Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Best “new” film I’ve seen this year. Outstanding performances all around, especially Viola Davis. Well produced, well directed, well acted, and a killer 80’s soundtrack with lots of throwbacks. Pay attention in the beginning credit roll as you will see Mr. T, David Hasselhoff, and a ton more 80’s footage, some of which you may not have seen in a long time. My favorite was Sly on stage trying to sing with Dolly Parton. I had to press rewind it was so funny as that was one of the most awful films I’ve ever seen. And they had fun with it.

It’s showing on Amazon Prime. Great PQ for streaming. I will watch it again once it’s on 4k disc. Oh and no woke bullshit, no race baiting, no nothing. Viola Davis was excellent as usual and Matt and Ben were on point as was Jason Bateman. Smokey was great too. He needs to get in more roles.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Watched it a few days ago and agree with you entirely.

Not familar with Nike’s boss at all, i found Affleck’s portrayal a bit stiff. Probably the same with the black guy at Nike’s board, never seen him before and he sounded pretty much like Kevin Hart (?) to me.
I don’t have any background on any of them, living in a shithole in the 4th world. Also completely ignorant of the world of sports in general and basketball in particular.Please, be kind with me. Smile

BTW, i find Afeck a much better director than an actor. By a long shot.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh and no woke bullshit, no race baiting, no nothing.

^^ That alone makes it worth a watch, thanks. Smile

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
black guy at Nike’s board, never seen him before and he sounded pretty much like Kevin Hart (?) to me

Chris Tucker, the guy from Rush Hour.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6192 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We enjoyed watching it tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
We enjoyed watching it tonight. Thanks for the recommendation.

Roger that. Solid quality film hitting on the marks with excellent story, direction, acting, production, etc, everything, is getting real rare these days. Thank God someone didn’t make this into some bs series.

Spread the word!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much for this recommendation. This movie was uplifting in a quiet, and very powerful way. It's reassuring to see someone making movies that remembers when America was quintessentially about optimism, hard work, and taking big risks to create opportunity.

Posts: 110 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: April 01, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Added to my list.
I admit I was suspicious on the movie, but now, with your recommendation, its on the must see.....

Thanks!

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I also considered it suspect. I just put it in my PRIME list. We'll probably watch Friday night.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Best “new” film I’ve seen this year... Oh and no woke bullshit, no race baiting, no nothing.

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it, certainly worth watching. It was well done.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night with the Mrs. Wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was a good watch. Enjoyed it for sure.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
black guy at Nike’s board, never seen him before and he sounded pretty much like Kevin Hart (?) to me

Chris Tucker, the guy from Rush Hour.

Chris Tucker, the guy from The Fifth Element? Big Grin

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We ended up watching tonight. Very good and my wife really liked it as well. Thanks for recommending. I had sort of classified it as NBA and mentally shit-canned it before ever really looking.

Very well done and a great soundtrack to boot.

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
Boy did the soundtrack bring back a lot of memories.
Viola Davis did a great job!
I hadn't seen Jason Bateman in a loooong time.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:

I hadn't seen Jason Bateman in a loooong time.

I enjoyed him in this and thought he was great in Ozarks. As a kid/teen actor, I haaaaaated him. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
The wife and I watched this last night and thought it was quite good.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the better movies I’ve seen recently. Great cast and fantastic story. I like the MJ wasn’t front and center.

Posts: 715 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: December 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night and enjoyed it.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I thought it was well done. Interesting how they made it, it's a movie "about" Michael but he's really not in it. Well really it's a movie about sports marketing.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1881 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post