SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave” Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've shaved with a Norelco for about 50 years with an occasional deviation to a Gillette multi blade. The last couple weeks or so I've been trying the DE safety razor route. The razor is a RazoRock Lupo 72 (also have a Lupo 95 base plate, but haven't been brave enough to use it yet) with Kai blades. Have been using Van Der Hagen Shave Butter without a brush. There's definitely a learning curve-still drawing a tiny bit of blood but it is a nice, smooth shave.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Georgetown Pottery has their “factory second” scuttles on sale, $30 for the small and $35 for the large.

Great deal, I’ve had mine for several years now and still haven’t figured out what the defect might be.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Same razor and blade that I always use - a Karve with a B solid bar and a Gillette Nacet.

But I got a new tub of Sterling's Lemon Chill soap and the Lemon Chill aftershave. Both are full of menthol goodness.

I've used it before, and it is a favorite soap.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve been back to shaving with a DE razor for a year now. Tried a lot of different blades, both from a sampler I bought and an assortment of blades that dsiets sent me (thanks again). My razor is a Merkur Futur and it’s an aggressive razor. It took some time to reach the conclusion that it’s aggressive enough that the best blade setting is “1” (the Futur is an adjustable). I recall that a long time ago when I had a Gillette adjustable, the setting was in the middle somewhere.

I’ve also looked deeper into blades. I’ve come to realize that there are two scales that blades can be judged on: sharpness and smoothness. Feather is the acknowledged champion of sharpness; it’s a 10 on the 10 Scale. Wilkinson Germany is somewhere in the middle of the 10 Scale for sharpness, but for a smooth shave, it’s hard to beat. I’ve come to realize that I don’t really care for blades like the Feather, which has a big following. I also like the Merkur blade, which like the Wilkinson, seems to be a good compromise between sharpness and smoothness, BUT, as Dave points out, they’re hellaciously expensive in comparison to other blades.

Still using Williams shaving soap, as I have for almost the entirety of my adult life. I’m rather attached to my old Victor ceramic mug. It’s somewhere between 75 - 100 years old, and while I’m tempted to, once again, try some other shaving soaps, it would have to fit my mug.

I just tried Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm. It’s Aww-iight. There’s a shit-ton of men’s grooming products out there and many (most?) are really expensive. I could probably afford to spend more, but, I think most of it is kinda silly.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I just tried Nivea for Men Aftershave Balm. It’s Aww-iight. There’s a shit-ton of men’s grooming products out there and many (most?) are really expensive. I could probably afford to spend more, but, I think most of it is kinda silly.

Yes, you can fall into the rabbit hole. But trying new things can be rewarding.

As for the Nivea Aftershave Balm they used to make a "cooling" one that I loved. As these mega companies are prone to do, they dump 'em and make "NEW" stuff all the time.
They ditched or changed my cooling balm Mad

As for adjustible razors, my Parker Variant sounds not too far off from your Futur. For me, anything over 1.5 and I might pay for it, depending on the blade.

For soap to fit your mug, some enthusiasts will take a cheese grader (you may or may not want to let your wife know Wink ) and shred the soap and re-pack it into whatever bowl or shape you like.
But I usually just use the standard plastic bowls that many soaps come in now days.
Momma Bears, Sterling Soaps, etc.

If I was to recommend one for you, Tabac might be it. If you were so inclined to step out of the Williams shave pool. [aloof whistling emoji]

ETA: For years I would see a row of stocked William shave pucks (new recipe) on my local grocer's shave shelf. I had bought a few (99 cents) and having a retirement home across the street, I've seen other distinguished gentlemen picking them up.
Now, the store was sold and I no longer see those friendly pucks on the shelf as I pass by.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
TMats
You don’t have to use soap that fits your mug, you can fit your soap in the mug, I have a ceramic dish my daughter made in middle school art class that is mis-shapened and frankly ugly. But I use it for shave soaps. You can trim the soap cake to fit, then fit in the trimmings put some hot water on it, drain it off then press with your thumb, presto custom fit soap cake.

