Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Val Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
Val Kilmer had a video camera from the time he was a kid and has thousands of hours of tape. So coming up is "Val", a documentary. Could be fun.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I keep reading accounts that once someone works with Kilmer, they never again wish to do so.

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Looking at the trailer, it seems to be chock full of folks people probably didn't like working with. Given the opportunity, I'll watch.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8328 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Where will this air, do we know yet? I absolutely loved him as Doc in Tombstone.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
the Trailer looks interesting. I'll check this out.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Pretty much everybody in Hollywood is a self important cry baby so I doubt Val is really any worse than anybody else. Seems like there is some cool behind the scenes, candid stuff there so probably worth watching. He's made some good movies with some amazing casts.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
He was great in The Ghost and the Darkness. One of my top 5 favorite films.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5396 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, the only thing Hollywood really cares about is money, and when Kilmer's films make money and then this or that producer or director says "never again", that means something because once these unimaginative lunkheads find a money-making actor or director, they latch onto them, and to say 'no' to money in the bank is like not breathing for these people.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
All this film/tape alone could be the reason they didn't care for him. '

quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Where will this air, do we know yet?

"In theaters July 23" , but also an Amazon thing, so no doubt streaming there at some point and possibly nowhere else ever.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
"In theaters July 23"
Yeah, just the movie. There won't be any people there. This will end up being streamed. Hey, kids, let's keep that Hollywood-killing momentum going! Razz

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23392 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might catch it.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
All this film/tape alone could be the reason they didn't care for him. '

quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Where will this air, do we know yet?

"In theaters July 23" , but also an Amazon thing, so no doubt streaming there at some point and possibly nowhere else ever.

I believe I read yesterday somewhere that it will be available on Amazon Prime on August 6th(??)

Posts: 722 | Location: Maine | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
The Brit news site “Daily Mail” has a story about this. Red Face

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tv...new-documentary.html

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
The Brit news site “Daily Mail” has a story about this. Red Face

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tv...new-documentary.html
"A method actor par excellence, legend has it that aged 12 he walked out of the filming of a burger advert, saying that he couldn't find his character's motivation."

That right there is what you call a clue. Your character's motivation? YOU'RE THERE TO SELL BURGERS FOR THE PEOPLE PAYING YOU, YOU SPECIAL, SPECIAL LITTLE MAN!!

OK, let's try it again.

quite, please

speed

and.....action!

posted Hide Post
At least the article mentions that Val has always been considered high maintenance. We might want to also add "narcissistic. I rather doubt that a biographic account of his life is to be very interesting.
I have read hundreds of biographies, but a biography of Kilmer holds little appeal.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The interesting aspect of this film is Kilmer's early adoption of amateur video equipment and the frequency with which he used it to make such a record of his life. It seems to me that Kilmer was given an outsized sense of self-worth by his parents and upbringing. I don't say this in an accusatory way- obviously, his character make-up and his charisma have brought him far in life.

Complex people tend to be far more interesting, but not all complex people are interesting.

Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I bet he has a big collection of selfie sticks. Smile

I don't believe I've ever watched (much less read) either a biography or an autobiography of an actor. Have there been many such, worth looking for?

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I watched about half of it last night. I'm interested enough to watch the other half tonight. I always thought he was a little peculiar when seen on a talk show earlier in life. He seems to have 'normalized' a bit. Throat cancer may have humbled him some.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post