SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Underrated Western Movies
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Underrated Western Movies Login/Join 
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
Two Peckinpah Westerns I am fond of, and usually, you never see or hear mention of:

Ride the High Country with Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott

and Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. I had rented it, but it wasn't the same as seeing it on the Big Screen at a rep theater. So many great scenes, cinematography.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Peckinpah, How about "The Wild Bunch?"

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
"Valdez is Coming" with Burt Lancaster

"The Professionals" with Lancaster, Lee Marvin and Jack Palance.

"The Professionals" is one of my all time favorites. And it's got Claudia Cardinale in it.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5159 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
The Quick And The Dead.
Not the Sharon Stone one.
The one with Sam Elliot.

I just watched this last night. I picked it up out of a DVD bargain bin aa few years ago and never got around to watching it. It was pretty good, maybe 7/10 stars.

Now I think I may need to revisit some Louis L'Amour books.

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I always thought Chisum was one of John Wayne's best movies. However, it only received mediocre reviews. It had great actors and the final fight sequence was amazing.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Culpepper Cattle Company.

Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Bob Ford, love this movie.

Bad Company

The Longriders

Posts: 245 | Registered: April 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Echtermetzger:
Two Peckinpah Westerns I am fond of, and usually, you never see or hear mention of:

Ride the High Country with Joel McCrea and Randolph Scott

and Pat Garret and Billy the Kid. I had rented it, but it wasn't the same as seeing it on the Big Screen at a rep theater. So many great scenes, cinematography.

I started Ride The High Country once and couldn't get 10 minutes through it. Tried it again later and am glad I did. Really enjoyed it.

Also loved The Professionals, and though it isn't underrated, Once Upon A Time In The West.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6040 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Watching one right now that I believe was underated. Released in 2008 , starring Viggo Mortensen, Ed Harris, Jeremy Irons and Rene Zellweger. Appaloosa. Good old fashion western buddy movie with semi flawed heroes, at odds with each other over a woman and taking on an evil man and his gang.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eTripper:
I'll mention, The Last Train From Gun Hill [1959] Starring, Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn. Directed by John Sturges.
+1

Along with:

Bend of the River (1952, with Jimmy Stewart and Rock Hudson)

and:

Cowboy (1958, with Glenn Ford and Jack Lemmon)

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Here are a few more to consider: Major Dundee 1965 Charleton Heston, Richard Harris, James Coburn, and Warren Oates. Directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Santee 1973 Glenn Ford, Michael Burns.

Vera Cruz 1954 Burt Lancaster, Gary Cooper, Charles Bronson, Ernest Borgnine.

Monte Walsh 1970 Lee Marvin, Jack Palance[/b]

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
many of these films bring to mind a certain sub-genre, the Closing of the West.

the Wild Bunch
the Professionals
Tom Horn
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid

the old ways are going away, the land is no longer free, the Indians are stuck on reservations, and because everything is fenced off or owned by somebody else, making a living gets harder and harder.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Missouri Breaks.

Posts: 4027 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I think the movie Monte Walsh is worth watching if only for the epic bronc riding scene at the end of the movie (although I never could figure out what "Ya had to sit 'im high," meant).

The movie has been discussed a few times here over the years. I've said before, the book, "Monte Walsh" is my all time favorite Western novel. The novel pretty much tells the story of Walsh's life as a cowboy. The movie, of necessity, only a part of it. I imagine I'm not alone in that when I read a novel--especially one that I really like, I develop a mental picture of the key characters. As much as I like both Lee Marvin and Jack Palance, neither fit my mental picture.

It's been too long since I've seen the Tom Selleck version to comment on it. He doesn't look like my image of Monte either. Besides, Selleck is way too big to be a bronc peeler.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Cowboys will be shown on TCM at 2000 MDT.

The Jimmy Stewart/Anthony Mann Western, The Far Country is on right now.

Posts: 13253 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Stalking Moon with Gregory Peck, Eva Marie Saint, and Robert Forster.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
"Will Penny", anyone?

How about "Night of the Stalking Moon"?

Yes Will Penny, very good movie.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aquabird:
quote:
Originally posted by Blaque Jacque Shellaque:
"Will Penny", anyone?

How about "Night of the Stalking Moon"?

Yes Will Penny, very good movie.

I like a lot of the movies posted here, but did anyone say Conagher? Sam Elliot movie is good.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yes

Picture of eTripper
posted Hide Post
Here is a more recent film, The Missing: 2003 starring Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchett, Val Kilmer.

The Last Hard Men: 1976 with Charleton Heston, James Coburn, and Barbara Hershey.

"We're after men - and I wish to God I was with them. The next time you make a mistake, I'm going to ride off and let you die." - Deke Thornton, - The Wild Bunch

Posts: 759 | Location: 'The Hive' beneath Raccoon City | Registered: February 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
quote:

I like a lot of the movies posted here, but did anyone say Conagher? Sam Elliot movie is good.

The book was great, too.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6040 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post