SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Murder On The Orient Express
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Murder On The Orient Express Login/Join 
posted
The remake.... is as good as the original.

Best Pic nominee, I dare say.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2364 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The wife doesn't know "whodunnit" and I really want to take her to see this one. Thanks for the review. Smile

Posts: 45377 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depp is on my "no watchie" list since his anti-Trump liberal BS statements.

I'll choose to support with my time and money something else.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Reviews have been pretty bad but glad you liked it. I want to see it.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10490 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to watch it, but I'll probably wait 'til it comes out on video.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a visually beautiful movie and has a excellent (IMHO) selected cast. But, it kinda lacked a real kick. It was still a nice piece of drama.

Hercule's mustache stole the movie.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Alas, David Suchet defines Poirot in my mind and I'm sure I will have a very difficult time with this film, although the ridiculous mustache is more true to the books that Suchet's neatly waxed handlebars.

As much as I enjoy Branagh's interpretation of anything Shakespeare, I'm just not sure about this.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a bit of a hearing deficit but usually I'm fine in the movies. People with my issue have a problem with accents usually British ones . After the first few minutes with the lead actor's French accent, I knew it was going to be a long two hours. My only defense was to doze off, which I proceeded to do. My wife says, I didn't miss much.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
Alas, David Suchet defines Poirot in my mind and I'm sure I will have a very difficult time with this film, ...

That is what I expect will be my biggest problem with it may be.

quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
As much as I enjoy Branagh's interpretation of anything Shakespeare, I'm just not sure about this.

Just so nobody's confused: Murder On The Orient Express is an Agatha Christie novel.

quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
After the first few minutes with the lead actor's French accent, ...

Français, monsieur? Non, Belge! Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Branagh is an excellent actor, but he's in some real stinkers too (Wild Wild West, for ex)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SecurityGeek
posted Hide Post
Branagh's mustache deserves it's own Best Supporting Actor award. Plus, I'd pretty much pay to watch Judi Dench and Derek Jacobi read the phone book.

"How old would you be if you didn't know how old you was?"

- Satchel Paige

Posts: 194 | Location: Little Elm, Texas | Registered: April 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it day after Thanksgiving and really enjoyed it. I really enjoyed Branagh's Poirot. His quirky aloofness was fun to watch and the movie was a more interesting and modern retelling of the book. Plus, I really appreciated that I was at a movie that wasn't about explosions, monsters, aliens, or giant talking robot cars. And most importantly, it wasn't animated and the kids (10-16) enjoyed it.

Posts: 830 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Agatha Christie fan, Miss Marple et al. I enjoyed the first one, even if it was kinda cheesy, and I’m sure I’ll enjoy the remake too.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2700 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ragnar
posted Hide Post
The wife and I saw it last Saturday. However I have a question. Did anyone else notice when everyone was seated in the tunnel for the great revile of who the murder was. The suspects resembled Leonardo De Vinci's the last supper.

Live every day as if it is your last, for one day you’re sure to be right

Posts: 752 | Location: Historic Southpark, Dayton Ohio | Registered: October 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar:
The wife and I saw it last Saturday. However I have a question. Did anyone else notice when everyone was seated in the tunnel for the great revile of who the murder was. The suspects resembled Leonardo De Vinci's the last supper.

I thought the same thing!

Loved the movie!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
Saw it Thanksgiving weekend and was not impressed. I always thought the story was ridiculous.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We saw it today in a theater with 10 people at the matinee. I . liked it and it was the best movie in the 14-plex. Hollywood really turns out some turds, don't they?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4227 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
I don't like Depp in the first place, never have.

Also have rarely ever seen a re-make that was even as good as the original let alone better.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post