SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Robotech: End of the Circle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robotech: End of the Circle Login/Join 
posted
I read this book a Long time ago. I was attached to the characters as a kid and read every book I could get, watched all the videos as well.

Anyone else out there ever read the book and have an opinion of it?

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I have read every McKinney Robotech novel (I even have have first editions of half of them because I'm that much of a nerd).

I loved Robotech, both as a TV series and novel series. The two big observations I have about the Sentinels and End of the Circle are as follows:

First, McKinney himself said that he(they) viewed later novels as basically a licensed form of fan fiction. Since they did not have any episodes to follow along with he basically had free reign to do as he pleased with the plot and you can definitely tell. While they are still good, they have a different flow from the rest of the books. Whenever I reread them, I find myself rereading the first generation most, and the Sentinels least.

Second, End of the Circle represents the ultimate idea that Carl Macek had foee the entire series. He originally envisioned it as a series of 100+ episodes with a circular timeline. The premise being that if it tm yet round on TV, you could tune in at any time and still see everything all the way through. I think End of the Circle fits that beautifully.

Plus, there is no better way to end things than with Rick flying in a Fokker. Minmei singing, I could give or take Wink

*edit: didn't realize auto correct had changed Minmei to Minnie lol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kravashera,

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Minmay. What a tease. Wink

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I have first editions of the entire series. I've read through at least 6 times and individual novels more than that. I also have all three seasons on DVD and the Shadow Chronicles standalone DVD. I also have quite a few of the toys. Never could bring myself to pull he trigger for an SDF-1 for the price one was bringing. Yeah, huge Robotech nerd.

End of the Circle was a good wrap for the series. Perfect? Not IMO but good enough. My favorite single book is The Zentradei Rebellion. Favorite block of stories is definitely first generation.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Big fan here. I even have toys. My daughter's middle name is Minmei. It means bright and beautiful.

I actually just binged watched it on Netflix earlier this week.

I usually skip the middle series.

Caveat: my toys are actually from the different japanese Macross series. Robotech was my gateway into japanimation way back in the day. Most of my toys are in storage but I have a few on display.

The Shadow Chronicles basically retconned End of the Circle but I still like it since we now know what happened to the gang and where Zor came from.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would have never thought there would be responses. Thats so nice to know.

I really enjoy end of the circle. I feel it wrapped everything up nicely. The fight between Lang and Louie gets me every time, to say nothing about the events that take place during the intersection. That "Hail Breetai" thing, I get choked up just thinking about it.

Robotech (the three stories melded together) is really a wonderful series. The story instantly hooked me and the character development, well, I feel like I know those people.

I keep a copy of it in my drawer, take it out once in a while to read some sections. Great stuff.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
I can't even get into my toys and collectables...I just can't. I'd be stuck in this thread all day. But my crowning gem; a near mint copy of the elusive Robotech Art 1, signed by Tony Oliver, Dan Warren, and the late Carl Macek. I swear that you can hear "We will win" drifting on the wind when you stare at it.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... I must have been living under a rock - never heard of this series and now ... well I have some binge watching to do.

Tell me about the scale models ... the VF-1S what's with that .. the answer will be gained from watching?

Smile

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It's disorganized but this is what I've unpacked so far.
Top to bottom. Left to right.

Top row
Yamato 1/48 VF-1A custom Max TV.
Little Super VF-1J. Don't know who made it.
--not related Thrust Bumblebee Spike--
Bandai DX Chogokin VF-19 Advance (SMS Isamu version)

Second row
Little DYRL Super VF-1S Focker - don't know who made it.
Little Wing Gundam Zero EW figure
Bandai DX Chogokin VC-25F Alto haven't opened it yet
Matchbox Zentradei Officer Pod
Little Hikaru VF-1J figure - don't know who made it

I have a bunch more Yamato 1/48 and 1/60v2 toys in storage.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kravashera:
I can't even get into my toys and collectables...I just can't. I'd be stuck in this thread all day. But my crowning gem; a near mint copy of the elusive Robotech Art 1, signed by Tony Oliver, Dan Warren, and the late Carl Macek. I swear that you can hear "We will win" drifting on the wind when you stare at it.

I would like to see a photo of that. I have an Art 2 (the red hard back) hanging around somewhere. I also have a few collections of "Wall-Art" which came in a large binder. Plus an original soundtrack.

I would have liked to have met Macek (both of them)

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Man, I watched the hell out of that show on Sci-Fi back in the day.

And I played Battletech, with all its ripped off mech designs. Ah the Marauder....

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's a user here, Skull Leader, with the Robitech avatar.

I have the Matchbox SDF-1. Decals aren't even applied. Box has some wear. Wonder what that's fetching these days... probably not much.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have Art 1, 2 and 3 in storage somewhere. A bunch of the Palladium RPG books. I have way too many of the Battletech novels (all of the Stackpole ones for sure). Loved the Battletech and Mechwarrior games.

Geez, you're all making me feel like a kid again!

My daughter refuses to watch any of it even though she was named for it.

Not minority enough!

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I have the DVDs and a couple cloth posters. I've actually never read the novels.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I have the DVDs and a couple cloth posters. I've actually never read the novels.

The novels are very good. There are books that also fill in the gaps between seasons of the show that are very good. One details converting Breetai's flagship into the SDF-3 and all the reconstruction turmoil on earth, earth between first and second gen plus Zand's initial contact with the Masters and the downfall of Colonel Wolff. Find them, I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
It's disorganized but this is what I've unpacked so far.
Top to bottom. Left to right.

Top row
Yamato 1/48 VF-1A custom Max TV.
Little Super VF-1J. Don't know who made it.
--not related Thrust Bumblebee Spike--
Bandai DX Chogokin VF-19 Advance (SMS Isamu version)

Second row
Little DYRL Super VF-1S Focker - don't know who made it.
Little Wing Gundam Zero EW figure
Bandai DX Chogokin VC-25F Alto haven't opened it yet
Matchbox Zentradei Officer Pod
Little Hikaru VF-1J figure - don't know who made it

I have a bunch more Yamato 1/48 and 1/60v2 toys in storage.

Dammit man, now I'm going to have to dig through all my stuff this weekend.

- Robert Heinlein

Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
I get a kick out of mecha in general. So what's the order of preference in the model manufacturers? I went looking on ebay last night. Some looked pretty decent for around $130ish.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
I get a kick out of mecha in general. So what's the order of preference in the model manufacturers? I went looking on ebay last night. Some looked pretty decent for around $130ish.

Bandai and Yamato are going the be the big names for the models and toys. There are other brands that I have picked up at anime expo after looking at them, but I wouldn't necessarily order them without seeing them first. I have never been disappointed with Bandai or Yamato.

- Robert Heinlein

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I think Yamato is done with Macross toys. Arcadia took over. I have one of their 1/60 VF toys. Can't remember which model.

When I got divorced, I sold ALL my Toynami VF-1 and Alphas for a pretty penny.
Someone really wanted those bookcases.

Not minority enough!