SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    You ever try to find a location in a movie or TV show?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You ever try to find a location in a movie or TV show? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
^^Did you find the big "W"? Big Grin

As of ten years ago there was only one stump left. Frown

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Saw this in San Fran when I was 14. This was before the age of cell phones. I was stoked to recognize the intersection from Star Trek.

Yes yes, nothing fancy but to me it was.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Movie "Giant" was filmed in Marfa, Texas. Big house in the movie was a prop. Actors hung out in a bar in downtown Marfa. Photos or James Dean, Liz Taylor and Rock Hudson posted there.

Many movies and TV programs filmed at "Old Tucson" site which closed down last year.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Spent summers in Montana with relatives around the state growing up. When I was around 12 they were filming Thunderbolt and Lightfoot with Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges around 1973. It was big news in the state, me and another kid road bikes to where we herd they were filming in Great Falls got to see Clint Eastwood and Jeff Bridges.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

But that's all local stuff for me.

Hey CPD. What about some of the Chicago spots in the movie “The Package”?[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember that movie. IIRC, there was a shot from the State Street "EL" line. Cant remember if it was in the background, or there was a sniper in the building connected to the platform...
Now I gotta watch the movie again! Cool

LaSalle St looking south from Adams is a pretty famous view with a old school roaring 20's feel to it. It's been used in a lot of movies (Fugitive, There was a shitty Lawrence Fishburn movie, I want to say "Hoodlum" which has THE WORST shoot out ever filmed, but it was filmed on that street.)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
^^Did you find the big "W"? Big Grin

As of ten years ago there was only one stump left. Frown

That's a place I've always wanted to go to.
I'm almost positive that I have a picture of my Grandparents under the "W".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8342 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Saw this in San Fran when I was 14. This was before the age of cell phones. I was stoked to recognize the intersection from Star Trek.

Yes yes, nothing fancy but to me it was.

Looks like 'The Continental' from JW.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been to a few Movie locations out west:

1. Palace Resturant and Saloon in Precott, AZ; Steve McQueen's "Junior Bonner" filmed scenes there.
2. Valley of Fire State Park just outside Las Vegas, NV; several scenes from "The Professionals" with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster were filmed there. Infact, a small wooden wall and remnants of a railroad track area are still present. Also scenes from "Bite the Bullet" were filmed there, in addition to Red Rock Canyon National Recreation Area just outside LV.
3. Ghost town of Grafton in S. Utah was used as a location for Etta's house in "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid". (The hard part is finding out how to cross the river to get to it!)
4. Warner Valley just outside St. George in southern Utah. I drove through it many years ago; it was still wild and undeveloped then. It was a location for Warner Brothers western films back in the 40's and 50's.
5. Red Rock Canyon State Park in southern California; a zillion westerns has been filmed there including "Big Country" with Charleton Heston and Gregory Peck, and many TV westerns of the 50's and 60's.
6. Snow Canyon just outside St. George, Utah; site of scenes from "Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford.
7. Columbia State Park near Sonora and Jamestown, California; the scene in "Pale Rider" where Eastwood goes and picks up his guns from the Wells Fargo office. When I last visited there, it was still a real working Wells Fargo office! There was a house there that was also used in "High Noon" with Gary Cooper.
8. Angel's Camp, California has a spectacular real historical Court house, jail and jail yard (where the gallows was). The Court house was used in a "Little House on the Prairie" episode. (I suspect other films and TV programs used it as well; it is beautifully preserved.)
9. Mono Lake in California where "High Plains Drfiter" with Eastwood was filmed.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How could I forget!

10. Monument Valley in northern Arizona; site of many westerns especially by John Ford, including "Rio Grande" with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara, "She Wore A yellow Ribbon" also with JW, and "Back to the Future" Part 3 with Micheal J Fox.

Posts: 309 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The parking garage scene from Captain America:Civil War (supposedly Germany) was my work parking in Midtown Atlanta. They blocked the top 2 floors for the day. Which wasn’t a really big deal, no one parked up there. Ran across 2 crew in the elevator, they seemed nice.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not deliberately.

Visiting family in West-Berlin in summer of '84, i took an American friend with me, and visited the Zitadelle in Spandau (old Spandau Fortress; not where Rudi was being held; They would not let me in to see him at the real Spandau location).

Anthony Edwards would jump in to the Zitadelle's moat in the movie Gotcha, '85, to escape from pausing KGB agents.

When visiting family in '87, I had to to go the Burger King on the Ku'damm, In West-Berlin where Anthony Edwards ordered 'an American Burger, with American fries and an American Milkshake), after he escaped from East-Berlin. This specific Burger King was gone by 1990. There were 3 of them within a block in '84.

I guess downtown Las Vegas, Fremont Street, and Circus Circus, where scenes from Diamonds are Forever, were filmed. The old Hilton too, which I think was the 'Whyte House' were Jimmy Dean, Willard Whyte in the movie was, which really was Blofeld with the voice mimic device.

By chance, a number of places in San Francisco where several movies had scene filmed, such as Star Trek 4 and a few Dirty Harry movies.

I've had lunch many times in the Szechuan Restaurant where a scene from the movie 'Management' with Jennifer Anniston was filmed very close to me - 3 miles or so.

Of course, Bridge of Spies, but was back in '80 for me, walked as far on Glienecke Bridge from the West Berlin side as I legally could - was not very far as I recall. Going to the Bridge post '89 is not the same experience / ambiance.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RoboV
posted Hide Post
I watched a scene being filmed from the movie JFK.

I was working at the Federal Reserve Bank filling in for a tech on vacation the week they were filming on Camp street.

