SIGforum
Sink the Bismarck!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/8700062225

September 21, 2026, 03:18 PM
TMats
Sink the Bismarck!
I saw a graphic this morning comparing the size of battleships. The Bismarck was one of them. We’ve had quite a few threads over the years about war movies, I don’t believe Sink the Bismarck! has ever been mentioned. Pretty sure the last time I saw it, I was in grade school. The special effects aren’t very special, but the true story is compelling. I found it free on YT and the commercial breaks weren’t too intrusive. A few of you might want to catch this British movie from 1960, the story takes place in May of 1941 (you’re probably singing the song to yourself now).


_______________________________________________________
despite them
September 21, 2026, 03:39 PM
KSGM
Yeah. Good movie.

It seems I can hardly even think about a movie like this nowadays without getting almost mad. Mad at how much movies now stink.

It's even more-so when considering movies like this one in particular. Sink the Bismarck!, as you said, isn't a film that's commonly recalled, when considering the war classics, and it's not especially revered as a special piece of cinema history. But it still beats the snot out of most drivel produced now.
September 21, 2026, 05:01 PM
Kuglespritz
I grew up listening to Johnny Horton's Sink The Bismarck. Great song, like most of his other ones.
September 21, 2026, 09:41 PM
HGWTJWH
I remember the movie and the song. Should this be in the How to say your old thread in the Lounge.
September 22, 2026, 10:40 AM
TMats
No.

The thread was to encourage a few Forum members to go watch a war movie that they may not have thought about.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
September 22, 2026, 05:36 PM
83v45magna
That's what I thought too.

...and because of this thread I watched the entire thing yesterday for the first time in one sitting. Hadn't seen it for decades.
September 22, 2026, 06:31 PM
fischtown7
Remember the song and movie well, when compared to other ships the Bismark really was nothing exceptional according to the numbers. I worked at Blohm and Voss in Hamburg a few times and they still had a few old bits and pieces from ships they have built over the years and some of the old gearing in storage were supposedly extras for the Bismark according to old timers there.
September 23, 2026, 07:00 AM
DanH
Also free on YouTube.


September 23, 2026, 11:05 AM
83v45magna
quote:
Also free on YouTube.
Yeah that's where I watched it.

It was also in the OP. Roll Eyes



I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

...But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by Him shall glory, but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped. - Psalm 63:11 [excerpted]
September 23, 2026, 11:22 AM
DanH
OP never provided a link. I did.
September 29, 2026, 01:40 PM
Marlin Fan
Great song, great movie.