SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Loki Discussion Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loki Discussion Thread Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
So, saw the first episode of Loki this past Friday.

IT WAS AMAZING!!!!

I would watch a show with Tom Hiddleston, in character as Loki, recite tax code or just randomly wander around a flea market for an hour or two. So, he is in rare form in this show, and FINALLY has a stand-alone vehicle to focus on his character, instead of just being a "also starring" role in Thor, Avengers, etc.

Owen Wilson is also excellent in this one, as well (though his nose looks EXTRA broken for some reason).

I won't spoil anything, but it is WAYYYYY better than Falcon/Winter Soldier and even better than Wandavision.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Agreed on all counts.

My son and I can't wait for the next episode.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The TVA is NOT the Tennessee Valley Authority Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife and I like it. I had no idea how Wilson would be, but he's great. Tom Hiddleson, of course, is excellent. My wife were inspired to watch the original Thor from 2011 (!), and wow, he and Helmsdale look SO much younger.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
cigar smoking 11b4
Picture of goatboyz
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone can explain to me (mind you I'm not a marvel universe connoisseur), why a god can get so manhandled by an overweight female time enforcer? Struck me as a bit difficult to overlook while watching...

‎"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me."
-- Archilocus, 650 B.C.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Behind the cheddar curtain. | Registered: July 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
goatboyz,

It was explained that none of his powers, nor that of the tazerac (SIC?) and infinity stones worked in the TVA area.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I thought the first episode was great up until they started speculating on the identity of the villain.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
My wife says Owen Wilson has a dick nose and that makes him a gay brown noser. Big Grin

But she and I both agree, we're waiting for the next episodes.

I just wish Wanda would have a second season. Frown

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I thought the first episode was great up until they started speculating on the identity of the villain.

Nah, think about the teserac and what happened in Endgame.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
The first episode was pretty entertaining.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goatboyz:
Maybe someone can explain to me (mind you I'm not a marvel universe connoisseur), why a god can get so manhandled by an overweight female time enforcer? Struck me as a bit difficult to overlook while watching...

It took me a while to accept that part, as well. Basically, the 'people' (if they are even humans) that work at TVA function on a MUCH higher level than we are accustomed to seeing, either in real life or in the MCU. So, compared to us puny Earthlings, Loki is a demi-god and would be considered a 'meta-human,' since he has super powers. Even among the Avengers, only the ones with super powers themselves (Capt America, Hulk, Thor, Bucky, T'Chala) could match him one-on-one (or Ironman, but ONLY with his suit on).

In the TVA, it was clearly demonstrated that things operate very differently. Loki's super/magic powers don't work, which effectively de-powers him down to 'puny human' level. For example, the Infinity Stones (which were established as THE greatest power in our universe) were literally a dime a dozen and used as paperweights. I mean, with six stones, Thanos could literally wish away half of all life in the universe. At the TVA, they had 18 of them just thrown in a random drawer.

Added to this, the technology at the TVA is far above anything we've seen on Earth. They have the ability to use this tech to alter the flow of time (imagine the benefit in a fight of being able to slow your opponent down to 1/16th speed). Loki is a fish out of water, struggling to operate without his normal level of power, not understanding where he is or who these people are, facing an experienced TVA Enforcer who is VERY good at her job, and who is also utterly unimpressed with Loki's bluster and threats.

It's no wonder he got his butt handed to him at first.

But, then, Loki showed his potential and demonstrated why he is such a dangerous threat by very quickly co-opting this tech, turning it on his captors, and running amok at TVA with it. This is quite impressive, and from the looks of it, this was the first time a 'suspect' ever did anything close to this. He totally man-handled the Enforcer once HE got control of their tech, and used it to escape (he was only caught because he stopped trying to escape once he saw his future).

Imagine Genghis Khan arriving on the streets of modern day New York, and IMMEDIATELY getting tazed, disarmed, and cuffed and stuffed in the back of a cruiser by an experienced riot cop (or even a rookie on his first day on the job). It is essentially the same thing. Given time to accept the new reality and maybe comprehend the technology, he could eventually run amok. But, the initial shock would be almost debilitating.

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
he and Helmsdale look SO much younger
You mean Chris Hemsworth?

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
he and Helmsdale look SO much younger
You mean Chris Hemsworth?

Yes.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

While true, I LOVE that some of the tech they use might actually be similar to that. Lots of knobs, levers, phones with dials, and Bakelite.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

While true, I LOVE that some of the tech they use might actually be similar to that. Lots of knobs, levers, phones with dials, and Bakelite.

Yeah, I LOVE the antique aesthetic they use throughout the TVA. It gives it a very other-worldly, yet vaguely familiar feel.

bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I feel like Loki’s former appearances in MCU films were simply paving the way for this. What a great first episode, IMO.

Owen Wilson has a great affect for his character too.

The writing seemed smart without being to high on its own stink like wokies are want to do lately.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would watch a show with Tom Hiddleston, in character as Loki, recite tax code or just randomly wander around a flea market for an hour or two. So, he is in rare form in this show, and FINALLY has a stand-alone vehicle to focus on his character, instead of just being a "also starring" role in Thor, Avengers, etc.

Hiddleston has always maintained that Thor 1, Avengers 1, Thor 2, and Thor 3 were in fact actually titled Loki 1 through 4.

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Episode 2 dropped yesterday (Wed 6/16). Outstanding. Excellent writing, acting, and production continues...

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yes, e2 was awesome!!

Better than some fox flying a spaceship. Razz

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'll be the one... I've watched the first two episodes and found them entertaining. But something is nagging at me. Something rings hollow. Can't put my finger on it but that's what I'm feeling.

USN (RET), COTEP #192