SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ever find out a song you like is actually a cover??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ever find out a song you like is actually a cover?? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Well turns out RED is the one who covered the song by someone called Sia. Never heard of her and seems kind of strange from the video. Not sure I’ll ever quite hear the song the same again.

Sia is incredible. She wrote a lot of songs for other artists and did vocals for groups like Zero7 and Massive Attack before going mainstream with her solo career. She does have some sort of social anxiety which is why she covers her face (at the beginning of her rise) so people wouldn't recognize her in the street and swarm her. In some of her videos she's portrayed by Maddie Ziegler who was first made famous on some reality dancing show. Sia's music is quite deep and many of her popular hits have to do with issues she's dealt with in life such as mental illness of which she and her father struggled with and he never overcame. Elastic Heart is an incredible song and the music video is probably one of the best I've ever seen, especially when you read up on the symbolism.

quote:
The bizzaro world in which Johnny Cash covered NIN.
It took me a while to put that one together.

I too came here to post this. I thought for sure NIN covered him but it was the other way around.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
One day I had a drive from St. Peter, Minnesota to Denver. The song Black Betty came on the radio. Hadn't heard it in years, but it really got me going. Ram Jam covered Lead Belly, and then I found Larkin Poe's arrangement and like that one the best.

Posts: 7527 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
J.J Cale’s Cocaine by Eric Clapton and Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac Black Magic Woman by Santana come to mind.

0-0

It's amazing how many people covered JJ Cale's songs.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Come to think of it, in 1990 when it came out I didn't realize the Black Crowes version of Hard To Hande was an Otis Redding song.

Posts: 922 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Been a big fan of RED since their inception, been to a ton of their shows, buy all their albums as soon as they are available.

Their album Gone came out in 2017 and is a great album. While Unstoppable is not their best track I do like it.

I was at the range yesterday working on some skills and was between courses of fire loading mags and heard some lyrics I was familiar with but was a female singing and a very different style. Thought to myself wow pretty cool someone covered RED which kind of surprised me as they aren’t really mainstream you would say.
Well turns out RED is the one who covered the song by someone called Sia. Never heard of her and seems kind of strange from the video. Not sure I’ll ever quite hear the song the same again.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Pg1RguhqxY" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

not a huge fan of Sia's solo work, but will say she has some serious talent for a 'pop star'

saying that because I am a big fan of Zero7, a band she performed with before she got big,

look up Zero7 Destiny

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chach:
It's rare that I'll not know a song is a cover, but I'll admit, I only found out about 6 months ago that Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn" was a cover

Found this out several years ago. The original from Ednaswap is far superior, in my opinion.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerkyjer
posted Hide Post
Tennesse whiskey done by Chris Stapleton. It wasn’t until I heard the original by David Allen Coe that I learned it was a cover. Chris’s is better.

War Eagle!

Posts: 206 | Registered: April 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jerkyjer:
Tennesse whiskey done by Chris Stapleton. It wasn’t until I heard the original by David Allen Coe that I learned it was a cover. Chris’s is better.

I like both versions, but I'd give the edge to Coe's slightly more immediate vestion.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
Green Manalishi by Judas Priest was a cover of a Fleetwood Mac song

... and Diamonds and Rust, was originally written and performed by Joan Baez.

Diamonds and Rust - Joan Baez:
https://youtu.be/B6Uc2hPShh0

Diamonds and Rust - Judas Priest:
https://youtu.be/-OHJP1BSVgM

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I always thought this song belonged to the Righteous Brothers, who recorded it in 1965; the song was 11 years old then. It was actually written in 1955, music by Alex North and lyrics by Hy Zaret. North wrote the music as a theme for the prison film Unchained (1955), hence the song title. Todd Duncan sang the vocals for the film soundtrack.

Here’s Gene Vincent from 1956.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
What about when it is not a cover. But the same song just sped up?

Lady GaGa has a song called Bloody Mary:

Then I started seeing a cover of the song on a bunch of tiktok videos. Naturally, I thought I was hearing a "cover" of the song but it turns out it is the same song but some DJ just sped it up:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Charley Pride singing "Kaw Liga"

Written by Hank Williams

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Charley Pride singing "Kaw Liga"

Written by Hank Williams

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/KoO6XVCKDc8" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Most everything in country can be traced to Hank Williams. Wink

Seriously, I thought Kaw-Liga was famously a Hank Williams song.

I once heard Hank Jr. sing it, and it was the only song from his dad he sang at the show I saw. It was cool to hear Jr. do it. I'd like to hear Hank III do it, because Hank III can sound so much like his grandfather that it makes the hair on your neck stand up.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Early on I never knew several Led Zeppelin songs were old blues covers.

Same with the Allman Brothers. I eventually discovered that some of their greatest songs were covers of classic Blues numbers: Statesboro Blues, One Way Out, Trouble No More, Stormy Monday.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe was a cover.

Which was a copy of of this because they were roommates. Yes, rap battles are nothing new.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

quote:

One of them from the 1920’s or 1930’s!

Well Led Zeppelin wasn’t really known for giving credit to the original artists.

There’s a half dozen songs at least I can think of that have had writing credits changed in later album printings. Ritchie Valens’ mom and I assume now his siblings are still collecting a check from one of them

Funny cause plant and page are quick to sue when their stuff gets lifted

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Come to think of it, in 1990 when it came out I didn't realize the Black Crowes version of Hard To Hande was an Otis Redding song.

I was interested to learn this years ago as well. I like the black crows since about 1990 when they made it big and then learned later that the Grateful dead had lifted hard to handle from Redding. Since then a lot a reggae artist have covered it

Posts: 4770 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
quote:

Same with the Allman Brothers. I eventually discovered that some of their greatest songs were covers of classic Blues numbers: Statesboro Blues, One Way Out, Trouble No More, Stormy Monday.

And all great covers!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
I didn’t know September Gurls by the Bangles was originally by Big Star.

They covered a lot of tunes and I think better than original. Going down to Liverpool and hazy shade of winter are much better than the originals.