty consistent and one of the better movie"franchises". Very enjoyable, especially seeing them with your kids.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I’m in the middle of rewatching the series with the wife and kiddos. More for the wife, i think. We love that series and the Hobbit/LOTR series, and we’re always somewhere in the middle of watching one of those series.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My daughter is 11.
She's seen the first 2 movies & started Azkaban today.
I think she has the first few books, but not sure which she's read.

I've only read book 1 & seen movie 1 & bits of 2-4.

May have to start over at #1 with her & go through all 8.

I just finished The Boys so maybe I'll pre-watch them ahead of her, since I don't have a new show queued up.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
My wife is a BIG fan, she read all the books. We watched the movies in the theater when they came out, and then bought them on DVD - watched them again a couple of years ago.

They are pretty good overall - my favorite one is the one where the other schools come to Hogwarts for the competition.

ditto,

wife is a yuge fan,

I think the last 2 are the best

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Three down. Watched The Prisoner of Azkaban last night. Maybe I'll give it a break for a while and catch up on other stuff.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Three down. Watched The Prisoner of Azkaban last night. Maybe I'll give it a break for a while and catch up on other stuff.

Don't stop now. You've just gotten to the good ones!

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My son was about 10 and an avid reader when the first book was released and grew up through the series. I had always read what ever he was currently reading on my own for dinner conversation and to drive his reading comprehension so I read it when it first came out as well as the rest of them.

I was impressed by how much i enjoyed the books and towards the later books, as he got older, I kept reading them for my own enjoyment. I thought the movies were very well done but I am glad that my son's age meant that he got to experience the books first before seeing the movies later. Now kids will just watch the movies instead of reading the books.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The books were added to Kindle Unlimited so a few years ago, I read them. I was really surprised at how much I liked them. JK is a great story teller.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3574 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Don't stop now. You've just gotten to the good ones!

-Rob

Okay.....watched Goblet of Fire last night. I really am enjoying these!