SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave” Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
(yesterdays shave) Been warm up here so I went w/ cooling products.

My usual DE razor, Edwin Jagger
Sterling synthetic brush
Sterling Iced Pineapple shave soap
-The soap was thinning out a little after finishing my head so I added a small dab of proraso cream to my Georgia Town Pottery scuttle and rebuilt some more chillness for my face.
Gillette Silver Blue DE blade, second session.
Proraso green AS.

Once again, the Silver Blue blade impressed me. So much so I had to order another 100. I keep getting the most smooth shaves from these in my EJde89.
Im not a fan of Gillette corporate or Russia but I can't pass these up. Price has doubled since I first started buying them. (War?)
Sold not too far from home at Maggards and added a handful of new blade packs to try and another Sterling soap (almond creme) and a new one for me, Chiseled Face (Ghost Town Barber).

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Same as above but 2+ weeks later.
3rd head and face shave w/ the Silver Blue blade. Almost as close as the second shave but still very good.

Pulled out the Sterling Soap Co. Bay Rum and had a really good shave.
I love Bay Rum and the many interpretations among the crafters. No two Bay Rum products seem to ever smell the same and I like that. However, I sometimes get a little skin irritation from the stronger scented soaps on my face.
The Sterling Bay Rum gave me no troubles w/ irritation and performed great.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I did quite a lot of research in looking for a replacement for my beloved Williams Shaving Soap, since corporate decided the profit on it was too low, in spite of it being best selling, and discontinuing the brand. It had been sold since 1840; I believe Martin Van Buren was President when Williams was introduced.

CBL Tonsorial came up several times as the recommended replacement, and it’s been stated that they acquired an old formulation for Williams. CBL is roughly 3x the price that Williams used to sell for. If it’s an old Williams recipe, it’s a really old recipe, because it’s a brown colored puck and has a rather medicinal smell—not all together pleasant to my nose. I used Williams long enough to recall a previous version from years ago that had a very nice smell to it; I missed that.

The CBL is however high quality shaving soap. The first ingredient is tallow and none of the other ingredients give me pause. I ordered two pucks of the CBL Tonsorial and they sent me a sample of a smaller soap that I’ll be curious to try. In a note the smaller puck is described as “an unlabeled puck of my just released SIR Waldmoos. It is a soap that is similar to vintage Williams in performance and scented to be similar to vintage SIR Irisch Moos.” Maybe that’s the one I’m looking for.

Posts: 13257 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
^^ I never got a chance to try Sir Irisch Moos before it was discontinued.
https://www.classicshaving.com...s-shaving-soap-stick
I remember it being compared to the popular but "grandma scented" Tabac.
I like Tabac's performance but am indifferent about the scent.

Today's shave was similar to previous shaves. Gillette Silver Blue blade in my EJ. Sterling shave soaps version of Bay Rum lathered w/ one of their brushes.
I got over the China flu this past week and was overdue for a shave on head and face.
I almost feel like a new man.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Still on the Slim Adjustable, Feather and Cremo train. I see no need to change it up, I like the results.

That said, I cut the ever-loving-shit out of myself the other day. Was going to shave in the shower and I use a hand mirror. Went to wipe some water off it and put the handle in the same hand I was holding the razor with. Why? Because I do stupid shit sometimes. Anyway, I wiped the mirror with my free hand and got the outside of my thumb into the edge of the blade gap and rode it about the whole way down the blade. It was instant heavy free-bleeding. Looked like a colorized version of that scene in Pyscho. I couldn't get it to stop for about forty minutes after I got out. Liquid skin and tight wrapped band-aids since. I think I honestly should have gotten it stitched, I changed the bandage today (two days later) and some of the adhesive tugged a bit of the skin flap and it was back to heavy bleeding. "Safety razor" indeed. With the tremors, I'm glad I don't fuck around with straights anymore. I'd probably slip and take out a jugular.

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
For you brush and cup shavers, what do you use when you travel? Bringing all that stuff along is a pain. I’ve tried several shave creams in a tube, but none have been great.

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
For you brush and cup shavers, what do you use when you travel? Bringing all that stuff along is a pain. I’ve tried several shave creams in a tube, but none have been great.

After trying a shave stick, I now build lather on my face w/ soaps rather than in my shaving scuttle.
I do still use the scuttle at home but mostly just to keep my loaded brush warm between passes.

ETA: To clarify, I'm basically cutting out the shaving mug. If I really needed something, I've built lather in my off hand.
And bugger me, I was going to recommend a cheap but good shave stick but it turns out my old Palmolive shave stick has been discontinued. Mad Frown Makes me want to stock up on even more shave supplies.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I recently karma'd and mailed off this morning a 1966 Gillette slim from my collection. I have a few slims and fatboys ... but not sure how many, will have to do a count. One of my fatboys is with an original plastic case with paperwork and blades. I also have a couple of straight edge razors late 1800s from my grandfather that were both professional sharpened by Albert of Seattle Edge (member here but he has not posted in a long time).

