SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For the DE/SE guys - “Today’s Shave” Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Today...

Georgetown Pottery 20oz scuttle
Chiseled Face Santa Paula soap
Maggards synthetic brush
PolSilver Super Iridium blade
1938-1945 Gillette Fat Handle Tech (Rhodium re-plate, triangular holes) razor
RazoRock Alum block
Thayers witch hazel with aloe
Chiseled Face Santa Paula aftershave

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Chiseled Face is new to me. How do you like it compared to Stirling? Citrus anything appeals to me, so that label has my attention. I think today I'm going to do a few cleanup passes with the Stirling Lemon Chill.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Very comparable to the Stirling as both are Tallow based.

Beware, it is not a “sweet” citrusy scent, I like it to an orange grove... orange but some “woodsy” overtones as well.

I really like it (as well as my other citrus scents of lime, bergamot, grapefruit)

Posts: 10911 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that sounds pretty good to me. May have to put that one on that list for when I finally manage to run a puck out.

I watched this guy's review, and you said pretty much the same things he did. This dude is serious about his lather game!
https://youtu.be/MTV-lEPnAck

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
this looks kinda fun...

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That’s a neat design I haven’t seen before. I’ve seen Twinplex stroppers that use spinning wheels with leather and work like a mechanical pencil sharpener. I want to pick one up at some point to see if I can get a bit more life out of blades.

Anyone using either of these devices or something similar?

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Merkur Futur set wide open today with Edge Gel shaving cream.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
Anyone using either of these devices or something similar?
I'll post results here soon. I have a Personna Israeli Red that I used for the twelfth time this morning that could be a candidate.

This morning: Game Changer .84 SB + Charcoal Goods handle, Personna Red (12) // Proraso Green tube.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
The day was, muggy.
I hadn't showered for 2 days nor shaved my head and face for 2 weeks. I was at a cottage and spent most of the morning cleaning up and loading the car. By the end I was hot, sweaty, and thirsty and looking forward to my shower at home.

-My usual go to razor, Edwin Jagger w/ a Gillette Silver Blue already in it.
-Super lathered Proraso green soap and shave cream in my GP scuttle for a nice cooling mentholated shave.
-I figured it was mandatory to follow up w/ the nice burn and cooling of the green Proraso aftershave.
-All while listening to disc 3 of Yesyears.
I'm a new man.

Posts: 7316 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful day. The heat broke and we had a beautiful day for my nieces wedding to a wonderful young man, outdoors at my sister's house.
To prepare, do I want to use my first time Kai blade that bit me on the head last time?
Using my usual razor, brush and skuttle, I kept the Kai blade in and went w/ Razo Rock's Captains Choice Bay Rum shave soap.

The small bump on my head promptly got bit again
but I followed w/ a boatload of Fine Platinum After Shave to cauterize the wound w/ some styptic pencil.
I'm really liking the Fine Platinum AS.
I'm not sure why people steer away from AS w/ alcohol but I love to embrace it and the cleanly burn. The Platinum smells awesome.

Posts: 7316 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
I was given some Wild Whiskers Shaving Soap and brush maybe 10 years ago as a birthday gift. It is from a local soap maker. Really nice stuff. I'll put it on my list for a future Karma.

Sourced from Herb's Daughter

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I just found out yesterday that you’re not allowed to have double-edged blades in your carry-on for airline flights! Lost a package of Feather blades, will need to order more. At least it wasn’t an expensive knife.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
BIC disposables are a pretty decent carryon alternative. I like the Metal variety, if you can find them.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3619 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Agree about the BIC disposables; but I just ordered a 10-pack of Feathers to my hotel from Amazon.

Posts: 18004 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I just found out yesterday that you’re not allowed to have double-edged blades in your carry-on for airline flights! Lost a package of Feather blades, will need to order more. At least it wasn’t an expensive knife.

That’s BS. I’m glad you told me, I was about to take several on an upcoming flight!

Posts: 2392 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Today's shave:

In the shower, as has been my daily method for the last five or six months -
- Cremo Sage
- Gillette 1954 red tip Superspeed loaded with a Feather blade
- Alum bar
- Pat dry and a splash of aftershave, today it was Clubman Lime Sec for the first time.
- Usually a little bit of Nivea aftershave balm of some variety, but today I just wanted to enjoy the lime smell while it lasted. I got a three pack of the "cooling" so that's what it'll be for quite some time.

I ran out of Florida water last week, which was just as well as far as my wife was concerned. Turns out she hated it and never said anything. Oh well. Big Grin

The Lime Sec was an Amazon order and I had no idea if I would love it or hate it. Turns out, it smells exactly like the pulp of a fresh lime, and since I love limes, I love Lime Sec. When the little 2oz or whatever bottle is gone, I'll get the big boy size. She doesn't like it and I don't care. Razz

I also ordered a sampler of each of Royall's aftershave/colognes. I figured this way, between the eight of them, there's got to be at least one in there that both my wife and I like on me. This was a result of her tirade about the "house smelling like old man when you use that Florida water stuff." Big Grin

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
+1 on the Clubman Lime Sec, it is one of my favs. I just wish the scent lasted as long as Clubman Bay Rum.

If you are a fan of lime, here is a soap I have been happy with

https://www.amazon.com/Lime-Sh...hoice/dp/B00W9V9O6O/

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I put that in the Amazon wish list.

I need to get back to at least occasionally shaving with soaps again. I’ve been kind of lazy about it since this spring. I guess it’s the Covid “fuck its” manifesting. I haven’t even used a shave scuttle or the nice brushes I got for Christmas last year, which I feel a bit guilty about. Haven’t touched a straight razor since some time around New Year’s.

For all that, though, I find myself shaving daily because of the mask silliness. This is easily the longest stretch of my shaving career where I’ve shaved every day.

Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Today’s shave:

Georgetown Pottery 20oz scuttle
Margarita’s in the Arctic soap supercharged with a dab of Cremo Menthol
Semogue 620 Boar bristle brush
PolSilver Iridium blade
Merkur 20C long handled razor
RazoRock Alum block
Thayers witch hazel with aloe
Clubman Lime Sec aftershave

I’ve been working odd hours and busy with a lot of house stuff for the past month or so and have been being lazy about shaving, just doing quick shaves with a disposable and water. Decided to make up for neglecting myself today with a nice long shower and a proper four pass DE shave.

Fall arrived in western WA and the past couple days overnight temps have been below freezing. With the morning chill, Margaritas in the mist is a great soap for a brisk shave and adding a touch of Cremo menthol gives it a little more bite. Having it warm in the scuttle really wakes you up applying it to your face. Margarita theme means Clubman Lime Sec after shave.

I have a top end Silvertip Badger brush, a synthetic, and the Semogue 620 boar. I like the 620 brush best. The Silvertip, while luxurious is a bit soft. The synthetic has promise, but the bristles haven’t developed a good spread yet.

The 620 has a nice spread and gives a good scrub when applying soap. It is definitely my go to brush.

Merkur handle is a solid performer, I like the length and weight. Put a PolSilver Iridium blade in it and I would match it up against anything. After four passes, my usual finish with alum block and Thayer’s witch hazel with aloe before applying the Clubman Lime Sec.

Must have picked the right combination because Mrs. 911Boss made me come back to bed for a bit Wink

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
<sigh> I've got some Clubman Lime Sec inbound. It will have a spot among my other top shelf splashes, Clubman Pinaud VI Bay Rum and Whiskey Woods. Smile