SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ever find out a song you like is actually a cover??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find out a song you like is actually a cover?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Been a big fan of RED since their inception, been to a ton of their shows, buy all their albums as soon as they are available.

Their album Gone came out in 2017 and is a great album. While Unstoppable is not their best track I do like it.

I was at the range yesterday working on some skills and was between courses of fire loading mags and heard some lyrics I was familiar with but was a female singing and a very different style. Thought to myself wow pretty cool someone covered RED which kind of surprised me as they aren’t really mainstream you would say.
Well turns out RED is the one who covered the song by someone called Sia. Never heard of her and seems kind of strange from the video. Not sure I’ll ever quite hear the song the same again.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25425 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a matter of fact, I learned yesterday that Don't You Evah by Spoon is a cover of Don't You Ever by The Natural History.

I've heard the cover a hundred times on the radio and had no idea.

Posts: 922 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bible by Ghost.

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Bang a Gong

I didn’t know Power Station’s version was a cover.

Posts: 13743 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Bang a Gong

I didn’t know Power Station’s version was a cover.

Yuh young whippersnapper!

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Lanie Gardners rendition of Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks is a classic cover.

I forgot how to embed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...channel=LanieGardner

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost every hit by Quiet Riot when they came out. Slade was the original band who sang/wrote the songs.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
It's rare that I'll not know a song is a cover, but I'll admit, I only found out about 6 months ago that Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" was a cover

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
Red Sun Rising - Uninvited

It's actually a cover from Alanis Morisette:

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Early on I never knew several Led Zeppelin songs were old blues covers.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
When Cheap Trick's song "California Man" started to get a lot of FM airplay in the 70s, everyone loved the record. It was a few years before I realized that it was a cover song.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I was surprised when I found out that Manfred Mann's Earth Band's versions of "Blinded by the Light" and "Spirit in the Night" were covers.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I didn’t know September Gurls by the Bangles was originally by Big Star.

Posts: 45375 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This radio station I listen to plays this fun segment every morning called “First Song First” and they play the original and then the far more well known cover version that is famous and everyone assumes is an original.

I think the most surprising one to me was “Midnight Train To Georgia” by Gladys Knight and The Pips. Was originally sung by an artist named Jim Weatherly titled "Midnight Plane to Houston”.

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

One of them from the 1920’s or 1930’s!

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The bizzaro world in which Johnny Cash covered NIN.
It took me a while to put that one together.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
Almost every hit by Quiet Riot when they came out. Slade was the original band who sang/wrote the songs.

At which point Slade came out with another hit in “Run Runaway”. I surely didn’t know that Quiet Riot was doing covers in those pre-Internet days.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Tennessee Flat Top Box performed by Rosanne Cash.

Originally written and performed by her father, Johnny Cash.

According to Wikipedia: "When she recorded the song, she was unaware that her father wrote it, and assumed that it was in the public domain."

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

One of them from the 1920’s or 1930’s!

Well Led Zeppelin wasn’t really known for giving credit to the original artists.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
J.J Cale’s Cocaine by Eric Clapton and Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac Black Magic Woman by Santana come to mind.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12111 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green Manalishi by Judas Priest was a cover of a Fleetwood Mac song

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post