I was lucky to catch the scene being shot. I went out for lunch. Ordinarily when I would go out for lunch I would cross Poydras street and go in the opposite direction, as luck would have it not this day.

If my memory is correct the camera was setup in the middle of Girod street behind a Federal building, the cross street being Camp Street.

There were 3 actors in the scene. I recognized Kevin Costner right away. I didn't know who the other two actors were. After seeing the movie I know now they were Michael Rooker and Jay Q. Sanders. There were only about 10 people watching them shoot the scene, we were standing line abreast behind the camera(s). The actors were on the other side of the camera(s) walking away from us.

One thing I remember most is being stared at for quite some time by Oliver Stone. I'm pretty sure he was staring at me, I don't recall anyone being behind me. He was about 50 feet away.

At the time the computer company I worked for had a dress code for the techs. We were to wear dark blue or black pants with a white shirt and tie. They wanted us to emulate techs that worked for IBM. Coming back from lunch I had my sunglasses on and way back then I had a full head of dark hair.

I wondered what Oliver Stone was thinking when he looked down the street at me. Did I look like a government agent and did he think I was there to spy? Did he want me to be in the movie? Or maybe he just thought I was the local idiot.

In hindsight I should have walked up and talked to him in between shots.

There almost always seems to be film or tv crews around New Orleans. While I've seen film crews setup around here that's the only time I remember a scene being filmed.

"Lion Heart is all heart, Smarty Jones is all out!!!"

Posts: 621 | Location: Destrehan, La. U.S. | Registered: October 22, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:

But that's all local stuff for me.

Hey CPD. What about some of the Chicago spots in the movie “The Package”?

I vaguely remember that movie. IIRC, there was a shot from the State Street "EL" line. Cant remember if it was in the background, or there was a sniper in the building connected to the platform...
Now I gotta watch the movie again! Cool

LaSalle St looking south from Adams is a pretty famous view with a old school roaring 20's feel to it. It's been used in a lot of movies (Fugitive, There was a shitty Lawrence Fishburn movie, I want to say "Hoodlum" which has THE WORST shoot out ever filmed, but it was filmed on that street.)[/QUOTE]

I think you are right on the “EL”. IIRC correctly Tommy Lee Jones “sniper’s nest” was behind some big plywood Christmas decoration/s on or attached to the “EL”.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I worked in The News Building in NYC for a number of years in the early 2000s.
The lobby is shown in the 1978 Superman movie as the Daily Planet lobby.

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
John has a
long moustashe
Picture of john1
posted Hide Post
"Mr. Majestyk" was filmed in the towns along Hwy. 50 in Colorado and The Majestyk Bar is in Manzanola (bar scene site). I drove past there often (but never stopped).

Charles Bronson had been in the area earlier (1955) for "Big House U.S.A." that was filmed in Canon City at Territorial Prison (drove past there often, too) and the Royal Gorge,

Just down the road is Bent's Old Fort NHS that was in the both TV mini series "Centennial" and "How the West Was Won". I worked there in the 80s a few years after the films were made.

And for those of us of a certain age-I grew up watching Broderick Crawford in the TV series "Highway Patrol". There's a book on "Highway Patrol Locations Then and Now" that's kind of fun.

If TV shows count, I did live in the real "South Park" for 35 years...

Posts: 593 | Location: Rural NW Oklahoma | Registered: June 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:

/QUOTE]

Looks like 'The Continental' from JW.

That's the Columbus Tower, owned by Francis Ford Coppola, with his restaurant below. He bought it from the band Kingston Trio.

Growing up in San Francisco, I was surrounded by notable movie locations. Every once in awhile, there was notices posted in the neighborhood about filming announcements and parking restrictions; you knew it was a big production when they offered distant parking & shuttle service to residents. When The Rock was being filmed at the corner of my block, I could walk out the door and snuck a donut off the catering table that was laid-out on the sidewalk a door down from us.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I was surprised to discover that Brody’s house in the first few seasons of Homeland was filmed in Charlotte North Carolina. I have family there but have not driven by the house yet.

Carrie’s lake house scenes were filmed at Lake Norman near Mooresville. I’ve been boating on that lake many times but I have not found the house they filmed it at yet. I hope to figure out where it is and boat past it this summer.

2462 Brawley School Rd, Mooresville NC

Map

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Growing up in San Francisco, I was surrounded by notable movie locations.

Oh yeah. Me and my buddy watched them film Ang Lee's Hulk in S.F. There were notices on my other buddy's office door stating that they were filming a movie, so don't freak out over the huge military presence in the area.

My friend and I were walking around North Beach to see if we could find where they were filming. We eventually turned up a street to see a fake cable car smashed into a mound of rubble, and a hill with some flipped-over cars, with one parked car with a fire hydrant in the windshield. I said, "I'm guessing we're close."

Unfortunately, we did not get to see Jennifer Connelly. We did see Ang Lee and Sam Elliott. We watched a bunch of soldiers drive troop carriers around a corner and bail out, leveling rifles and rocket launchers at a really bored-looking assistant holding a cardboard head on an aluminum pole with "15'" written on the head. Then, the soldiers jumped into their trucks and drove up the hill and did it again five or six times. That was kind of interesting.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Excellent!! Thank you KDR!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I once went to a place and realized a couple days later it was in a movie.
In High School I went to Anaheim and Los Angeles for a National Competition. We were out and about exploring and got hungry and stopped at an El Pollo Loco in a strip mall for lunch.
A couple days later got home and either TBS or TNT was playing Falling Down all weekend so I watched the fantastic movie and hot damn if the El Pollo Loco I ate at was not the one in the Phone Booth Scene

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post