SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    You ever try to find a location in a movie or TV show?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You ever try to find a location in a movie or TV show? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
The barn used in Days of Thunder (Mooresville NC) isn't far from me. It's a bit more run-down, but they still sell Christmas trees on the land every year.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
The parking garage scene from Captain America:Civil War (supposedly Germany) was my work parking in Midtown Atlanta. They blocked the top 2 floors for the day. Which wasn’t a really big deal, no one parked up there. Ran across 2 crew in the elevator, they seemed nice.

The Berlin complex where they took the Winter Soldier after his capture were actually the Reichstag and parliamentary annexes, with some CGI make-up applied (the Reichstag's distinctive dome was covered up, among other things). The helipad for the escape scene was in fact on top of the building I worked in at the time, though it wasn't real; it's just the circular roof of the European Affairs committee's chamber. Some of the "interior" shots looked similar, but I don't think any were taken inside. Never saw any film crews either, and back when Tom Cruise asked to shoot some scenes for "Mission Impossible III" at the Reichstag, that was denied as unbecoming the dignity of the location.

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I went Robins Nest and swam in Magnums tidal pool back in 2007. Went to all the other famous spots as well. Living in the NY/NJ area I have seen a lot of locations.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
After watching MTV the day prior. I was at an abandoned house and realized it was the 'Love Shack' used in the video.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
BansheeOne--Funny you mention film locations in Berlin. I was a student at the Free University in 1965-66, and one day I came across a location shooting on campus. Except they had a bunch of kids running out of a building (maybe the Henry Ford Bau, not sure) as if they were leaving school at the end of a school day.
I was told by one of the crew that they were filming Funeral in Berlin, Len Deighton thriller. Turned out it wasn't, I saw the movie and never saw that scene. Some years later I saw The Quiller Memorandum with George Segal, and there was that scene. I also remembered having seen Segal on the set.
Back in the Cold War a lot of films were set in Berlin, a few shot there.
One of my favorites is One, Two, Three by Billy Wilder. Checking IMDB: it looks like it was shot in 1961, before Die Mauer went up.

Posts: 18056 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I like visiting filming locations. One of my favorites was when I grabbed brunch at the Quality Cafe in L.A., after I saw it featured in so many movie and TV shows. It eventually shut down as a restaurant and became just a filming location, until it was gutted to become part of the Teragram Ballroom in 2014.

The Quality Cafe

Some other places I've checked out:

—Thanks to Universal Studios Halloween Horror Nights, the Psycho house. I had always wanted to check that out up close.

—The Vanishing Point Shell Station where Kowalski meets the bulldozers.

—The train station where Peter Dinklage lived in The Station Agent.

Posts: 5585 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Road Trip scene filmed at the Gwinnett Diner. I lived and worked about a half mile from it. It's a donut shop now

I didn't know they had filmed it until I saw it in the movie and recognized it immediately

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Kincaid Tower, KY Central Life Lexington KY, 1979 AJ Backunas died doing a stunt jump off of the building doubing George Kennedy while filming the movie Steel.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure,
Charles Bronson a mansion in The Mechanic ( L.A.)

The Galaxy Quest house on the hilltop above L.A.

And The Second Hand Lions house in Texas.

Also like to watch the backgrounds in old tv shows to see if the stores ,shops and buildings are still around.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started in BFE Queensland Australia, drove 14hrs towards the middle of nowhere, got pulled over going 160km/hr in a 90(and I was on the brakes hard when he clocked me) to the bar where they filmed Crocodile Dundee. Bartender: "Mate, you shoulda just watched the move, what'ya drinkin?".

2021-06-11_04-48-26 by Andy Snider, on Flickr

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The closing scene from the movie Oh Brother Where Art Thou was filmed in "downtown" Edwards, MS. It's about halfway between Vicksburg and Jackson.
The row of buildings and the house on the hill are still there. The wooden bridge over the railroad tracks has been replaced by a concrete structure.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I went to the site of District 12 from the Hunger Games, which was filmed in NC not too far from where I lived. The GF at the time was obsessed with the books, so I drove us there.

