SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What band surprised you?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What band surprised you? Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
I went an saw a solo guitarist perform at LA Tech roundabout 2001. Didn't know the name. Free show on campus. It was absolutely one of the most phenomenal live shows I've ever seen.

His name is Tommy Emmanuel.

Same tour as this show:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lHL65HXLWkU" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

A few yrs back I posted his video here. He was playing in a mall in Australia? A few dozen seats or so set up to see Tommy. In a mall.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
A few yrs back I posted his video here. He was playing in a mall in Australia? A few dozen seats or so set up to see Tommy. In a mall.

I would've ceased what I was doing and had a seat for the duration.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Surprisingly enough Queen. I liked them well enough, but not exactly a fan. Absolutely blown away by the showmanship of Freddy Mercury in particular and the whole show was great. Another One Bites The Dust hadn’t been released yet, that one just blew me clear away.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Loreena Mckennitt.

Not my usual fare, now one of my favorites.

Check out Live at the Alhambra on YouTube

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
A long time ago, some friends and I went to the Milwaukee Summerfest. They wanted to see Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes. I wasn't much of a fan of the band, but said 'what the heck, I'm in'.

The opening act was a band none of us had ever heard of - George Thorogood and the Destroyers. Wow, did they put on a show. They had the place so fired up that the crowd started booing when they finished and Southside Johnny came on.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Houndmouth is an incredibly talented band, despite only having the one hit - Sedonna - that made it big.

Also, I only went because my wife is a big fan, but Shinedown puts on one hell of a concert.

Posts: 10749 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Young Fresh Fellows opened up for Red Hot Chili Peppers. YFF we're so awesome. RHCP were amazing, too.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Richard Thompson. The old Englishman, Richard Thompson from Fairport Convention, and a jillion other projects.

I knew he was good, and I knew I liked his stuff, but seeing him live was incredible. He is such a good guitar player, and even more importantly, such a good musician. The one time I saw him live in a small venue, remains the best show I have ever seen.

I've seen him like 5-6 times now over the past 15 years or so and also think he's incredible, very underrated.

Roiling Stone actually listed him #69 out of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time in 2015. He's really unique in that he can rock out on an electric then pick up an acoustic the very next song and kick ass with it too.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I'm not a country and western fan. Friends were coming into town and I felt obligated to go. Sugarland was playing at the State Fair. Jennifer Nettles went 80 to 100 percent on her voice for two and a half hours. Serious chops that just blew me away. For those who've never sang before it takes years to build up that kind of stamina. And, it takes work everyday to keep it.

Years ago my wife wanted to go to Lilith Fair. Show included Sheryl Crow and Sarah Mclachlan. A little known band well before their troubles included the Dixie Chicks. They stole that show.

Third is a band a friend of mine was in for a bit called Rock Sugar. They did another spin on covers. Got big enough again at the Colorado State Fair to open for Queensryche. They did a cover of Bohemian Rhapsody that was one of the best live vocal performance and arrangement I've ever heard with just four guys. If you've been lucky enough to see Queen live they leave the stage during the opera section. Rock Sugar sang it live. Its no where near what the recording was, but really ambitious for 4 guys at a live show.

Last is Maynard Ferguson. I've seen him live three times. The last was later in his career. They nailed Birdland like its never been nailed before. I know I'll never hear that song that well ever again. That's how good and special that brief 5 minutes turned out to be. Just one of those things you never forget.

Posts: 7525 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UpTheIrons
posted Hide Post
1992-ish.
Saw Soundgarden open for Guns "N Roses.
This was back when Axl was doing the "I am the singer, I'll show up when I want to" thing. I had heard of Soundgarden, but had really not paid any mind to them up until this point.

Soundgarden came on at 7:00 and were done a little after 8:00. By 10:00 Guns had still not come on. I thought, I've seen the best band here tonight, I'm going home. Soundgarden really blew me away that night, and I've been a fan ever since. R.I.P. Chris Cornell.

“I used to be totally into Steve Vai and Joe Satriani and other shredders, and I tried to emulate what they did and really grow as a guitarist,” Mr. Hanneman said in “Louder Than Hell.” “Then I said, ‘I don’t think I’m that talented, but more important, I don’t care.’ ”

Posts: 1726 | Location: Arizona Territory | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
The Record Company. Old school blues rock, first saw them opening for one of Brian Setzers Christmas tours.

I saw Totsy opening for the BSO Christmas Tour in 2012. Great band!

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:

The opening act was a band none of us had ever heard of - George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
The Record Company. Old school blues rock, first saw them opening for one of Brian Setzers Christmas tours.

I saw Totsy opening for the BSO Christmas Tour in 2012. Great band!

I saw that tour as well! Was blown away by them. Unfortunately only the one album, but a few singles recently.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
A very pleasant surprise for me was Robin Trower. He opened for King Crimson and Ten Years After in 1974. I had heard a few of his songs on the radio, but he was awesome live. Seen him 7 more times since, have most all his albums, he will always be one of my favorites.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Zao, Funeral of god, St. Pete theater.
What a show.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post