SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Underrated Western Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underrated Western Movies Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Sam Shepard in "Blackthorn"

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
One I think is underrated, or at least rarely mentioned starring Robert Duvall is The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid. About the ill-fated James Gang bank robbery attempt in the same location.

Another I like quite a bit, though it's weird as hell, is Dead Man....mid-90's film with Johnny Depp & Gary Farmer (who is fantastic as "Nobody").

Posts: 1728 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a Depp fan but I did check out Dead Man. It was weird but not bad.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
There's a 1999 made for tv movie western called Purgatory with Sam Shepard that's pretty great. I don't want to give too much away about it in case you haven't seen it.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Lots of stuff in the mix here. The subject is underrated films, hence the selection I made in my first post in this thread. Canyon Passage really is a good Western, but these days, very few people know the film, therefore: underrated.

Many of the films mentioned in this thread are far from underrated. Some of them are overrated, actually.

Conagher certainly qualifies as underrated. This was an early production of Turner Network Television IIRC. It's hard to go wrong with Louis L'Amour and it's hard to go wrong with Sam Elliott as a Western hero.

"Are you hit bad?"

"Yes, damn you."

Blackthorn is another, although just as with Quigley Down Under, the film is set in the Southern Hemisphere. To be fair to Blackthorn, there are flashback scenes which take place in the American West, so I guess it qualifies as a Western. Either way, it's a good film.

Dead Man - OK, yeah, it's a Western because it's set in the late 19th Century American West, but beyond that, uh, well, you just have to see it for yourself.

Notable for a very late appearance by Robert Mitchum; Crispin Glover's prescient railroad fireman; a funny comic turn by Billy Bob Thornton, and Iggy Pop- in a dress. Strange on the range.

And then there's this exchange in Dead Man- two characters speaking about Lance Henricksen's character Cole Wilson:

Conway Twill: Everybody knows about him. He's a livin' legend. Fucked his parents.

Johnny Pickett: He what?

Conway Twill: He fucked his parents.

Johnny Pickett: Both of 'em?

Conway Twill: Mother. Father. Parents. Both of 'em. Fucked 'em.

Johnny Pickett: Oh

Conway Twill: And you know what I heard? After he killed 'em, he cooked 'em up and ate 'em.

Johnny Pickett: Are you telling me he killed both his parents?

Conway Twill: I'm tellin' you he killed 'em. He fucked 'em. He cooked 'em up. He ate 'em. He ain't got a goddamn conscience. You understand what I'm sayin'? He'd just as soon slit our goddamn throats in the middle of the night as walk.

_______

And that's one of the less bizarre scenes in the film, so I'm hesitant to call this a Western. Suffice to say, it's a Jim Jarmusch film, so there's nothing conventional about it. I don't know if I'd call it underrated, though. It's more along the lines of a cult film.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
As cheesy as they were, I'd throw the "Trinity" movies into the mix, especially Trinity Is Still My Name.

They never did anything for me, but My Name is Nobody is probably my personal all time favorite movie, despite the "comedy" portions that I loved as a kid, but now cringe through. In between all that mess is a really wonderful film.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
I think Quigley Down Under is underrated.
Well, that's not a Western. It doesn't even take place in the Northern hemisphere, much less the American West.

Sure it is. He lands in Freemantle, in WESTERN Australia. Smile

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Shalako with Shhhhhean Connery, Honor Blackman and Brigitte Bardot.

... underrated or something else?

Oft ignored and very rarely screened (now watch it get scheduled later this week).

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/xt0TV494OzA

And yes, Silverado.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
How about: The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean 1972, starring Paul Newman.

Joe Kidd 1972, Clint Eastwood, Robert Duval, John Saxon, and Don Stroud.

"I aim to get Luis Chama!"

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Great Westerns, but how are they underrated? The first film stars Paul Newman and was directed by the great John Huston. The second film is an Eastwood classic and gets aired in the US about 6 times a week.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107505 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if it qualifies as underrated:
China 9, Liberty 37.
Very strange western with Warren Oates.
And.... Fabio. Sam Peckinpah, too!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post