SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The number of times in 2018 that TCM airs The Manchurian Candidate
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The number of times in 2018 that TCM airs The Manchurian Candidate Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

"I know you will never entirely comprehend this, Raymond, but you must believe I did not know it would be you. I served them. I fought for them. I'm on the point of winning for them the greatest foothold they would ever have in this country. And they paid me back by taking your soul away from you. I told them to build me an assassin. I wanted a killer from a world filled with killers and they chose you because they thought it would bind me closer to them. But now, we have come almost to the end. One last step. And then when I take power, they will be pulled down and ground into dirt for what they did to you. And what they did in so contemptuously underestimating me." - Eleanor Shaw Iselin

__

It's a shame that with Robert Osborne now gone, leftists like TYT's Ben Mankiewicz are running the show at Turner Classic Movies. Just about the only way they have to express their frustration with our new President is- what else- by the movies the air- and, I might add, the frequency with which they air them.
Take, for example, John Frankenheimer's landmark thriller, The Manchurian Candidate, a truly superb film. It deals with brainwashing and political assassination, and since Donald Trump won the Presidency, the frequency with which TCM airs this film has gone from a couple of times a year (if that, even. Call it, maybe three times in eighteen months), to airing it in late 2016 and all of 2017, perhaps ten times. Well, it's coming on in five minutes, so since it's New Year's Eve Eve, let's call this number one for 2018.

Who knows, maybe they'll surprise me and cut out this crap, but I don't think so. There are other films that TCM is airing with greater frequency as a from of protest, but The Manchurian Candidate seems to be their favorite, far and away.

Posts: 107227 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have noticed that not only has TCM been playing it often, so have several other channels. And the remake with Denzel Washington (which I have not watched) seems popular too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Related to this subject:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/6550058714/p/1

Right behind The Manchurian Candidate in the increased frequency of airing since November, 2016, is A Face in the Crowd, and if you don't think that these pissing and moaning leftist children are trying to send a message...

Kisses for My President- a movie about the first female President- had you even heard of this film before TCM began playing it every 10 or so weeks, beginning in the Fall of 2016? Roll Eyes

And, as I noted in that other thread:
quote:
The night after the last Presidential debate, TCM broadcast The Great White Hope in a primetime slot. Draw your own conclusions.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The thread reminded me of Madam Secretary, supposedly now CBS lowest rated scripted show. How much longer will they keep their subliminal Hilary campaign add on the air now that it doesn't matter?

Posts: 21041 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have noticed that not only has TCM been playing it often, so have several other channels. And the remake with Denzel Washington (which I have not watched) seems popular too.
Yes, and tonight, on the one year anniversary of the Trump administration, Starz Encore Suspense is airing the '62 version right now.

Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
That is lowdown polecat bullshit. Saddened and infuriated that some of my fellow Americans are neither.

Maybe I will put on The Green Berets. The lecture at the beginning foretold the fate of Cambodia. The struggle for liberty continues.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thread reminded me of Madam Secretary, supposedly now CBS lowest rated scripted show. How much longer will they keep their subliminal Hilary campaign add on the air now that it doesn't matter?

I loathe that show precisely because it is shilling device for HRC. And it just happened to get made in time for 2016. the Ironic thing is the character probably is better qualified than her

And this last couple of weeks they had an episode about an unhinged President being confronted by Madam Secretary. Roll Eyes

Not a Trump fan by any stretch, but as long as Hollywood continues to impotently flail away while believing they are changing people's minds, so be it.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Manchurian Candidate was on one of the Starz movie channels today.

I remember seeing Kisses for my President on TV
around 50 years ago.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, is anyone watching TCM right now? On the East coast, at least, Abscence of Malice just came on. Did any of you hear Ben Mankiewicz's introduction?

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
1984 is another one the Left seems to want to show a lot more because of Trump.

Posts: 33572 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The China Syndrome followed Abscence of Malice last night. Roll Eyes

Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
I used to love TCM as I wasnt old enough to watch these great films. And I'll admit I like the Manchurian Candidate. But after seeing it once, I was good. But its what, 3 times in as many weeks now? What about African Queen? Thats a great old movie I never saw.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I see on tonight's schedule:

An Inconvenient Truth
The Times of Harvey Milk
Woodstock: The Director's Cut

I thought TCM stood for Turner's Classic Movies Roll Eyes

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16603 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would guess that Robert Osborne had a great influence on what was shown on TCM.
Now he is gone, we see what his influence may have been.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 15989 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well now...

Looking at TCM's schedule through the end of this month, TCM will not air The Manchurian Candidate a single time in the first three month of this year,. Last year by this time, TCM had aired this film three times already.

I wonder if they've gotten it out of their system.

Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
One of the Starz cable channels seem to be showing it a few times a week.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm beginning to wonder if TCM's New Year's Eve broadcast of The Manchurian Candidate was a swan song of sorts for this film. I'm not saying that they'll never again broadcast it, but looking at the schedule through May 3, TCM has not scheduled this film for air.
I wonder if some executive realized the number of times this film had been broadcast in 2017 and told his people to cool it. Or, perhaps, enough people actually complained or questioned why they were broadcasting this film every five weeks on average.

Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
It’ll show up fairly soon. When they think everyone who likes the movie will forget on how long it has been.
But Ben surely has an input. I like Robert Osborne a lot better.
Just watched the ‘Late George Apley’ the other nite. I’m just now realizing I like Ronald Colman. Saw him in Random Harvest, excellent.
Hopefully the inmates haven’t completely taken over the asylum.
Unfortunately I think they have.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hear yea Para. I too enjoyed Robert Osborne's intros before I cut the Sat link 8 years ago. Glad my reading of that Mankiewicz character was correct.

But the same has happened on OTA TV. They brought back re-runs of such ueber-populaer shows as 'Murphy Brown' and 'Will & Grace'. Then of course there is the re-boot of 'Will & Grace' on regular TV.

'Rosanne' is back too, but Rosanne herself seems to be anti-establishment against the Democratic Party herself. She certainly is no Hildebeast supporter and did vote for Trump instead.

Wonder when we'll see 'All the President's men' on TV?

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1686 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
So I guess tonight's scheduling of "Advise and Consent" is just part of the normal rotation.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post