SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Used CDs on sale - what should I get?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used CDs on sale - what should I get? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
So far, I got:

4 Clapton
1 ZZ Top
1 Led Zep IV
1 DG Chopin
1 DG Bartok
1 Doobie Brothers
1 Dire Straits

None of the electronica suggested.

Jazz is pretty slim pickings as is DG/Telarc/Philips classical.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Second what Steven says.
Since it won't be first pickings, think wide and large and go for the artists instead of the specific albums if theyre not available.

I see lyman's choices are chronologicaly right next to mine. His references were the new names when i was listening to mine. They slightly overlap (PiL, etc.)
The Clash!!!!

0-0

I thought it was mandatory, and even in the waiver, that everyone had to have at least one copy of The Clash's London Calling,

best
album
ever,

and BTW, if you like reggae, and reggae light, get The Specials first 2 albums if they have them

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The Clash? I'll check that out.

I could use more reggae too.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
There's plenty and not enough Bob Marley.
IF you can find Babylon by Bus (live) you are pretty much covered. Not familiar with Peter Tosh and others to recomnend an album.

How about Joy Division?
Jethro Tull, Genesis, early Marillion (with Fish), Alice Cooper, Poco, Peter Gabriel, Camel, Journey, Kansas, early Earth Wind and Fire.... i'm tossing names that were familiar to me by the time Boston appeared and Heart became popular in Europe.
Toto and Foreigner, Madness, Duran duran, Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, Huey Lewis, Killing Joke, Art of Noise, Talking heads, Stranglers. Tears for fears. To name a few Wink

I fancy some Annie Lennox, Sade and Yazzoo now and then.

0-0

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
There's plenty and not enough Bob Marley.
IF you can find Babylon by Bus (live) you are pretty much covered. Not familiar with Peter Tosh and others to recomnend an album.

How about Joy Division?
Jethro Tull, Genesis, early Marillion (with Fish), Alice Cooper, Poco, Peter Gabriel, Camel, Journey, Kansas, early Earth Wind and Fire.... i'm tossing names that were familiar to me by the time Boston appeared and Heart became popular in Europe.
Toto and Foreigner, Madness, Duran duran, Spandau Ballet, Ultravox, Huey Lewis, Killing Joke, Art of Noise, Talking heads, Stranglers. Tears for fears. To name a few Wink

I fancy some Annie Lennox, Sade and Yazzoo now and then.

0-0

dude,

you been peaking at my Album collection???

definitely get some Stranglers, a very under rated band,

speaking of under rated, XTC,,,

Tosh is good,
Steel Pulse is good,

Saw Burning Spear open for the Talking Heads back in the day, the are also excellent,

Bryne did some solo stuff with Brian Eno,, mid 2000's, good stuff as well,

also The Beat, known here as The English Beat,,,

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Since your first post I've been wondering if you were the guy at the record store following my tracks.

Seriously, your suggestions do match exactly what was the new stuff back in my day but i was discovering music and looking backwardd mostly. I was pretty much alone in a foreign country with a foreign language and nothing better to do than buy and listen to music, average 4 albums a week. A lifetime of rock music to catch up.

I recognize almost all of your tastes as being the stuff to research next. Did some of them, a lot. But i was in Europe.

Punks, New Romantics, New Wave, Ska, all big in Brussels. I was more into rock dinosaurs, symphonic rock and anything Beatles related. Later, Jazz, Jazz Rock, Fusion, ECM, etc.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
See if they have "The Phoenix Concerts" by John Stewart.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I am working on a spreadsheet for my daughter who is interested in 70/80 rock. It's incomplete from a song and album perspective, but pretty good from a bands/performers standpoint.

Would you like me to email you a copy?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Moody Blues
Van Halen (pre 5150)
Rush
Alison Krauss if you like Bluegrass or angel voices

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
I am working on a spreadsheet for my daughter who is interested in 70/80 rock. It's incomplete from a song and album perspective, but pretty good from a bands/performers standpoint.

if you are up to sharing , I would love a copy

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
You have email.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Jazz stuff

Don Byas
Ben Webster
John Coltrane

If you come across any, some Charlie Watts (The Stones drummer) are top notch (charlie parker type jazz.

0-0

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
You have email.

Thank you Sir

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

if you are up to sharing , I would love a copy

Me too!! Smile

Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
On the way.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
The Great Jazz Trio has excellent albums, those i got are mostly japanese.
Back in the day, i found that John Miles was an accomplished musician, far beyond his 'Music' only memorable hit song. Great guitar plsyer too.
Early Sting albums were nice and jazzy.

0-0

Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I buy CDs at yard sales for 25¢ to 50¢ each. So, don't overpay, unless it's something you really want.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m surely not on the frontal wave of technology, but I use one of the mostly free apps to stream whatever I want. For me it’s usually IHeartRadio, there are others.

Our phone plan went to just about unlimited data a while back.

Not to say there isn’t a use for CDs, somewhere.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Okay - I think the store is just about cleaned out for me.

I think I scored some decent stuff across classical, jazz, blues, pop, rock. About 30 CDs averaging about $2 each.