SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Used CDs on sale - what should I get?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used CDs on sale - what should I get? Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Local used CD shop is closing its doors. Selling everything.

I don't think they have premium albums (ie - I'd be surprised if they have Philips, DG or Telarc classical CDs).

But they do have 1000's of CDs across Pop, Classical, Jazz, Blues....

Any recommendations for semi-top albums / artists for the following genres?

Pop:
Doobie Brothers
Alabama
Boston
Led Zeppelin
Pat Benatar
....?
Really interested in 60's, 70's, 80's rock. I like it but just don't have any and don't remember who.

Electronica:
Metisse
Bitter:Sweet
Lenka
Maria Cozette
....?

Classical:
Beethoven Piano Concerto #3 (Alice Ott?)
....?

Jazz/Blues/Acoustic:
Stacey Kent
Norah Jones
....?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12720 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Shitloads of Mozart, Bach, Rachmaninov, Chopin.

It pains me to read you put Led Zep as pop so lets add more Pop to that.
The Who, Yes, ELP.

Some crappy bands like U2, The Stones, Allman Brothers, The Eagles, Bowie. Jeff Beck, Clapton, Dire Straits, Supertramp, to name a few.

Big Grin

Some serious Jazz: Thelonious Monk, Chet Baker, Duke Ellington, Canonball Adderley, Keith Jarret, Stan Getz, etc.

Used to love ECM catalogue.

Hope it helps and that you can enjoy some of rhem.

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks!! Some good suggestions and reminders.

Especially Stan Getz - been wanting to get more of him but forgot about him.

I've got many Mozart (open to more though). I'm lacking in Bach and Rachmaninov and Chopin. Also, Liszt, Schumann, and others..... I'd like to get more Classical and Romantic CD's but am overwhelmed by the diversity of composers and performers and labels.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12720 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
electronica,,

the bands below kinda fall into that,

Portishead
Morcheeba
Goldfrapp
Thievery Corporation
Massive Attach
Zero 7,

each can be a bit jazzy too,

if they have it, Numan's past few albums have been very good

dance/electric

JES
Kaskade
Dead Maus
Trentmoller

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10422 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Brandenburg Concertos are a must.
So is Pink Floyd's The Wall.

I love piano and saxophone duos. Archie Shepp has a few, so does Getz. I prefer small jazz groups. Trios and slowly upwards. But for Ellington.

Movie soundracks are sometimes memorable.

0-0

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything on D.G. (Germany) Outstanding quality.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Stevie Ray Vaughn, Art Pepper, Bill Evans...

Japanese pressings have extraordinary sound. I have a Beatles Abbey Road album japanese edition that was released in Japan BEFORE the official world chronological release of the Beatles catalog (don't ask me why) that has sounds i had never heard before.
The japanese know their stuff and have some exclusive and limited editions of great music.

Are you looking for music to listen too and dedicate some quality time, have fun or some nice background noise?

0-0

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Cool - thanks! Writing down the suggestions.

Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
How about a hint of your taste in music?

Lyman and mine don't even intersect. I know of Portishead and Morcheeba but that is all i can say.

Curiously, my country has always been more influenced by the UK rock scene rather than the closest, in geographical terms, american one.

Personally, once i hear domething i like i start researching each individual musician and their work. Served me well learning what i like in Jazz and Jazz Rock. Started this after buying the Rock Family Trees books back in the 80's. You can google the title and have a lot of useful data.

0-0

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The Sundays
Juliana Hatfield
Elastica
Single Gun Theory
Dead Can Dance
Jennifer Trynin
Nine Inch Nails (Pretty Hate Machine)

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Jeff Beck, The Cure, Doors, early Pat Metheny Group, Zappa.

0-0

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like a few genres but really haven't bought much in the past decade or two. Smile

I like jazz. Guitar, Sax or Vocals. Typical standards like Miles Davis. Joe Pass. Haden/Metheny. Stan Getz. But don't really know much beyond the 'top 10' - would like more exposure.

I like old school Rock. 70's and 80's. But 60's is also good. Problem is - I like them when they come on the radio but I can't remember any of the artists / bands I liked so I draw a blank when I go to the store. But I've liked ZZ Top, Boston, Heart and such.

I'm starting to like some of this electronic genre I think (not sure if that's the right genre actually). I like Boom Boom Ba by Metisse. Not sure what genre it is. And would like more stuff like that. Pandora is helpful here.

And I like classical. But like jazz, I'm not an expert and only have stuff that are on anyone's top 10 list. Mozart, Beethoven. But really am not familiar with much beyond them.

So, I wish I had a 'top 20 album list' that everyone should have for each genre. I may have some of it but most are probably something I should get.

posted Hide Post
Oy, I saw Thievery Corporation live once. Not that impressive. I guess they were better than Future Islands.

Anyway... it’s all likely to be cheap, so bring a smartphone (or friend with one) and look up the unfamiliar and maybe take a few flyers. It’s the thrill of discovery that is the big win, here.

Or stock up on Spock’s Beard.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
From the top of my head.

Return to forever - Romantic warrior. Top notch individual musicians from different musical currents in an exceptional combination.
John Abercrombie has great albums. Close to Pat Metheny but different. Also check John Scofield.
Steeleye Dan - Aja and Gaucho.

Used to not like piano, silly me. Then i borrowed some easy listening Oscar Peterson Trio and discovered jazz. Slowly, without preconceptions. Start basic and rhen add more instruments. More talent and sophistication.

0-0

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
somebody here was looking for the soundtrack to "Hardbodies".

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
For how much?
With each song being available for 60mcents to 1.50 each it should be math.... a CD with 4 songs you lik3 is worth 4 to 5 bucks...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
How about a hint of your taste in music?

Lyman and mine don't even intersect. I know of Portishead and Morcheeba but that is all i can say.

Curiously, my country has always been more influenced by the UK rock scene rather than the closest, in geographical terms, american one.

Personally, once i hear domething i like i start researching each individual musician and their work. Served me well learning what i like in Jazz and Jazz Rock. Started this after buying the Rock Family Trees books back in the 80's. You can google the title and have a lot of useful data.

0-0

my list is just one small part of what I listen to,

I would also look at the Cure, Doors, Hendrix, SRV,
Aja by Steely Dan is a great album,

any rounded collection will need some Brubeck, Ray Charles, Miles Davis,

just about any late 50's Blue Note jazz,

then you should have some Costello (both Attractions and Imposters)

PiL and the Pistols,

add in some Paul Weller, Nick Heyward (esp his first solo album, North of a Miracle)

Roxy Music,
Lou Reed,

definitely some Zappa,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10422 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If they are cheap enough get as much and as many as you can.
I ripped all 800 of my CD's to a SSD and play them all on my Alpine car stereo.
As for what to get - ?

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Second what Steven says.
Since it won't be first pickings, think wide and large and go for the artists instead of the specific albums if theyre not available.

I see lyman's choices are chronologicaly right next to mine. His references were the new names when i was listening to mine. They slightly overlap (PiL, etc.)
The Clash!!!!

0-0

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Awesome guys - thanks for the suggestions. I've got a pretty lengthy list.

I stopped by the store for a quick check and the pickings do seem slim. They have thousands of CDs across various genres. And sounds like they have more in a warehouse.

But it seems like most of the 'good' stuff may be gone; the sale sounds like it's been going on for awhile already.

Still, there are probably some good things to be had. Prices seem to range from $1-5 per CD.

They also have DVD/BR, games and books. Overwhelming...... I was hoping for picking up Studio Ghibli stuff but nothing on the shelves.