Notify
Tools

MotoGP 2021 Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Is that sand on the track!? Pretty damn bad conditions for FP3 today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Is that sand on the track!? Pretty damn bad conditions for FP3 today.

Don't have access to anything but the race, but sounds like preseason testing in Bahrain for F1 this year. Looked like rain spray, there was so much sand on track.

A bit more risky on 2 wheels, though.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The defending champ appears to be quite a bit more satisfied with his starting position. Fighting all the way up to 2nd on the final lap only to lose it like he did is probably quite motivating.

He appears to be amped about tomorrow. This was his reaction to his starting position. Cool round two at Qatar looks like it’ll be a good show.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
What a race, shocking how tight the field stayed.
The Miller incident looked intentional, IMO. The Suzuki was way wide already.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
What a race, shocking how tight the field stayed.
The Miller incident looked intentional, IMO. The Suzuki was way wide already.

It was payback for Mir’s move on Miller in Turn 10. Mir didn’t have it, forced it in there, they touched, it was extremely optimistic of Mir. He shook his boot to say sorry but he also gained a position by doing it so.... Jack’s move was definitely deliberate afterwards, there is no doubt. In MotoGP, if you read between the lines, well say you let Mir do that to you. He’ll do it again. That was Jack’s way of saying fuck you. Don’t do it again on me, I won’t tolerate it. It was definitely wrong however. Had he not looked over at Mir, Ok. Mir went wide, you went wide. But he looked over at him and did it. Bad move, bad sport. But I’m not him and he must have been fuming from Mir’s previous move on him.

Race direction handed out no penalties but I guarantee both got a talking to, about both “errors”.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
True, forgot about the forced pass on Miller earlier on.

Great race by Martin, held it together really well for the majority. Not bad for a rookie.

Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I was glad to watch Ducati, but they always do well at Qatar.

Next race will be more telling.
But the aero on the bikes make them look like a fighter jet on the ground. I am torn on the looks.

Suzuki is going to do well.

Posts: 5018 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Damn those Ducati’s are fast on the long straights. Did they pick up that extra speed from a new aero package? Suzuki tried a few new things with their aero and didn’t seem happy with the results because I believe they kept that part of the bike similar to the 2020 GSX-RR.

It’s still early but the Yamaha M1 is looking strong. Even Aprilia is making noticeable improvements. I’d love to see Aprilia continue to make progress. Hell, I’d love to see em win a race. It’s amazing how close they can be with such incredibly different machines.

I can’t wait for the next race. I picked up a smart watch a day or two before round two of Qatar and it was wild seeing how high my heart rate/BPM jumped while watching the greatest show on earth. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So it appears mister Márquez is going to make a return. Here’s to hoping Suzuki, Aprilia, Yamaha ,KTM and even the Ducati riders can stomp his ass mightily, Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
So it appears mister Márquez is going to make a return. Here’s to hoping Suzuki, Aprilia, Yamaha ,KTM and even the Ducati riders can stomp his ass mightily, Big Grin

I'm sure you have nothing to worry about. He's out of shape, out of practice, lazy and has lost his desire to win. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The guy is fearless. I don’t expect him to change his riding style at all. Honda looked awful at Qatar but I don’t think their bike is nearly as bad as it looked there. It’s gonna be interesting, if there is one person who can extract every bit of speed from that Honda it’s Márquez.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
The bike has been built and developed specifically around Marc Marquez and his riding style. This is why others have such a hard time riding it. This has been the case with most prototype machinery over the history of the sport. Riders all have different riding styles. It’s built for the #1. #2-4 have to just make it work for them. Only in this newer era are the mfr’s trying to develop it for multiple riders. At least they state they are doing this but I don’t believe it.

Yamaha can’t solve Rossi’s rear tire wear.
Gigi at Ducati is like his predecessor and thinks the riders need to ride around the bike instead of the other way around.
Honda have built a bike only Marquez can make work.
Suzuki have actually built a handler that both factory riders can exploit, so probably the best for this right now.
Aprilia is starting to come around.
KTM is also at least trying.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
The guy is fearless. I don’t expect him to change his riding style at all. Honda looked awful at Qatar but I don’t think their bike is nearly as bad as it looked there. It’s gonna be interesting, if there is one person who can extract every bit of speed from that Honda it’s Márquez.