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve become a big fan of Cremo Shave cream. Still with Feather blades and a Merkur razor.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
I recently karma'd and mailed off this morning a 1966 Gillette slim from my collection. I have a few slims and fatboys ... but not sure how many, will have to do a count.

You should sell me a Fatboy. Smile

quote:
One of my fatboys is with an original plastic case with paperwork and blades.

Nice! I have a Gillette Super Speed with the original plastic case, paperwork, and blades.

quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
I’ve become a big fan of Cremo Shave cream. Still with Feather blades and a Merkur razor.

Same setup, but with a Slim Adjustable. I'm a thorough Cremo convert. I have a variety of soaps I haven't used in probably three years. It's just that good.

I re-upped on Pinaud Lime. While I was at it, I decided it had been a very long time since I had or used Florida Water and ordered a 16oz bottle. My wife hates it, she says it smells like old man. I remind her it smells like old man because men have been using it since the 1830's and I could do worse. Besides, I'm the one who smells it all day, and I think her favorite perfume sucks, so I guess we're at an impasse. Big Grin

Posts: 17125 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recently karma'd and mailed off this morning a 1966 Gillette slim from my collection. I have a few slims and fatboys ... but not sure how many, will have to do a count. One of my fatboys is with an original plastic case with paperwork and blades. I also have a couple of straight edge razors late 1800s from my grandfather that were both professional sharpened by Albert of Seattle Edge (member here but he has not posted in a long time).

I’d be interested in a good condition FatBoy if you have one sitting around…

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:

Regular soap vs. Cremo - But WAIT! Why does it have to be one or the other?

I “supercharge” my shave by putting a small dab of Cremo in my Georgetown Pottery Scuttle then load my brush with one of my shave soaps and whip up a nice lather combining the two.

Works great!

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
I will have to dig out all my fatboys and slims ... not sure what I have since years and years ago I went on a spending splurge.

I am going to have to check out Cremo, been hearing a lot about that soap. I currently use CO Bigelow made in Italy ... can get it good price from Amazon.

rebut10 was shocked that I mailed the karma razor Saturday the 11th from western Washington and I arrived today the 13th in Maine ! Pretty dang fast from one end of the country to the other !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Why does it have to be one or the other?

... because I'm a lazy bastard? Razz

No, I used to do exactly what you described. I'll have to pick out a puck of Stirling do it with soon, I haven't gotten a brush wet in at least two years now. It's starting to warm up here now, I'll need to do cold shaves with mint and menthol stuff.

quote:
I am going to have to check out Cremo, been hearing a lot about that soap. I currently use CO Bigelow made in Italy ... can get it good price from Amazon.

Check at Walmart for Cremo, they stock a few different varieties (or at least the ones on the south end did) and it's cheaper than ordering online. Comes in a tube, which seems... really weird at first, but it's great stuff. The cooling mint is fantastic, it mixes well with many soaps if you want to do 911 Boss' trick. I also like their Formula 508. Sage Citrus, I don't recommend. I have some C.O. Bigelow aftershave balm that I've been slowly using for years. I love it. It's also minty.

quote:
rebut10 was shocked that I mailed the karma razor Saturday the 11th from western Washington and I arrived today the 13th in Maine ! Pretty dang fast from one end of the country to the other !

USPS? That's impressive.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Yes ... USPS !

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
https://cremocompany.com/produ...66791&pr_seq=uniform

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:

That’s the one I use!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Yep, that’s the good stuff right there.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
So far found five fats and seven slims ( had eight but karma'd one ). Pretty sure I have a couple more of each around here. I am very disorganized.

Of the fats, one I shave with, one I have with the original box and the other three are what I call floaters. Not sure why I have the slims except for the fact that I bought them at the time for no reason why.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Supposed to be 93°F today and really need to get rid of the hair on my head and whiskers on my face and neck. Too hot to go any longer.

New Perma-Sharp blade
1930 Gillette NEW long comb razor
Margaritas in the Artic shave soap
-added a dab of Proraso shave cream to my scuttle bowl to refresh the soap lather that was starting to thin out after I finished my head.

Not that great of a shave as I went too long between headshaves and had some small bumps that got shaved off.
My face went much better. The cooling shave soap and cream has me feeling refreshed in this heat.
The 1930 gillette New is supposed to be a mild shaver but it felt pretty aggressive today. It's been a long time since I loaded a blade into it.