So I am looking for unscented after shave balm. I use a pea size amount with with after shave just to provide some moisture and soothing quality. I have been using feather Kanwa, which was discontinued 10 years ago. I bought a bunch but it’s running out. I don’t have much interest in making my own.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
As for the Nivea Aftershave Balm they used to make a "cooling" one that I loved. As these mega companies are prone to do, they dump 'em and make "NEW" stuff all the time.

This here?
https://www.amazon.com/NIVEA-M...-Shave/dp/B00Q2MYU1U

That's what I use most often, and it does me well. Alum block, a splash of Lime Sec, let it dry and then work in some of that and I'm good for the day.

As for the discussion on blades, it prompted some thoughts for me. I've been using Feather blades pretty much exclusively for about two years now. For sharpness, yes, they are the undisputed champ. For smoothness, well... you have to be careful. I talked about buying a Slim Adjustable on the previous page. With a Feather in that puppy, the blade gap set at six requires care to shave with. At seven or eight, I best watch myself. Any hesitation or flaw in my technique and I'm bleeding in a half dozen places. I had my picture taken for the company website last week, and I shaved very, very carefully that morning with that razor and blade combo, and it came out great. For most daily shaving, it's just too much, and I go with a Feather in my Super Speed Heavy. I think it's about time to start trying out other blades again. I still have a couple sample packs worth of blades in the medicine cabinet, I'll have to see if there's some Wilkinson Sword in there. Derby may actually yield a good, comfortable shave in the Adjustable. I'm guilty of getting set on one thing and doing it to death, so I'm glad this came up.

Of note is that I haven't used a brush or a puck soap hardly at all in the last year. Occasionally here and there a while back, but not at all in at least nine months. I have become a Cremo adherent. I shave in the shower every morning before work, and just get it over and done with. May let my wife or son pick out which Stirling soap I should use tomorrow and do a leisurely shave before we head into downtown for the afternoon.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:

This here?
https://www.amazon.com/NIVEA-M...-Shave/dp/B00Q2MYU1U

That's what I use most often, and it does me well. Alum block, a splash of Lime Sec, let it dry and then work in some of that and I'm good for the day.

I believe that's the new version. The old version had alcohol for some burn before the cooling kicked and is what got me into the alcohol + menthol kick that I enjoy.
I want to say it smelled subtly like pineapple/citrus? but otherwise hard to describe.
When it was no longer in the store some yrs. back, I looked on the website and it was gone and that new one later appeared. I want to say I tried it but I might need to give it another go.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Nivea product that P220 Smudge linked is the stuff I ordered. I’ve got 3 bottles of it, so I guess I’ll know for sure if I like it before too long.

Posts: 13225 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Tried a Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge in the Slim Adjustable yesterday. Sharp is no joke. Got myself in a few spots. Today was much better. A smoother feel than the Feather, overall. Good shaves, too. I like it. Need to see how it does in my SuperSpeed.

Then I realized I might have missed my window on all these Russian blades. Can't get friggin' tubes for my amps now, I gotta buy Chinese shit. At least if I fall in love with a Russian Gillette blade I can't buy, I can still get Feathers. Ugh.

https://www.amazon.com/Oclock-...e%2Caps%2C137&sr=8-2

I'm gonna have to speedwalk through trying out the others. I think I have a pack of Nacets also. I need to look. If I gotta lay in a supply of a few hundred blades, I want to make sure it's a blade I really like.

Posts: 17100 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
For Russian blades I had previously stocked up on my favorite Gillette Silver Blues a few yrs. back.
I wish I had stocked up on the Israeli Personna Reds. They used to be $10/100. Now I think they are no longer being made in Israel.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I decided to conduct an experiment. I threw a Derby Extra Super Stainless in the Slim Adjustable and cranked it up to six. Then seven for the second, third, and cleanup passes. Wow. What a smooth, comfortable shave. Just excellent. Those blades in a standard Super Speed chew my face up and I don’t even get everything. All they needed to work for me was twice the blade gap and some added angle. Who knew? When this one is toast, I’m throwing a Shark in there. My previous experience says they’re worthless. We’ll see if the adjustable gives them a new lease on life.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
I decided to conduct an experiment. I threw a Derby Extra Super Stainless in the Slim Adjustable and cranked it up to six. Then seven for the second, third, and cleanup passes. Wow. What a smooth, comfortable shave.

