SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    1980’s- Remember GI Joe?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1980’s- Remember GI Joe? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
The comic series was some heavy shit. I'm still scarred by the issue where that SAW Viper rounded up a bunch of old Joes like Doc, put them in a pit and machine gunned them all. Eek

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I had this as a kid:

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
The comic series was some heavy shit. I'm still scarred by the issue where that SAW Viper rounded up a bunch of old Joes like Doc, put them in a pit and machine gunned them all. Eek

Was that one of the earlier issues? I seem to remember those being a little more "realistic". There were some really off the wall stories in the time I collected the comic (from issues 20-something through 80-something).

I collected every issue of the original Transformers comic and they had a cross-over issue where the US version was published in the UK and theirs in the US. The UK version was definitely hardcore. A bunch of Transformers from both factions died in the issue. A big difference from how the US version was handled.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Do any of you remember that GI Joe movie with the cobra commander origin story and the weird snake people.
That was pretty dark.

That was intended to be a feature length movie in theaters but after the Transformers movie didn’t meet expectations and Hasbro got so much heat for the level of violence, the GI Joe flick got edited and made into a 5 part series for TV. Duke was supposed to die but there was such an uproar over the death of Optimus Prime that Duke was spared.

Orguss, if you go back and look at the first 10 or so of the original US Transformers comics, a lot of characters were killed. I think it was Shockwave that went on a killing spree. Then there’s Optimus Prime who died several times. Once he was saved on a floppy disk until they could rebuild his body. LOL

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

Was that one of the earlier issues? I seem to remember those being a little more "realistic". There were some really off the wall stories in the time I collected the comic (from issues 20-something through 80-something).

I collected every issue of the original Transformers comic and they had a cross-over issue where the US version was published in the UK and theirs in the US. The UK version was definitely hardcore. A bunch of Transformers from both factions died in the issue. A big difference from how the US version was handled.

Don't have the issues at hand; they're at my parents', if they haven't gotten rid of them.

From what I recall, that scene was part of the storyline involving the Joes involvement in some South American civil war. I'm pretty sure Quick Kick and maybe Jinx got killed in that same episode.

The parallel storyline in those same issues was about Snake Eyes and Scarlett's relationship and the Arishikage ninja clan. I believe to help Snakes get over Scarlett's being in a coma (Baroness shot her in the head), Stormshadow put Snakes in the Arishikage mindset and turned him into an emotion-less killing machine, then parachuted him into some Soviet republic where he met with some traveling circus people.

I think??

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
No I don’t remember that GI Joe cartoon movie because IT NEVER FUCKING EXISTED. That is All. Smile

The cartoon was fun but I was into the comic books and the toys.

If you want to see a really cool cartoon take on GI Joe look for GI Joe Resolute. It was awesome.

Also. GI Joe renegades wasn’t half bad.

And remember KNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE!! The other half being unrelenting force of violence of course. Smile

Watched Resolute with my son last night. It was a good take on it. Used to watch GI Joe every day after school.

Zartan was awesome

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post