SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Underrated Western Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underrated Western Movies Login/Join 
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
I'll mention, The Last Train From Gun Hill [1959] Starring, Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn. Directed by John Sturges.

Warlock [1959] Starring, Henry Fonda, Anthony Quinn, and Richard Widmark.

The Naked Spur [1953] Starring, James Stewart, and Robert Ryan.

3:10 To Yuma. [1957] Starring, Glenn Ford, and Van Heflin. Written by Elmore Leonard.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I forget the name of the movie and haven't seen it in years. It stars Hackman, Coburn and Candice Bergen. They race across a desert. Very good from what I remember.
Anyone know it?

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I forget the name of the movie and haven't seen it in years. It stars Hackman, Coburn and Candice Bergen. They race across a desert. Very good from what I remember.
Anyone know it?[/QUOTE

Bite The Bullet ?

SIGmond the Sea Monster
(apologies to Sid and Marty Krofft)

Posts: 2300 | Location: Washington (The state, not D.C.) | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
How about Kirk Douglas and John Wayne in "The War Wagon"?

Or if that doesn't work, then Raquel Welch in "Hannie Caulder" - with Robert Culp assisting in tracking down bad guys Earnest Borgnine and Jack Elam and Strother Martin... maybe Bandolaro is actually better.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:

Haven't seen that one in a long time. I always thought, "Why doesn't someone just shoot one or two of the horses?"

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Haven't seen that one in a long time. I always thought, "Why doesn't someone just shoot one or two of the horses?"
Someone asked that of John Ford about the Indian attack scene in Stagecoach.

"Because then the movie would be over" was his response.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Back to the Future- Part 3

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
"Valdez is Coming" with Burt Lancaster

"The Professionals" with Lancaster, Lee Marvin and Jack Palance.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I saw Maverick this week for the first time in many years. It was still quite entertaining.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
...a second vote for "Valdez Is Coming."

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
There are quite a few, but off the top of my head- Jacques Tourneur's Canyon Passage from 1946. Dana Andrews, Brian Donlevy, Susan Hayward, Ward Bond.

Beautifully shot in Technicolor, this is not a run of the mill Western. Highly recommended.

No doubt, I'll think of others, but this is the film that immediately came to mind.

I looked this one up on IMBD and read through some of the lines from this movie. From the examples the writing seems to be outstanding; here's one exchange:
quote:
Logan Stuart: There was a lot of good in George.
Johnny Steele: He sure panned out no color.
Logan Stuart: There's a thin margin, Johnny, between what could be and what is.
Johnny Steele: Yeah. It was thin for you last night. We were a mind to hang ya.
Logan Stuart: You see how thin the margin is.

Posts: 13254 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Conagher.

Posts: 20097 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
Conagher.
absolutely

"Makes a man wonder what he did with his summer wages."

Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Tom Horn, filmed in Southern Arizona, is a favorite of mine.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
Tom Horn, filmed in Southern Arizona, is a favorite of mine.

Willcox, home of Rex Allen--Sr and Jr Wink

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
A few more modern ones... Wyatt Earp is lost in the shadow of Tombstone. Also, the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, though critically acclaimed, is underrated by viewers. Is it truly a western, though? Im not sure.

Wyatt Earp is good, I think, for showing a less romanticized version of the man than Tombstone. The Assassination, I like quite a lot. It's not a Western in the Hollywood tradition, but I think it's a great film that gives a good, honest look at the subject, which Hollywood Westerns don't really do, taken as a whole.

quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Back to the Future- Part 3

It's so easy to forget this is a Western sometimes. I watched it a few months back for the first time in years and it holds up pretty well.

quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I saw Maverick this week for the first time in many years. It was still quite entertaining.

Smile

One of my favorites. Smile

So, it was a TV miniseries, but The Sacketts is worth a watch and doesn't ever seem to get mentioned. Sam Elliott and Tom Selleck as two of three brothers and some rather memorable scenes. Sam Elliott and his Arkansas toothpick make for one scene I'll never forget from childhood.

Edit- Ha! Found it!

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
Duck You Sucker aka Fist full of Dynamite with James Coburn and Rod Steiger. Good stuff. Coburn is an IRA man on the run in Mexico during the Revolution. My favorite spaghetti style western.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Witticism pending...
Picture of KBobAries
posted Hide Post
I very much enjoyed "Silverado." John Cleese, Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Scott Glenn and Kevin Costner.

I'm not as illiterate as my typos would suggest.

Posts: 3529 | Location: Big city, SW state, alleged republic | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dug into my dvd library and found Broken Trail with Robert Duvall. Pretty good.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Quick And The Dead.
Not the Sharon Stone one.
The one with Sam Elliot.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post