SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    You ever try to find a location in a movie or TV show?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You ever try to find a location in a movie or TV show? Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
I am currently re-watching the first season of The Rookie and one episode ends with the camera panning up to show downtown L.A. I decided to see if I could find it using Google Earth and discovered it is a street about half a mile from Dodgers Stadium. Anyone else ever do something like this?

From the show:

Google Earth:

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Yes, driving to to my sister’s house in northern NJ, I get to her neighborhood and have this very weird sense of deja vu, even though I’ve never been there before as she had only moved there recently.

I started looking things up and it turns out that the house Doug & Carrie Heffernan lived at (the exterior shots) on The King of Queens was like 10 miles away.

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I've been to Southfork ranch, if that counts.

Being a Dirty Harry fan, I visited about a dozen places in SF that appeared in the films.

I've also found most of the places that flash by in this video...

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10900 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I used to live a few blocks from this intersection shown during the famous chase scene in Bullitt:

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hit about 90% of the places in the Blues Brothers.
Drove by the house in Uncle Buck. Friend of a friend works in the movie business (mostly props and scenes as in building them) and has the actual kitchen from the movie. He bought a retired Chicago Fire House and lot next door and uses it for his business. Renovated the 2nd floor as his living space, downstairs as his work area... Pretty cool crib!
The house in Home Alone, a lot of places from Ferris Buelers Day Off, 16 Candles and Breakfast Club, Thief (with James Caan), Contagin used the National Guard Armory on Cottage Grove by University of Chicago, the movie The Break Up (Vince Vaughn & Jennifer Aniston) was filmed inside the armory as well. been to a lot of the places in The Fugitive (hell, a lot of the extras in that movie are actual Chicago Cops, and I either worked with or knew them), Risky Business, Batman, there's a long story on how I met Johnny Depp during the filming of Public Enemies (odd fella, but pretty cool at the time), Christain Bale seemed pretty down to earth as well. The Road to Perdition was filmed down the block from the 005th Dist when I worked there. Got into a little trouble when I went flying through the set in my squad car to an "Officer needs assist" call, but that shit got straightened out pretty quick. The Untouchables too.

But that's all local stuff for me.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like this guy?

Forrest Gump: https://youtu.be/gwlYtACzdb4

Shawshank Redemption: https://youtu.be/UcGWkDMk8D4

I've recognized not so famous places in movies. For example in The Town with Ben Affleck when they rob the armored truck the "bank" is actually a laundry mat on Salem Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@4...3D100!7i16384!8i8192

Posts: 797 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The husband of couple we went to NOLA with a few weeks ago is a big 007 fan, I helped him find this intersection from Live and let die. It looked quite different, took us a minute to figure it out. I used this video to verify

We then stumbled into a museum and learned quite a bit about the "Second Line" leader of the Olympia Jazz band

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
With all that's getting shot in Berlin ... I actually saw some of the production for the fifth season of "Homeland" on my way to work back then, and one location for "Counterpart" was on the street my local brother lives on.

Of course what irks you as a local is how productions play fast and lose with your city's geography, like Jason Bourne jumping into the Spree River at Friedrichstraße Station, then emerging on Kurfürstendamm two-and-a-half miles downstream and one inland the next shot. OTOH, "Berlin Station" made a notable effort to be faithful to this.

Posts: 2412 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
pre plandeminc, wife and I thought of going to the UK to visit 'Port Wenn' the fictional home of Doc Martin

it's actually Port Isaac

we watch a lot of UK TV shows, including several series that are down in a historical way with Ruth Goodman,

one is Edwardian Farm, set in a location in Cornwall that this not that far from Port Isaac,

meanwhile, here in the States, a lot of stuff has been filmed here in Central VA,
a lot of Turn was filmed in a field about 20 minutes from where I am typing,
numerous movies and documentaries filmed in Richmond and Petersburg,

my Mothers best friend was married to a guy that was a retired trucker,
after he retired , he started driving as a contractor for a couple of production houses moving equipment and trailers from storage to sets/locations,

he used to keep us in the know as far as what was filming in this area

unfortunately he passed last year

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107486 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
When in Venice I made sure to find the Hotel Danieli and Chiesa di San Barnaba, which you may recognize as the Library in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't try to find it, at my last job I got to stay at the Plaza Hotel in Las Vegas, NM where they filmed some scenes in No Country for Old Men. Most famous being the staircase where Anton follows Carson up to his room. Fortunately I made it out alive.

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Sort of, in person. In '88 Spalding Gray released Terrors of Pleasure, a film/monologue mostly about a small cabin he bought in upstate New York. "The little house that cried", falling down, sinking... a subject that was very personal and near and dear to my heart (and still is today, only now the family cabin in upstate NY is far worse) Smile I watched it many times, and became sort of obsessed. So on one of my fairly frequent trips at the time to the Gun Parts Corp/Numrich Arms in West Hurley, I decided to see if I could find it.
This was '90-91? So for me pre-internet, pre-GPS. I had no actual address, no idea what it looked like (assuming the shots in the movie weren't of the actual cabin), just the vague directions he gave in the film and a road map. I found all the roads and landmarks he mentioned, but have no idea if I ever saw the cabin in question.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
I hit about 90% of the places in the Blues Brothers.
Drove by the house in Uncle Buck. Friend of a friend works in the movie business (mostly props and scenes as in building them) and has the actual kitchen from the movie. He bought a retired Chicago Fire House and lot next door and uses it for his business. Renovated the 2nd floor as his living space, downstairs as his work area... Pretty cool crib!
The house in Home Alone, a lot of places from Ferris Buelers Day Off, 16 Candles and Breakfast Club, Thief (with James Caan), Contagin used the National Guard Armory on Cottage Grove by University of Chicago, the movie The Break Up (Vince Vaughn & Jennifer Aniston) was filmed inside the armory as well. been to a lot of the places in The Fugitive (hell, a lot of the extras in that movie are actual Chicago Cops, and I either worked with or knew them), Risky Business, Batman, there's a long story on how I met Johnny Depp during the filming of Public Enemies (odd fella, but pretty cool at the time), Christain Bale seemed pretty down to earth as well. The Road to Perdition was filmed down the block from the 005th Dist when I worked there. Got into a little trouble when I went flying through the set in my squad car to an "Officer needs assist" call, but that shit got straightened out pretty quick. The Untouchables too.

But that's all local stuff for me.

Hey CPD. What about some of the Chicago spots in the movie “The Package”?

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anatomy Of A Murder was filmed in the Yoop. Thunder Bay Inn, Mt. Shasta and the Lumberjack Tavern are still standing and visible on Google Earth.
My main Google Earth fun these days is watching 50s (Highway Patrol) and 60s TV shows on MeTV and then looking for the locations.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16066 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
a lot of Turn was filmed in a field about 20 minutes from where I am typing,

A lot of Turn actually took place about 20 minutes from where I'm typing. Smile

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like to look up locations from the film "It's a mad, mad, mad, world" made in 1963. So much has changed but a lot of the desert shots look the same. If I ever get to California I would like to drive the 200 mile route that the film covered.

Posts: 602 | Location: NW Pa. USA | Registered: January 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^Did you find the big "W"? Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I was surprised to discover that Brody’s house in the first few seasons of Homeland was filmed in Charlotte North Carolina. I have family there but have not driven by the house yet.

Carrie’s lake house scenes were filmed at Lake Norman near Mooresville. I’ve been boating on that lake many times but I have not found the house they filmed it at yet. I hope to figure out where it is and boat past it this summer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Never went looking for any places in movies but very familiar with numerous locations from Jaws II scattered from Destin, FL through Navarre to Pensacola Beach.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post