I agree.
I expect him to do well but you never know after an injury like that. Valentino Rossi has all the skills to win. With all the success he's had, he is no longer willing to take the chances he use to. He's still good enough to ride better than most.

I couldn't stand Andrea Dovizioso because he was giving Márquez a run a few years back.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It's almost time for FP1!!!! Cool

Because of the stupid FN virus the defending champion will be racing this week without his crew chief.

Link to article

REUTERS: MotoGP world champion Joan Mir will race at this weekend's Portuguese Grand Prix without his crew chief Frankie Carchedi who has tested positive for COVID-19, his Suzuki team said on Thursday.

Carchedi tested positive in pre-travel tests and did not fly to Portugal, going into isolation instead. The rest of the crew received negative results.

"The important role alongside Mir will therefore be filled this weekend by Tom O'Kane, who currently serves as Sylvain Guintoli's crew chief in Team Suzuki Ecstar's test team," Suzuki said in a statement.

Spaniard Mir is sixth in the world championship standings after the first two races in Qatar. Carchedi will be re-tested again later to see if he can return for the Jerez Grand Prix on May 2.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
All my focus was on MotoGP at Qatar. I can’t believe I just saw this tonight for the first time.

McPhee vs Alcoba

Round one....FIGHT!!

Big Grin
https://youtu.be/JHFaat2njZo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Finally had a chance to watch the first 2 races. Ducati found their top end again Eek The way they gobbled up everything on a straight was insane. If they figure out their fuel consumption and rear tire issue, the others won't stand a chance unless it's wet.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
HOLY SMOKES! What an amazing FP1 & FP2.

Marc Marquez is back and as fearless as ever. That last lap....whoa. Eek

Takaaki Nakagami had a horrific crash at the beginning of FP2. You can clearly see gaping holes in his leathers when he stands up. Frown He went and got checked out by medical then got on his back up bike and managed to finish FP2 in the top 10!!! Bravo Taka that was unbelievable what you did today! These guys are modern day gladiators.

Look at Taka’s hip.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stickman428,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Props to Taka, but there has been much worse. Lorenzo breaking his collarbone at Assen, four instance. Renting a jet, flying to Spain to have surgery to plate it, then flying back to Assen, and racing on Sunday, and got I think 4th IIRC. All in the same weekend. All these guys are maniacs man. Rossi broke the tib and fib, compound break with bone out of the skin at Mugello. That’s a 6 month OUT injury. 6 weeks later he was racing, and had to use a cane to walk to the bike. It’s always been like this. Hell just a few years ago Marquez went down on the straight at Mugello, at like 180 something miles an hour, right next to the wall. Then got right back on the bike. Nothing really surprises me anymore.

I’d watch out for Miguel here. He won last year, it’s his home race, and his pace is solid. The one off soft tire laps everyone threw in to get the press never tells the full story. Fabio is fast on race pace, along with Franco, and Miguel. Throw in Marquez as the wild card and that’s your top 4 from the first day.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
Finally had a chance to watch the first 2 races. Ducati found their top end again Eek The way they gobbled up everything on a straight was insane. If they figure out their fuel consumption and rear tire issue, the others won't stand a chance unless it's wet.

It’s not either. If Gigi could get the thing to turn instead of V’ing the corners every time, it would annihilate. Desmo valves are a bit easier on fuel than pneumatic valves. If the damn thing would turn better. Gigi spends so much time on aero and gizmos. Get the chassis dialed in to turn. They still outsource their twin spar. Gigi ever solves that it’s game over Marquez or not.

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!!! What a Q2 session. There is no other sport on this planet that gets me as amped as MotoGP. Johann Zarco and Alex Rins what a show!!!! Just fucking incredible. Zarco crashed during Q2 and at the 11th hour put down a scorching lap and jumped up to finish qualifying in 3rd.

There is no sport on this planet that is superior to MotoGP.

Prefontaine, I agree. Ducati will probably lose the title to Yamaha or Suzuki this year because those fucking idiots don’t seem to realize corner speed is just as important as straight line speed. I want to know how the heck they got all that speed when engine development is frozen. How is their aero package giving them THAT much of an advantage in top speed? Did they always have that power advantage and have thus far struggled to manage it? They can’t run a full race with that power without running out of gas so maybe their complete race strategy is hurting them?

My prediction is that Aprilia will have a surprisingly good race at Portugal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~