SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix The Crown: Never more relevant than after the death of QE II.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix The Crown: Never more relevant than after the death of QE II. Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted
I never paid much attention to this Netflix series that has covered all of Queen Elizabeth II's reign. But tonight, having come up empty on any new episodes of our favorite murder mysteries, I flipped over to Netflix and started watching The Crown.

The entire series seems to focus on the duty of The Sovereign to be the embodiment of the kingdom, and in doing so reneging all of the modern values of "do your own thing". It's the best argument for Burkean conservatism one can find, perhaps.

Extremely well done, even including some cool flying scenes in an old British biplane trainer; extremely high production values; great acting; and supposedly inside views of history in the making.

Looking forward to binging it all.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Yes, that is a very excellent series.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
We've enjoyed it as well.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Count me “in” as another fan of this one. Looking forward to a next season.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely worth a watch. Well-written and well-acted. A cool glimpse behind the scenes of a number of historical events.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Another good spin on this and Charles as King is the mini-series To Play the King with Sir Ian Richardson as the Machiavellian Prime Minister Francis Urquhart up against a thinly veiled "Charles" character played by Michael Kitchen (Foyle's War).

This is the second of a group of three mini-series featuring the Urquhart character - the first being House of Cards on which the same name US Kevin Spacey series is loosely based.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Season-1 definitely impresses upon the viewer that being a monarch isn't just about the privileges and people accommodating your every wish but, about duty, responsibility and expectations. The expectations part is what most people don't understand and this show (at least the 1st season) definitely emphasis what being a peer is and the pressures of being apart of and bing within the orbit of, the royal family. The segments surrounding the abdication of Edward VIII slams this home pretty hard, take note Meghan.

Posts: 14574 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
It is an excellent series, one I enjoyed very much.
The actors, sets, cinemaphotography, impressed me.

And Corgis! Wink

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
A very well done and enjoyable series. I'm hoping that the death of the Queen will hasten the latest season, that's been too long anticipated and delayed.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My wife watched the series and pronounced it excellent. This morning she said she thought she’d watch it again. I guess I’ll watch it for the first time.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen this many times and passed thinking it wasn’t in my wheelhouse. Based on the comments in this thread, and current events, the wife and I decided to give it a go. It’s good, very well done, and we enjoy it.

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Opened it up this evening and am in episode 5 of Season 1 already. This, as others have said here, is very well done and captivating.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
I'm hoping that the death of the Queen will hasten the latest season, that's been too long anticipated and delayed.

That series is getting into much more modern times by the end of the last season. Now they likely will be able to continue into Charles' reign.

My wife thought they might have delayed based on the Queen's declining health.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I don't really know how accurate it was historically, other than seeming to be generally accurate. There are many personal and family things they probably couldn't know, but that is fine. It is an entertainment, not a documentary.

And yes, it is very well done. A first rate series.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:
I'm hoping that the death of the Queen will hasten the latest season, that's been too long anticipated and delayed.

That series is getting into much more modern times by the end of the last season. Now they likely will be able to continue into Charles' reign.

IIRC the end of the last season was when Diana came into the picture, so I'm sure there's plenty of subject matter for a full season just with the Diana 'era'.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
IIRC the end of the last season was when Diana came into the picture, so I'm sure there's plenty of subject matter for a full season just with the Diana 'era'.

I didn't care for that season. The acting was top notch, of course. The writing felt vindictive towards the crown and royal family. It just didn't feel as well put together and unbiased as the previous seasons.

/opnion

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
quote:

I was unaware of the intruder that made it into the Queen's bedroom and carried on a conversation with her. Amazing failure of what should have been "World Class" security!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I've watch all of the seasons and was very entertained while learning a bit about how the British government works. Especially the early years when she was learning the ropes on the fly, and her relationship with Chruchill. I initially thought it would be "stuffy" but it was everything but that. No shoot-em up stuff and mostly dialog, but I found it must see.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was unaware of the intruder that made it into the Queen's bedroom and carried on a conversation with her. Amazing failure of what should have been "World Class" security!

I think it points out a degree of complacency that is, while not excusable, but somewhat understandable. I don't know that anyone had tried to sneak into the palace, and I am sure that they all assumed it was simply not possible. Given the "troubles" (with Northern Ireland) this seems especially foolish, but . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We're getting near the end of Season 2. The episodes with Margaret are pretty soap-opera-ish (you finally get to see the sex and nudity, and not just with horses). But my wife, who usually is not inclined to binge-watching, never wants to stop until it's almost midnight.

I've tried looking up the historical accuracy of The Crown. It's clearly fiction, but many of the specific episodes (Windsor and the Nazis, Lord Altrincham, the various love affairs of Armstrong-Jones, for example) see to be slightly fictionalized but real events. In every such episode it seems that one can see sympathy toward both sides, with sympathies quite nuanced.

I still think it's remarkably well-done.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post