SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Sink the Bismarck!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Sink the Bismarck! Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
I saw a graphic this morning comparing the size of battleships. The Bismarck was one of them. We’ve had quite a few threads over the years about war movies, I don’t believe Sink the Bismarck! has ever been mentioned. Pretty sure the last time I saw it, I was in grade school. The special effects aren’t very special, but the true story is compelling. I found it free on YT and the commercial breaks weren’t too intrusive. A few of you might want to catch this British movie from 1960, the story takes place in May of 1941 (you’re probably singing the song to yourself now).


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14943 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah. Good movie.

It seems I can hardly even think about a movie like this nowadays without getting almost mad. Mad at how much movies now stink.

It's even more-so when considering movies like this one in particular. Sink the Bismarck!, as you said, isn't a film that's commonly recalled, when considering the war classics, and it's not especially revered as a special piece of cinema history. But it still beats the snot out of most drivel produced now.
 
Posts: 3208 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Kuglespritz
posted Hide Post
I grew up listening to Johnny Horton's Sink The Bismarck. Great song, like most of his other ones.
 
Posts: 789 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I remember the movie and the song. Should this be in the How to say your old thread in the Lounge.
 
Posts: 106 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
No.

The thread was to encourage a few Forum members to go watch a war movie that they may not have thought about.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14943 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
That's what I thought too.

...and because of this thread I watched the entire thing yesterday for the first time in one sitting. Hadn't seen it for decades.
 
Posts: 7964 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Remember the song and movie well, when compared to other ships the Bismark really was nothing exceptional according to the numbers. I worked at Blohm and Voss in Hamburg a few times and they still had a few old bits and pieces from ships they have built over the years and some of the old gearing in storage were supposedly extras for the Bismark according to old timers there.
 
Posts: 4504 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Also free on YouTube.

 
Posts: 5456 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also free on YouTube.
Yeah that's where I watched it.

It was also in the OP. Roll Eyes



I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

...But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by Him shall glory, but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped. - Psalm 63:11 [excerpted]
 
Posts: 7964 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
OP never provided a link. I did.
 
Posts: 5456 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Sink the Bismarck!

© SIGforum 2026