Aren't you supposed to start more aggressive at the start to get the blade to fight the growth, then gradually dial it down as finish?
I learned that after I set my face on fire w/ my alcohol aftershave (I like a little burn) when my Parker Variant and ??? blade did a number on me, starting at 1 and finishing at 3.
Or maybe it's personal preference?

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I read people do it either way. Worked fine for me. It was Friday morning and I wasn’t really awake, it may have been that I did about half my face on six and dialed it up to seven to finish, as I think back. Logic would dictate that what you said would the way to do it, though, yes.

I generally don’t even mess with changing the setting during a shave, though. I could, but I mostly don’t.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
I generally don’t even mess with changing the setting during a shave, though. I could, but I mostly don’t.

I think this is what I should strive for. Just because I can make adjustments during the shave, it doesn't mean I should.

Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Didn’t update at the time, but I ended up returning the Viking’s Blade razor just wasn’t a fan of the asymmetrical design. I recently picked up another Fat Boy wanna be, the Parker “Variant” adjustable razor. I really like this one, about the same price as the Viking at $59. Loaded it up with a new Personna Red blade and got a great shave at number 3 setting. Has a really nice heft to it and looks good.

This may become my new favorite (until the next one :; )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y3QLXKG/

quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
I’ve been back and forth about trying to get a Gillette Fat Boy adjustable in good shape. Prices are crazy for a decent one and at one point I was going to pay even more to have it refinished.

Fast forward and I saw a “Vikings Blade Emperor Meiji” adjustable razor on Amazon that looks very similar to the Fat Boy. At $60 bucks, It is less than half what you can expect to pay for a good condition Fat Boy on eBay. So I ordered one to check out.

Had my first shave with it the other day and I like it. Very similar dimensions to the Fat Boy, nice finish, and a good heft to it. It is asymmetrical with one side having a comb and the other smooth. The side with the comb is a touch more aggressive than the smooth side and an adjustable collar similar to the Gillette design.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XB717WL

For it’s inaugural shave I chose:

Georgetown Pottery G20 Scuttle
Maggards Razors Limes and Bergamot soap supercharged with Cremo Menthol
Semogue 620 Boar Bristle Brush
Personna Red blade
Ca-train’s Choice Lime Aftershave

A great shave was had!

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Have any of y’all tried the Supply brand injector style razor?

Posts: 4983 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Williams Shaving Soap has been discontinued by Combe Inc., which acquired the J.B. Williams brand in 2002. Williams has been on the market since 1840, which I believe puts its release during the Van Buren presidency, more than 180 years ago. It was supposed to be the #1 selling shaving soap in America, but the profit was apparently too slim for Combe to continue it. Its demise had been rumored since 2015, and I certainly recall those rumors. I have been using Williams since the late 70s, and always bought 3 or 4 at a time. Down to my last one Frown

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
Have any of y’all tried the Supply brand injector style razor?

I have two of their injector razors. One is their original style, the other is their 2nd gen. with molded combs in the razor. Still haven't taken the 2nd gen. out of the box yet because my original works so well for me. Took me a bit to get just the right angle & pressure (or lack thereof), but I've got the correct mechanics figured out now and I'm pleased with the razor and their blades.

They have a 3rd gen. out now that has an adjustable cut in addition to the combs. I'm sure eventually I will get this model as well.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disappointing to read about Williams Shaving Soap being no more. I still have one puck of Williams and now wish I had gotten more, but with the time it takes for me to get through a puck/bowl of shaving soap I might be dead before it comes up in rotation.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post