SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Netflix The Crown: Never more relevant than after the death of QE II.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Netflix The Crown: Never more relevant than after the death of QE II. Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Well I honestly wasn't ready for all the cast changes with the start of Season 3. But I'm sure I'll adjust....

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
quote:
IIRC the end of the last season was when Diana came into the picture, so I'm sure there's plenty of subject matter for a full season just with the Diana 'era'.

I didn't care for that season. The acting was top notch, of course. The writing felt vindictive towards the crown and royal family. It just didn't feel as well put together and unbiased as the previous seasons.

/opnion

The late 70-early 80's, the royal family wasn't a thing other than under-current of media discussion about abolishing the monarchy all together. The UK post-WWII was the sick-man of Europe for too long and pessimism around all it's institutions was a constant. The royal family was seen as an anachronism, a symbol that the entire civil rights was pushing back against. It wasn't until Charles & Di's wedding and the Falklands War victory that pulled the UK's collective morale out of the depressing 70's and put some shine back into national pride & identiy.

The media & entertainment world was always on Diana's side, constantly framing the royals as being uncaring, nasty and cold; her biography helped reinforced those opinions. Buckingham Palace was a stuffy, mildew trap and the food served was horribly bland, then there was the company..... The upcoming s5 with Elizabeth Debicki playing Diana will be very interesting, she physically resembles her and her striking looks make her perfect for the part.
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Well I honestly wasn't ready for all the cast changes with the start of Season 3. But I'm sure I'll adjust....

Its not The Simpsons where everyone stays the same age Wink

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Its not The Simpsons where everyone stays the same age Wink

Oh I know.... Smile I guess I was simply expecting heavy make up to age everyone rather than wholesale replacements.

And continuing this series casting reflecting aging, series 5 will have again new "older" players.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/fe...ing-scenes-1995.html

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the series. I got a better understanding of the queen’s duties. Quite involved.

I liked the episodes with Churchill especially. Although The dialogue was made up, it contained references to real events.

Posts: 1605 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve watched the series since the beginning. I just started rewatching it about a month ago, and as I type, the wife is watching S1E5. Now she is hooked too. I’m eagerly waiting for season 5.

Posts: 900 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The historical adviser for The Crown was Robert Lacey, apparently official biographer to the queen.
I just bought on Kindle two books that supposedly help you know what's historically accurate and what's fictional drama. I haven't looked at them yet.

My wife has never binge-watched before, but she's really into this.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I need to watch it.

Good news is when they get to the final years of Her Majesty's life, I'm sure they could offer Meghan Markle the role of a woman who marries into the family to convince The Queen's grandson to give up the royal family. She was in Deal or no Deal AND Suits, so she has acting experience.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
My wife watched the series and pronounced it excellent. This morning she said she thought she’d watch it again. I guess I’ll watch it for the first time.

We’re watching it now and are a couple episodes into the second season. The affair with Group Captain Townsend was just ended with finality when the Queen informed her sister, Margaret that she would not approve her marriage to the divorced Townsend. She had met with the Archbishop and other bishops of the Church of England who informed her that she could not allow the marriage, this after finally hurtling the obstacle of the PM’s Cabinet.

Check me if I’m wrong but…wasn’t the Church of England founded by Henry VIII after the Pope wouldn’t allow him to divorce and re-marry?

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
My wife watched the series and pronounced it excellent. This morning she said she thought she’d watch it again. I guess I’ll watch it for the first time.

We’re watching it now and are a couple episodes into the second season. The affair with Group Captain Townsend was just ended with finality when the Queen informed her sister, Margaret that she would not approve her marriage to the divorced Townsend. She had met with the Archbishop and other bishops of the Church of England who informed her that she could not allow the marriage, this after finally hurtling the obstacle of the PM’s Cabinet.

Check me if I’m wrong but…wasn’t the Church of England founded by Henry VIII after the Pope wouldn’t allow him to divorce and re-marry?

Henry VIII wanted an annulment, not a divorce. He wanted to say the marriage was never valid.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I believe the rub was Townsend was having the affair with a 21-year old Margaret, WHILE he was still married and with kids at home. Even though his wife also was having an affair, and they divorced shortly, the optics weren't good.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
quote:
quote:

Henry VIII wanted an annulment, not a divorce. He wanted to say the marriage was never valid.

Yeah, I think that’s right, now that I see your response

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IrishWind:
quote:
quote:

Also, and this may be more important, Henry VIII didn't want to marry a divorced woman, whereas Margaret wanted to marry a divorced man. Plus, she wasn't the king, and Henry was, so . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Just finished the 4 seasons. And yes bring on season 5! Big Grin

And yeah, the series paints Charles as the asshole I always perceived him as being.
Diana confirms in her own words pic.twitter.com/85gFfVir7h

Also interesting https://www.nickiswift.com/186...omed-from-the-start/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
What books?

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
The historical adviser for The Crown was Robert Lacey, apparently official biographer to the queen.
I just bought on Kindle two books that supposedly help you know what's historically accurate and what's fictional drama. I haven't looked at them yet.

My wife has never binge-watched before, but she's really into this.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6021 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We got halfway through episode 2 of season 5. I don’t think we’ll continue. Season 5 is a real letdown. The new cast is not convincing, with the possible exception of the woman playing Princess Di.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Not even bothering with Season 5 given all the skewing they've been found to have done.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
We got halfway through episode 2 of season 5. I don’t think we’ll continue. Season 5 is a real letdown. The new cast is not convincing, with the possible exception of the woman playing Princess Di.

Don't sell yourself short. My wife and I have been watching Season 5 since the release last week and it's extremely well done. I'm not going to provide any spoilers, but but the season really provides depth and insight not just into the characters, but balances historical aspects such as the effect and consequences of the Russian revolution on the members of the British royal family facing a potential backlash to the horrendous losses during the "Great War."

I'd highly recommend watching this series as it goes well beyond the simple issues these family members were dealing with or are the focus of "tell all" releases.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were both sick this week and binged season 5. Eh. Not as good as the previous 4, but still worth the watch. Elizabeth Dibecki is amazingly believable as Diana. The guy that is Charles is too good looking Big Grin Cool

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Dominic Green was McNulty in The Wire. Yeah.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Dominic Green was McNulty in The Wire. Yeah.

Update: On continued watching of the series, we've gotten caught up in it again and very impressed by the writing and acting.
The current episode (#8) is about Diana's interview with Martin Bashir on the BBC. We had to stop the video and look up whether Bashir had gotten the interview through serious deception--yes, it was true.
The series has not been kind to Charles, and likewise is not kind to Diana. Amazed at the candor, actually.