SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Looking for more fun hobbies.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for more fun hobbies. Login/Join 
Picture of dwd1985
posted
I currently have a motorcycle, play hockey, and go hiking relatively frequently, and obviously shoot...but I am looking to have more fun. I have been brainstorming and I cannot think of something else to get into, so I am looking for suggestions. Here are the common ones I have heard already:

-Golf: No. I hate it. Boring.
-Scuba Diving: Open to it but not super appealing.
-Live music: Love it, but Im not a fan of large crowds
-Travel: I travel around the US a lot for work and often also for leisure. International travel isn't much of an option for me due to my work.

What else do people do for fun?

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Fishing? Sailing? Painting? Photography? Ham radio? Geocaching? Learn an instrument?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dwd1985
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
Fishing? Sailing? Painting? Photography? Ham radio? Geocaching? Learn an instrument?

Appreciate those suggestions but I should clarify I’m looking for things that are more physical. Most of those involve sitting for a long time. I like to get up and out. Although geocaching is one I hadn’t considered.

Posts: 4455 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Project car, or bike?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ham radio?

Beat me to it. This is a good one as you can mix it in with your hiking. Parks on the air and summits on the air are pretty popular.

quote:
Learn an instrument?

Beat me to it again. Pick up guitar. That'll keep you busy for awhile.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Archery is a good one if you want physical activity and already enjoy the shooting sports.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Archery is a good one if you want physical activity and already enjoy the shooting sports.

Thats a good one, and a good reminder that I need to set my archery stand/target back up

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Physically active and fun, eh...?

What about mountain biking, which depending on your location doesn't necessarily have to involve mountains, just off-road trails

You play hockey, so how about joining another community league ("beer league") sports team for the non-hockey season, like softball, soccer, or dodgeball.

Racquetball can be surprisingly fun and a good cardio workout, if you have access to a gym with courts and a partner.

Perhaps Crossfit, or some other group workout program? Maybe working towards a team adventure race like Spartan/Warrior/Etc.

Or there's always a book club. Snack on tea and crumpets while you debate whether Heathcliff or Edgar was more of a suitable husband for Catherine. Big Grin

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Slot car or RC car racing is fun, stop by a hobby shop that has weekly races going on and watch for a while.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Yoop has a boom and bust history that leaves lots of old mines, buildings, pioneer cemeteries and other sites that I explore. Research them in winter, go there in good weather. Take lots of photos so photography factors in. I especially like lighthouses. Tuesday of last week I went to the Vermillion Point Lifesaving Station.
My kid magnet fishes. That can be... interesting!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16087 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
If you have access to some land, get a dirt bike. Maybe a nice KTM EXC/XC enduro?

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bowling

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Sailing is about as physical as you can get or want. Relaxing or hard-charging, depending on your comfort level and the water to which you have access.

Rock climbing or scrambling or perhaps canyoning or kayaking might suit too, but I don't know where you are in the world.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Fly fishing. It takes practice to become a great fly fisherman. It could also lead to fly tying which takes up time when you can’t be outside. No sitting around, I’m hiking and constantly moving. Also, not sure of your location but that might offer up more suggestions for activities specific to your region.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
-Golf: No. I hate it. Boring.
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this one Smile I’ve found golf to be a lot of things. Boring ain’t one of ‘em.
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
quote:
Fishing? Sailing? Painting? …
Appreciate those suggestions but I should clarify I’m looking for things that are more physical.
It don’t get much more physical than sailing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Skydiving!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8880 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Fitness, try to do something every day; sometimes it’s a formal workout, sometimes it’s just a walk.

Guitar. Mostly electric, and I pay for online lessons. 5 days a week, or thereabouts.

Foreign language. Spanish for me. I should probably take a different direction, I’ve been studying for a long time but my progress seems glacial sometimes. Still, I enjoy it, continue to make progress and feel like it’s good for me. I feel like all 3 keep me moving and engaged with life.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of usp_fan
posted Hide Post
If you like physical and the technical aspects of an activity, I second Mountain Biking. Awesomely fun and a technical rabbit hole if you want it to be.

Posts: 2504 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: March 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
If it's an option, wind surfing.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pickle Ball.

Posts: 247 | Location: Utah | Registered: June 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post