SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop - 1971, and Walter Hill's The Driver - 1978
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop - 1971, and Walter Hill's The Driver - 1978 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
A rarely seen film. James Taylor's first of only two cinematic film roles.

Two-Lane Blacktop is an allegory which can be viewed superficially as a B-film road movie, or something much deeper than that; the reviews on IMDB lend a clue. Some people get it, some people don't. To be sure, it's not a film for everyone, but if you're an American who grew up in the car culture and you have a love of cinema, I recommend this film without reservation; a meditative glimpse of an America now gone.

The Beach Boy's Dennis Wilson, Warren Oates, Harry Dean Stanton, Alan Vint, and the tragic Laurie Bird.

Hot rod driver: Let's make it fifty.

The Driver: Make it three yards motherfucker and we'll have an auto-mo-bile race.

Link to Bitchute for full-screen viewing

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Thanks for posting.

Saw it when it came out.

Going to watch it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The right movie with the right people at the right time. As the target audience then, it seemed to bridge what had been and what was now. It didn't have everyone talking, it should have. Thanks for the reminder.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Great movie, think I'll watch it again, lot of cool car cult movies, Corvette Summer, Bullit, Crazy Larry Dirty Mary, ride along with Kowalski in Vanishing Point, the original Gone in 60 Seconds, French Connection, The California Kid, if you are a fan of Robert Mitchem - Thunder Road... oh yeah American Graffiti had the 55

Two Lane Blacktop left impressions on gear heads from several decades, you didn't have to be born into the time of gassers to fall in love with a BadAss 55 Chevy.

Example of a modern day gear head hell bent on recreating the car is Mike Finnegan part of the Roadkill Tv pair, Finnegan fell in love with it from the movie, then bought a 55 shell and built an 8 second gasser called Blashemi. Lots of images, details and video at the link.

In Case anyones interested ina modern day 55 Gasser heres a link

Link

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I loved that movie.
Haven't thought about it since I was 20 or so when a buddy brought over the vhs to watch because it was rumored to have the same 55 as American Graffiti.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Yes!

Since the pandemic-quarantine started, I've been watching every driving/road movie I can and ranking/cataloguing my reviews on the movie review site Letterboxd. I've now watched over 930 driving movies and Two-Lane Blacktop is ranked at #5 out of all those.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
After seeing this, I could never seem to take Warren Oates seriously again.

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I had a flat black 55 Chevy just before the movie came out. Huge James Taylor fan at the time and took my squeeze to the outdoor drive in to see it. What memories! I remember when the film ended by the film melting. Everybody was like wtf??

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"That Plymouth had a hemi and a Torque-Flite."

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Sure appreciate the website link to watch this full-screen on tv. Harry Dean Stanton in a small role. I’ve looked for this movie for a long time. Thanks, para

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't burn
the day away
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the movie, watched it this morning and really enjoyed it.

Posts: 2074 | Location: Worcester County, MA  | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I was not aware of this movie, I appreciate the info and will give it a watch for sure. Cool

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
Great movie!
I saw it at the drive in.
Me and the girl friend in my old 62 nova with a big cam 301.
Loved that old Chevy Muncie whine in the 55.
Warren Oates just about crappin his pants when he was riding shotgun in the 55 and he put the hammer down. “What are you trying to do, blow my mind”? Just a classic line right there!

Posts: 1694 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this, Para. I added it to my video bookmark to maybe watch this evening, or the next raing day.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7039 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
That movie is highly regarded in classic muscle car circles, but I've never watched it. I'll have to check it out, thanks for posting.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Haven't seen it in years, but I loved it way back when.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Thank you Para…it took me back in time when my girlfriend (a little later my fiancé, best friend and wife) saw it at the Bankhead Drive In…we also saw Vanishing Point at the same Drive In (car movies/cool actors seemed to be gaining in popularity in 1971…but seemed to Peter out quickly Frown )…it’s been over 40 years since I drove past the Bankhead Drive In on my way to the Southern Railway’s Inman Yard (this is the only area that I was actually shot at…the round actually skipped off my windshield leaving a running semi spiderweb crack behind…never saw the shooter, but it scared the flying fuck out of me, and from that time on I went the long way around to work from Austell at night)…but it was a source of good movie memories…but it was the beginning of a new chapter in metro Atlanta and I do remember the movies and the times when it was all good in that area Smile Smile Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ibexsig
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. I had never even heard of this movie until I read this post. I watched it and I had a great experience. The movie is not ever boring, but has a lot of layers to it. I found it enthralling. But I like different type movies.
I was born in 1970...grew up in the seventies...and this film was really good.

Posts: 315 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: January 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
It is getting harder and harder to watch fundamental Americana driven by individualism and self determination, disappear from our daily lives.

Old movies and music bring it back in a heartbeat.

But then left with that sadness knowing some will never experience such wonders.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Notice that none of the characters have names. They have only roles- The Driver, The Mechanic, The Girl, etc.

I would be very surprised to learn that Walter Hill's 1978 film The Driver was not influenced in this respect by Two-Lane Blacktop.

Hill's film treats characters the same way- The Driver, The Detective, The Player, The Connection, etc.

**edit**

Oh, hey, whadda ya know? Here it is. Smile

Let's call this one neo-noir. I think it fits the bill.

Link to Bitchute for full-screen viewing

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post