SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave” Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Missed this thread before, but am glad to see it now as I’m not happy with my current shaving cream.

I spent 40 years with disposable razors and lousy shaves. My boys turned me on to shaving with a safety razor. My set-up is:

- Edwin Jagger DE89 razor
- Pure badger bristle brush (”liberated” from my son and I don’t know the brand)
- Parker premium platinum blades
- Taylor of Old Bond St. shaving cream.

I’ve been using the Taylor of Old Bond St. shaving cream for 10 years, but the last two tubs have been noticeably inferior. I don’t know if they’re cutting corners, or maybe I’m getting counterfeit product (via Amazon).

Regardless, I’ll be perusing this thread for alternative shaving creams and soaps! Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor. Whatever else you end up deciding to try as far as soaps, bop on down to your local Wally World and buy a tube of Cremo. It comes in a squeeze tube. You can combine it with other soaps, or use it by itself. I have a whole stack of pucks from Stirling that I don't even bother with anymore. The Cooling Menthol is excellent.

Update from me: Still as above, with an alum block and Pinaud Lime Sec or Florida Water, but I've been dipping into the large pile of sample blades I bought when I started this adventure. Discovered that the Derby Extras I couldn't get a decent shave with before work really well in my Slim Adjustable cranked one or two clicks higher than I used for Feathers. I have others, but the Slim Adjustable has become my favorite and basically all I use anymore.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I’ve been using the Taylor of Old Bond St. shaving cream for 10 years, but the last two tubs have been noticeably inferior. I don’t know if they’re cutting corners, or maybe I’m getting counterfeit product (via Amazon).

Regardless, I’ll be perusing this thread for alternative shaving creams and soaps! Razz

Hey CoolRich, I've often ordered from amazon and have had the same concern, leading me to try other sources.
I found a place here in Michigan that I've had good experience w/ called https://maggardrazors.com/password but sadly I can't get into their site today because they have a private shindig or something going on and the site is shutdown until 4pm EST.

I'm a big fan of your Edwin Jagger DE89. It's my most used razor as it's a nice mild razor for shaving my head. I usually load it w/ Gillette Silver Blue (made in Russia so I'm not sure currently how available they are).

I can't really recommend shave cream as I'm a soap guy. I think my favorite soaps are Sterling Soaps, Mama Bear Soaps, or DR Harris Marlborough soap.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks P220 Smudge and dsiets! Great suggestions.

I also read through the entire thread last night and took notes.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Today's Shave
I think it's been 3 weeks as I was staring to look like a wherewolf, therewolf, er, werewolf in my bathroom.

I couldn't even remember what blade was in my cheap but trusty DE89 EJ. It was a Perma-Sharp that did well enough that I don't think I'll have women and children crossing the street to avoid me. The Perma-Sharp has been consistently good for me for the price but a notch below my favorite.

Brush- Sterling Soap cheapy synthetic brush that has been working great.
Soap - Sterling Soap Bay Rum. I've not met a Bay Rum I haven't liked. I love the various renditions.
After Shave - FINE Platinum. I like the burn and it smells great.

It was like 70*F here. I threw on my LA Police Gear 5 Branches Tactical Tiki™ Short Sleeve Button Up Shirt, shorts, sandals and went to the polls to vote for DJT and got lots of comments on my style (here in MI. In Feb.)

Incoming from Sterling Soap.
-LIME shave soap. This is supposed to smell incredible on top of the usual performance.
-Rosemary Mint - Shampoo Bar. I like mild shampoo bars just to wash my scalp over regular bar soap.

Posts: 7349 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Long time between posts.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Long time between posts.

Yes, Thomas, Smile
I was feeling the downs lately and I have to say, a good shave was a big help. So was 70* in Feb. up here in MI.
I hope you've been trying something other than those Merkur blades and old Williams pucks. Razz

Come on into the boutique shaving pool. The lather is fine. Big Grin

ETA: I see you mention CBL Tonsorial soap. What are your thoughts on that?

Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Long time between posts.

Yes, Thomas, Smile
I was feeling the downs lately and I have to say, a good shave was a big help. So was 70* in Feb. up here in MI.
I hope you've been trying something other than those Merkur blades and old Williams pucks. Razz

Come on into the boutique shaving pool. The lather is fine. Big Grin

ETA: I see you mention CBL Tonsorial soap. What are your thoughts on that?

I read comparisons to Williams, and it seems, even something about securing a formula for Williams. I found it lacking.

I was using German Wilkinson’s.

Hate to lose you as a friend, but…

I got tired of getting cut. Probably a combination of getting older and that aggressive Merkur razor. A couple months ago I bought my first electric razor. Never had one in my life. Do I like it? That’s not a simple yes or no question. The shave doesn’t approach a blade shave. I could easily shave every other day with a blade. Now, I often shave every day. Speed? Takes about as long to do a good shave with an electric. I’m not getting cut. I still shave with a blade from time-to-time. I doubt that I will go back to blade full time.

Still friends?

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I completely understand. Wink
I only shave at most, once a week and w/ a mild Edwin Jagger. When I pull out my Parker Variant I often seem to get a nick or two on my head even when I dial it down.

Someday I'll probably have to switch back to a multi-blade disposable as I hope to keep the brush and soap.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Dsiets, Stirling lime is my favorite. I follow it up with Pinaud Lime Sec and then Stirling’s lime shave balm. Let us know what you think once you get a few shaves with it.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a cheap guy. I hate paying 15-20 dollars for a soap puck. I was on Amazon awhile ago and saw a 4 pack of Viking Revolution pucks for dirt cheap. So cheap I figured it was worth a shot. When they arrived they were smaller than I was used to 2.5 oz, but most pucks I buy are too big for my bowls so this wasn't concerning. I have been using the first one for a couple months now. It lathers up nice and thick and easily too. I recommend the brand for cheapskates like me.

Posts: 7459 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Honestly, if you want to go real cheap, Cremo is about unbeatable. $8 for a tube and it’s outlasted anything and everything I’ve tried.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Dsiets, Stirling lime is my favorite. I follow it up with Pinaud Lime Sec and then Stirling’s lime shave balm. Let us know what you think once you get a few shaves with it.

If the Lime smells as good as the Iced Pineapple and Almond Creme, I should be happy.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I didn't use the Sterling Lime today as I had been doing some reading on Tabac and them making a new, tallow-less formulation some time ago. Mad
Apparently I missed that memo so I quickly ordered another Tabac shave soap stick.
Word on the street is that the new formula is maybe even better so I was expecting the new formula in the mail. Today by luck, the old tallow formula showed up (I can always get the new stuff later) and I stashed it away and whipped out my current partly used tallow stick and had a great shave on head and face.

-EJ87 razor
-Silver Blue blade, second use. Second and third are the best for me.
-Tabac stick tallow version.* It smells like an old lady but awesome lather.
-Sterling synthetic brush
-Marcus Miller "Silver Rain" cd during shower and shave.
-Georgetown pottery always keeping my brush warm as I face lather mostly w/ soap in its own bowl or shave stick on face and don't bowl lather unless I do a combo super lather w/ shave cream.

Am I the only one that steps in for a shower and shave and turns on the music?

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Cremo shave cream is great. I’ve stuck with Feather razors and a Merkur barber poll razor.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post