SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Vintage cars anyone?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage cars anyone? Login/Join 
posted
I love vintage things...guns, cars, wrist watches, houses, swords...I the process; educating ones self on the item you seek, the hunt to find it and the satisfaction of being one of its conservators thru time.

I have always loved vintage cars and have acquired a few...

1980 MBZ 450 SEL
1992 BMZ 300 TE
1985 BMW 635 Csi
2001 BMW 740is
1975 Lincoln Continental Mark IV

Just went to my first real car show with the Lincoln where my vehicle was judged instead of the usual cars and coffee events I usually attend and enjoy. It was an eye opening lesson in applied and constructive Obsessive Compulsive Disorder..lol. Having a bit of OCD in my ow behavior...I felt right at home... Smile

Anyone one else collect and show?

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had 2 1982 MBs (240D & 300SD) in high school. Both in above average condition, but far from show cars.

Have a replica Lotus 7 in pieces in my garage.

My dad currently has a W108 (72, IIRC) 280SE that he's undecided on its fate.
Hasn't been registered since 1996, but is in surprisingly good shape, bit of exterior rust & the interior is quite good.
If he keeps it, he'll get it into shape & it'll likely get either a LFX or LS swap, as the M130 2.8 I6 is likely beyond repair.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Had 2 1982 MBs (240D & 300SD) in high school. Both in above average condition, but far from show cars.

Have a replica Lotus 7 in pieces in my garage.

My dad currently has a W108 (72, IIRC) 280SE that he's undecided on its fate.
Hasn't been registered since 1996, but is in surprisingly good shape, bit of exterior rust & the interior is quite good.
If he keeps it, he'll get it into shape & it'll likely get either a LFX or LS swap, as the M130 2.8 I6 is likely beyond repair.

Love the quote from Enders Game..

Posts: 81 | Location: Southern California  | Registered: April 29, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The way the stock market is tanking, we’re talking about acquiring an air-cooled 911; I believe they’ll continue to appreciate. Just the talking about it stage now, but…that may change. Wish we had kept our 997, can’t hardly believe how much they’ve gone up in this market, and they were the highest production number 911.

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I'd love a 993 or 964
After that, I'd prefer a 997 or 991 for a more modern model. Never was a huge fan of the 996.

I actually wouldn't mind a clean 914, either.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P250UA5,

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
My one and only daily is a 1998 MB E430. But not for long. I have a fresh X3 getting stamped out in Spartanburg SC in a few weeks. Hoping by Father's Day to be rolling in my new M40i. But I will always have a spot in my heart for old V8 Mercs.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Collect? No.
Show? No.
Drive? Yes!

Crazy enough, I've seen some sweet rides in the junkyard as of late.

I think some people are out of their freaking mind, my only guess is their parents passed away and that old car is nothing like the new driving appliance.

Where are the USB ports? How did they get there without Apple Carplay? Why doesn't the transmission shift itself? Roll Eyes

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I had a very nice condition 1966 Porsche 912 for a few years. Fun to drive around, but I was always worried it would break down too far away from home.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
'74 Formula...It's got the extra pedal so the transmission doesn't shift itself! Wink

Launch View... Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Is that thing 4wd?

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine did a full frame off resto of a 63 fuel injected Corvette. Gorgeous! I watched the entire process ( which took 2 years) as I thought I would like to restore a vintage car then drive and show it.
I saw I did not have the time, determination, equipment and facility to pull it off. Its a labor of love. Lesson learned for me.
Oh... The project nearly drove my buddy nuts and after he finished the car, he sold it to a collector and used the $$$ to buy a house.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I drove a '56 Chevy 210 wagon for a dozen years as a daily driver. It had a decent finish, and I had the seats upholstered. Originally a 6 cylinder car, it had a junkyard 283 V-8 when I got it, later replaced with a rebuilt 327. The chrome was all in excellent shape, and I kept it polished. Driving up I-270, the front bumper would through a bright glare onto the overhead green signs.

When I finally decided to get rid of it (early 1990s), I donated to the local school system. When I first called, the office secretary said they didn't accept anything over 15 years old. Within about a minute, the head of the auto shop section called me back and wanted to know if I still had it. Since I had the title in hand, he came by the house that afternoon with all the papers and drove it away. I ended up realizing a considerable tax benefit that year from the donation.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 21bubba:
Is that thing 4wd?

that Firebird does seem to sit a bit high

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1959 Impala convertible. It's been in the family for close to 40 years and back on the road since 2000. It's pretty fun.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I have a 1978 BMW 320i ~ I guess it is almost vintage.
But to answer your quest - YES, I love them. Cool
If I had any space to store them - I would have a bunch (to my wife's dismay Smile ).

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

The E21 is still a good looking car, though the Euro-spec bumpers are a marked improvement over the US buck tooth bumpers.

Briefly considered an E30 in college, but being a broke college student & a BMW or Merc didn't really add up.
At the same time, I looked at multiple W201 190E Mercs. 2 2.3-16 Cosworths, back before they skyrocketed in price, and a couple '93 Sportline LE 2.6, which they only made 700 of.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

The E21 is still a good looking car, though the Euro-spec bumpers are a marked improvement over the US buck tooth bumpers.

It's a great looking car even with the US bumpers that were popular in that era.
Euro bumpers can be installed or the US bumpers can be re-fabricated for a more snug fit.
My biggest complaint is the anemic engine albeit it is still a fun car in Autocross. Smile

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My one and only vintage car is a 1975 Triumph TR 6 I bought about a year ago. Not quite Concours condition and not entirely original - wheels and seats were replaced although the purchase came with the old ones - but it is in very good condition. I do plan on refurbishing the old wheels and seats and putting them back on the car.

I really need to learn how to post photos.....

Posts: 546 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

My biggest complaint is the anemic engine albeit it is still a fun car in Autocross. Smile

Ah, I truly miss autocross.
Was fun dusting A&M students in a bone stock, automatic Saturn. The drive back to Austin afterward wasn't as fun, though, especially with a stomach full of Freebirds.

When I, eventually, finish the Lotus, I plan to get it to some autocross, and with a bit of luck would love to get it onto COTA.

Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
This thread needs more pictures.

Big Grin

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post