SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Northern Exposure
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Exposure Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Northern Exposure was one of my all time favorite series. Last week my brother let me know it is now on Prime. I don't know how long it has been on Prime. I think the first season is not done to well, it gets better as times moves on.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
There was a conversation bout NE not too long ago about the DVD's. Someone mentioned, if I recall correctly, they weren't totally true to the show as the music was different.
I hope these are the original.

ETA: Is it free now?
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...820097405#5820097405

Posts: 7500 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
There was a conversation bout NE not too long ago about the DVD's. Someone mentioned, if I recall correctly, they weren't totally true to the show as the music was different.
I hope these are the original.

ETA: Is it free now?
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...820097405#5820097405

Yes, free for Amazon Prime members.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3637 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
The wife and I are binging on this. I have very fond memories of watching Northern Exposure back in the days of Sony Trinitron televisions.

I agree the first season and the last season are not nearly as good as the middle of the run. The last season is especially tedious. The final show had a great closing sequence with the Iris Dement song “Our Town” playing under a montage of scenes of “Cicely”.

I lost of lot of interest in Janine Turner when I learned she was once engaged to Alec Baldwin. But I recall she once had a radio show that had a conservative orientation.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1637 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've started binging it because of this thread.... the odd thing is Janine is not doing much for me this time around. .....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I may have to watch the first few seasons. If memory serves, the show lost much of its charm toward the end of its run.

Posts: 3218 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Barry Corbin dominated every scene he was in. He's still with us at 83, BTW.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3645 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
During its run we lived very close to the studio facility where they shot the interiors and drove out to the town that was the setting for the exteriors on several occasions. We loved the show.

Posts: 4224 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I've started from the beginning, again, and am looking forward to the appearance of Adam, the chef.
The characters on the show are great.

Posts: 7500 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That was a great show, real characters flaws and all.
Janine Turner was quite pleasant on teh eyes Big Grin

When I climbed Denali back in '99, you fly out of Talkeetna to land on the glacier. Talkeetna was the inspirational town for the fictional town of Cicely in the show. There definitely was some characters roaming around, however this is pretty standard in every Alaskan village/town/hamlet

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Original music, or the lame substitute music?

Posts: 109261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Music… I can’t recall if it’s the same or substituted. The only piece of music I actually remember is the Iris Dement song…. And we haven’t got to the final episode in this re-watching.

Posts: 1637 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Talkeetna is maybe the only “typical Alaskan” town I’ve been to, and the exterior shots definitely reminded me of it.

I feel the same way about Janine Turner. Easy on the eyes, but back then, the little I saw of the show I would have gone back to see more of her. But I didn’t.

Watching episode 2 on Prime as I write.

Posts: 18437 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
The wife and I finished the entire run of this series… sort of.

We fast-forwarded through many of the episodes in final two seasons… the writing and new characters just couldn’t keep our interest. The first few seasons had so many interesting plots, with characters who had dimensions, foibles, qualities, failings and interesting things to say.

As is typical in lazy television writing, subtle tension and conflict is replaced with characters shouting at eachother… very often with little provocation. That’s what happened in the later years of Northern Exposure. It reminds me of what M*A*S*H degenerated into… an endless stream of shouting and sudden anger in the last seasons of that show. As if anger is a substitute for drama.

I really enjoyed the middle episodes in this run. It was excellent TV back then, it’s still excellent TV today.

Para, it seemed to me that the music used in the first run back in the ‘90’s is still being used in these streaming re-runs. John Lee Hooker tunes… and the Iris Dement song at the close were as I remembered them.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sailor1911:
So, you are sending me back down a rabbit hole!
In a manner of speaking, yes:

Rabbit Holes: you must go down them without SIGforum

Posts: 109261 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Is this something that Amazon and other streaming services do to save on paying royalties to the copyright owners of the music?

Posts: 6715 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

Is this something that Amazon and other streaming services do to save on paying royalties to the copyright owners of the music?

Exactly. Keen Eddie got ruined the same way. The original music was carefully tailored to the characters and action on the screen.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3645 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Exactly. Keen Eddie got ruined the same way. The original music was carefully tailored to the characters and action on the screen.

Are there other movies/TV series I should watch out for where they've done this?

I have watched a few episodes of Northern Exposure. But I came in the middle. So I couldn't really follow what was happening. As I recall, the Northern Exposure series ran before streaming was a thing.

Is there any way to avoid the switch in music scores? What if you are purchasing the movie/show off of iTunes or something similar? Do they change the music scores in those?

Posts: 6715 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
I've been occasionally streaming it. The show is all the more hilarious after living in Alaska for a while. Yes, there are people exactly like Marilyn.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11898 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:
quote:

It was something to do with the rights of the songs and musicians. Basically, their song is played so they get paid. That is why you never see the music industry season/episodes of "Wise Guy".

Posts: 4071 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post