SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Looking for more fun hobbies.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for more fun hobbies. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Biathlon?

I mean, to a decrepit old guy, it seems like an awful lot of work to just shoot a .22 target comp.

But it definitely seems like it would fill the “get outside and do stuff “ requirement. And I am guessing it’s one of those very, very common things that looks way easier than it actually is…

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Bike on the water. Yamaha Waverunner. It’s a blast. A few hours on the lake, especially when you turn it off, jump in and float, feels like a vacation from life. I have motorcycles also but I love the ski.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12627 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Canoe/kayaking, which lends itself to fishing.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Bike on the water. Yamaha Waverunner. It’s a blast. A few hours on the lake, especially when you turn it off, jump in and float, feels like a vacation from life. I have motorcycles also but I love the ski.

Used to have one! It was a hell of a lot of fun.

Canoe/kayaking seem like top options at the moment.

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Side by sides are fun. And you can screw on every doo dad under the sun to make it yours. Windshields, mirrors, radios, lift kits, gun racks, Trump flags etc.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hillbilly Wannabe
posted Hide Post
Do you own your own house, property?

Gardening/landscaping is a great hobby and can be very physical. Moving timbers, large rocks, digging big holes and getting to see the results of your efforts is rewarding.

Posts: 2545 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Sailing is about as physical as you can get or want. Relaxing or hard-charging, depending on your comfort level and the water to which you have access.

I'll second that. Small one to two person dinghy's (12 foot'ish) will kick your ass and 20-30 foot racing boats will do the same for you and a crew. Probably can find a local "learn to sail" program in your neighborhood, check with the local sailing club. Good way to learn is to be a dock rat, introduce yourself and offer to crew, people are always looking for willing and able participants. Crewing on a racing boat accelerates the learning by orders of magnitude. Been a sailor and racer for 40+ years, never gets old.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Buy a decent camera, maybe one of the newer mirrorless and a lens or three. Since you like the outdoors, start chasing subjects, use the internet or books to find things to photograph. Get a decent program for post processing, find a local gallery to take some prints on consignment.

You'll have fun and maybe even sell a piece. I've been doing it for 17 years, along with other hobbies.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Buy a decent camera, maybe one of the newer mirrorless and a lens or three. Since you like the outdoors, start chasing subjects

Note: Chasing after people with a camera might be frowned upon in some jurisdictions...

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Fishing. It may not be the most physically active thing, but it isn't sedentary.

Anyone can get lures wet, but learning to be an effective fisherman involves knowing a lot of stuff. I find it interesting.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Fishing. It may not be the most physically active thing, but it isn't sedentary.
To each their own, and I certainly mean no disrespect toward those who enjoy the hobby, but, personally, I found fishing to be the most mind-numbingly boring hobby I ever tried.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’ll be the third or fourth person to say don’t discount sailing.

Otherwise, if you live near the right water, kiteboarding looks like fun.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
To each their own, and I certainly mean no disrespect toward those who enjoy the hobby, but, personally, I found fishing to be the most mind-numbingly boring hobby I ever tried.

Some can be, but fly fishing isn't one of them. Wading up and down a stream, constantly casting, changing flies, trying again, maybe the next riffle/pool, maybe behind that rock, why isn't this working?, maybe this will work, Damn! lousy cast, try again, did they see me?, what are they eating?, did I present naturally?,...FISH ON!

That ain't boring.

Sitting in a boat with a bobber, sinker, and worm? Yep, that can be boring, but there's a place for that too. Wink

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

Some can be, but fly fishing isn't one of them. Wading up and down a stream, constantly casting, changing flies, trying again, maybe the next riffle/pool, maybe behind that rock, why isn't this working?, maybe this will work, Damn! lousy cast, try again, did they see me?, what are they eating?, did I present naturally?,...FISH ON!

That ain't boring.

Sitting in a boat with a bobber, sinker, and worm? Yep, that can be boring, but there's a place for that too. Wink

I have played with fly fishing, but that isn't the best way to fish around here.

Drowning worms under a bobber at random, hoping for the best is boring, but it isn't really fishing for me.

I mean much more active fishing - figuring out where the fish are (deep, shallow, relating to structure), are they feeding, on what, at what time, what will imitate that, etc., and then trying to execute that plan is not boring.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I'm also in the no fishing camp. I live in Colorado and my family has a cabin in the mountains where some of the best creek fly fishing can be had and it still is less interesting to me than watching water come to a boil. Golf too. Both are just good ways to ruin a perfectly good walk in my opinion. No offense to people who get joy from these hobbies.

What I do like is shooting sports (USPSA, IDPA style), mountain biking, exploring ohv trails and roads on my WR250, motocross, guitar playing, and fitness competitions like Spartan style races.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Knife throwing or Ax throwing. Both are very sharp hobbies.

--or--

Judo

--or--

you could buy a horse, and that will take up so much time that you won't need any other hobbies. But riding the trails on horseback (where allowed) is tons of fun.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10923 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9x18:
Do you own your own house, property?

Gardening/landscaping is a great hobby and can be very physical. Moving timbers, large rocks, digging big holes and getting to see the results of your efforts is rewarding.

My wife does that, with big rewards for the effort and expense involved. I would add custom walkways and pavers, that sort of thing, which I've done some, and the rewards are fantastic for the level of effort and expense.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8679 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well i give it a go!
if you have a skeet range near you give it a try, but only if you can afford it. I never thought I would enjoy shooting clay birds as much as I do, skeet trap and sporting clays provide a good amount of walking at a slow pace.

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Competition shooting matches like USPSA, IPSC, Cowboy etc is enjoyed by many. They require movement, variation, practice and preparation in varying amounts according to how much time and effort you wish to invest.

Side effect is that you will become more proficient with firearms.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I mountain bike and run. I play guitar and mandolin. I too, hike. And I spend countless hours on SF.

Posts: 11383 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post