Was at the location of the filming of the Syfy channel show Haven in Lunenberg outside Halifax, NS while the show was still on the air. The GF at the time (a different one than the previous one) lived in Halifax, so we were there frequently enough. Saw some of the actors.

I know some other movies were filmed in and around Halifax. I think the Willem Dafoe movie The Lighthouse was filmed at one of the places I visited during that time and we were still exploring the place.

I also inadvertently walked through the set of a filming of Dawson's Creek when they were filming miscellaneous footage on my college campus. Roll Eyes

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
"Charlie's" house from Top Gun is just outside of Camp Pendleton. I passed by when I visited my daughter there a few years ago. It's fenced in and there's a billboard stating it's role in Top Gun.

I've also been to Petra, Jordan. The location of The Holy Grail from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
BansheeOne--Funny you mention film locations in Berlin. I was a student at the Free University in 1965-66, and one day I came across a location shooting on campus. Except they had a bunch of kids running out of a building (maybe the Henry Ford Bau, not sure) as if they were leaving school at the end of a school day.
I was told by one of the crew that they were filming Funeral in Berlin, Len Deighton thriller. Turned out it wasn't, I saw the movie and never saw that scene. Some years later I saw The Quiller Memorandum with George Segal, and there was that scene. I also remembered having seen Segal on the set.
Back in the Cold War a lot of films were set in Berlin, a few shot there.
One of my favorites is One, Two, Three by Billy Wilder. Checking IMDB: it looks like it was shot in 1961, before Die Mauer went up.

Some locations will actually show up in films not set in the city, particularly sci-fi. In addition to period pieces like "Bridge of Spies", "Atomic Blonde" etc., Tempelhof Airport serves as a background in both the live-action and animated parts of "The Congress" (2013). "Aeon Flux" and "Equilibrium" used a lot of distinctive local architecture, the latter including a subway station just outside my old office.

https://www.movie-locations.co...vies/a/Aeon-Flux.php

https://www.movie-locations.co...es/e/Equilibrium.php

Posts: 2416 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost forgot: while not a "location" per se, I did make a trek up to Tom's Restaurant in NYC which is the exterior for "Monk's Cafe" in Seinfeld. They never actually filmed there, the interior diner set was on a sound stage.

Interesting footnote: Tom's Restaurant was also the inspiration for the Suzanne Vega song "Tom's Diner".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Puckpilot78,

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Here's one I found on Street View.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
...train station where Peter Dinklage lived in The Station Agent.
Nice - did you walk the right of way?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: f2,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Mmm.. I did drive like two hours out of my way to see Meteor Crater because I'd seen it in Starman, but it's not like I went looking for it, I knew exactly where it was. lol The person I was with had neither heard of it or seen the movie. They almost didn't believe me, thought I was joking.

Same trip I visited Goblyn Valley. When I eventually saw Galaxy Quest several years later I went 'What? Wait a second!"

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
Having been stationed at Schofield Barracks, HI, I've been to a lot of locations from Magnum, P.I. and Hawaii Five-O. Tour of Duty also did some filming near a warehouse my unit had equipment stored in.

Rainman was filmed in and around the Cincinnati area. I've been to Pompilio's (where Raymond counted the toothpicks on the floor) many times. St Anne's Convent was the location used for Walbrook. I had three aunts who were Divine Providence nuns who lived there, and we used to have annual family reunions there for many years. Also, a childhood friend had a small speaking role as the police officer who tells Tom Cruise to get back in his car at the accident scene.

Posts: 1647 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MoreCowbell
posted Hide Post
Having grown up and still living in Queens NY I have been to a lot of movie locations.The one that stands out the most for me is the diner from goodfellas where Deniro knocks over the phone booth me and my friends used to eat there all the time after a night out,years before the movie was made.A few years ago while on one of my road trips I did go to the field of dreams in Iowa it was really cool.

Posts: 117 | Registered: January 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post