SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Gander Outdoors closing?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gander Outdoors closing? Login/Join 
posted
Is the whole Gander chain closing again? I can't find a solid answer online. I stopped at the one in Dickson City today and everything but guns and ammunition was 40% off. I got a brand new Aimpoint PRO for $261. It's too bad. Sometimes they had good deals.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Weren't they bought out by Bass Pro?

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Camping world bought Gander in 2017 and has been restructuring it since. Bass Pro bought Cabelas.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Weren't they bought out by Bass Pro?

That was Cabelas.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Ours closed about a year ago.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Ours here in Gastonia NC opened last July in what was previously a Gander Montain. I was there Friday and they said they are closing (30% off) and that all stores that can't sell RVs (for whatever reason) were also closing.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They had a big Labor Day sale, and their ad had 50% off Suppressors. There was also a Labor Day 20% off coupon for certain stores, and I was able to stack them and get a Sig SRD45 can for $250 plus my tax stamp. They did not have any indication that they were closing, just dumping all kinds of non-moving inventory. They are now owned by one of those tv show business "gurus", Marcus Lemonis that supposedly specialized in turning around failing companies. He owned Camping World Outdoors, and bought the Gander Mountain business out of bankruptcy. He rebranded a small portion of their stores as Gander Outdoors and those are the only ones that reopened just over a year ago. I think he's not keeping inventory that doesn't move and is aggressively dumping it. But I think someone at corporate might not be clear on margins for new firearms and other hard and soft lines that they carry, which usually shows up as restrictions on discount coupons that are sent out. That 20% off coupon had no restrictions, even on firearms, ammo, anything.

So I went to try to find a second suppressor after they extended the 20% Labor Day coupon and found that they were instructed from corporate to pull all of their suppressors off the shelves. Most of the stores had been pretty cleaned out, but one or two actually got more in on their truck but were not putting them out for sale. Kind of sucks, I guess I should just be glad that I got what I did when I did.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Ours here in Gastonia NC opened last July in what was previously a Gander Montain. I was there Friday and they said they are closing (30% off) and that all stores that can't sell RVs (for whatever reason) were also closing.

If all the stores that don't sell RV's are closing, then I expect all of the PA stores to close too, as none of the Gander Outdoors stores here ever got RV's in stock. Not sure that will actually be the case. Regardless, they ended up just like Gander Mountain but with a slightly different product mix. A lot of stuff at standard or MSRP pricing. Only one or two times a year it makes sense to buy there, when they liquidate seasonal or regular stock.

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ours (RV sales) has only grown in size, considerable parking lot expansion for the huge amount of RVs.

Located in what was prior a Gander Mountain.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Ours (RV sales) has only grown in size, considerable parking lot expansion for the huge amount of RVs.

Located in what was prior a Gander Mountain.

Same with ours in Tyler.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Didn't you people read Doctor Sleep? RVs are evil!

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Meh

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Went it one here recently. Gun prices were much more reasonable than the old store. Not a real deal, but also not trying to bend you over. Seemed to be doing a decent bit of business although summer is winding down. Another month and it should see hunting sales so it’s probably going to be here for a bit.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Found this link on a Michigan Gun Owners forum page to an article where Lemonis says he is going to "focus on their core business of RV sales and service". Mentions 27-37 stores that are being looked at for closure if they do not sell or service RV's.
Going to refine the brand into "Gander RV" and "Gander RV and Outdoors". Guaranteed this is being done to dump all the debt into the existing "Gander Outdoors" business and he will Ch. 7 it. Gee, if Trump did this he would be screaming his head off.

https://www.chicagobusiness.co...door-retail-strategy

Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Ours in Portage, Michigan is closing. I got the Trijicon 4x32 ACOG that they had on display for a hair under $600! Apparently there is a store in Coldwater that is not closing and they came up and grabbed the other two ACOGs that were in the back. I also grabbed a ZT 0770CF knife for $114.

It is funny how they are going about doing this. To my knowledge they did not advertise this at all locally, however, word spread mighty quick.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think they have even communicated anything to their store staff. The article said that they are reviewing 27-37 stores that don't sell or service RV's. The Greensburg PA store (according to a friend that talks to the manager there) is doing 3-4 times the sales volume that they did as a Gander Mountain store at that location. That may be so, but anyone that has run a business knows that cash flow is the blood of the business, and debt structure might mean that that store actually needs to do 6-8 times more than it did when it was a Gander.

I think if there are strong sales, they will look to see if they can add the RV sales to the location or not and add them to the Gander RV and Outdoor business while cutting the rest.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Browndrake:
Ours in Portage, Michigan is closing. I got the Trijicon 4x32 ACOG that they had on display for a hair under $600! Apparently there is a store in Coldwater that is not closing and they came up and grabbed the other two ACOGs that were in the back. I also grabbed a ZT 0770CF knife for $114.

It is funny how they are going about doing this. To my knowledge they did not advertise this at all locally, however, word spread mighty quick.

Do you know if this Portage store displayed and sold suppressors? Are they still selling them through this 40% off closing sale? If you are in that neighborhood, I would love to know how they handled that product line since they are closing the location.
Thanks!

Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Went to my local gender outdoors and went on a mini shopping spree with everything forty percent off. Some of the things I got were:
Vortex strike eagle 1-6 scope for 171.00
Werner scope mount for optic for 71.00
Bunch of magpul stuff for a new build

All and all I had a good time and bought a lot of stuff I had my eye on for some time.

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post