SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tyler Childers, Cody Jinx, Sturgill Simpson and Others
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Tyler Childers, Cody Jinx, Sturgill Simpson and Others Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
Singer/Songwriters that I enjoy listening to. It happens that this song by Tyler Childers is not one of his compositions; it was written years ago by Utah Phillips. I just like it.



I wish the PA wasn’t a bit muddy. The lyrics are kinda hard to make out, and they’re outstanding.



If memory serves, this is this first Sturgill Simpson song I heard; sure is a good one.



_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14947 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post




and a little diversity in musicians

 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The Eric Church song was good. I never paid much attention to him, but that commencement speech he did at UNC went viral for good reason.

Didn’t Miranda Lambert co-write “Choosin’ Texas?


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14947 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn’t Miranda Lambert co-write “Choosin’ Texas?


Yes Co-writers: Miranda Lambert, Ella Langley, Joybeth Taylor, and Luke Dick.

Cody Jenks is pretty good, he's got several videos from Red Rock...



Might as well add a bit of Morgan Wallen since I'm going down the rabbit hole... Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HRK,
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
A couple more good ones...



 
Posts: 3892 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
See also: Colter Wall
 
Posts: 544 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
See also: Colter Wall

I have. Twice, so far


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14947 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I dig Cody Jinks. Criminally underappreciated by the mainstream, even if that is somewhat his brand.
 
Posts: 5511 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
Tyler Childers has quite a few songs that have resonated with me, even being from fairly different worlds. He’s a great songwriter and singer, I’ll give any of his songs a listen.

I do remember Colter Wall and his very unique voice. Sad to see he may have to take a break due to his own demons, but better he take care of that and live decently than the music industry string him out.




...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, was just a freight train coming your way...
 
Posts: 2785 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do remember Colter Wall and his very unique voice. Sad to see he may have to take a break due to his own demons, but better he take care of that and live decently than the music industry string him out.

I hadn’t heard anything about that.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14947 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Seen Sturgill Simpson 3x so far with tickets to see him in Charleston next month. I've also seen Cody Jinx and Tyler Childers, but Sturgill (Johnny Blue Skies) takes the top spot.

That's my kind of music in a nutshell.




Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.
 
Posts: 3848 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
Been right there with you guys for years. This has been my kind of music since before it became relevant. More in tune with bluegrass though. Huffman mentioned Charleston. Many thoughts from the lyrics of "Charleston Girl" have crossed my mind over this song. If he messes with the Steele brothers, he could likely leave with half his mind, because the other half would be in shreds.



It is hard to take my eyes off this Feathered Indian.



Another favorite from the era. I can help you close your eyes, and I think that's Justified.



----------------------------
Time Makes Us Wise.

 
Posts: 1924 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
“Feathered Indians” is the first Tyler Childers song I heard. The lyrics to the Cumberland River Band song reminded me of this one from Whiskey Myers. Some here might remember that I think a lot of this band. I picked this version with lyrics.



_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14947 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
I used to hate and enjoy sending this to my Mom. It wasn't always easy raising my Father's son.



Loud And Heavy



----------------------------
Time Makes Us Wise.

 
Posts: 1924 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
TMats - You must recall this one.



----------------------------
Time Makes Us Wise.

 
Posts: 1924 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
Doubt you have seen thIs one from Whiskey Shivers...



----------------------------
Time Makes Us Wise.

 
Posts: 1924 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:
Been right there with you guys for years. This has been my kind of music since before it became relevant. More in tune with bluegrass though. Huffman mentioned Charleston. Many thoughts from the lyrics of "Charleston Girl" have crossed my mind over this song. If he messes with the Steele brothers, he could likely leave with half his mind, because the other half would be in shreds.


Another favorite from the era. I can help you close your eyes, and I think that's Justified.

[ FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/m3LRVSKNu84?si=Ko4PVz0HeUvy2GpK" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]


If you like Justifed and Harlan County then no list would be complete without Patty Loveless and Chris Stapleton doing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive"

 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
HRK-

Couldn't agree more! Although written by Darrell Scott, your version with Chris Stapleton is one of the more recent versions I have seen over the years. Actually prefer earlier renditions such as this one.



While out mowing my bottom fields likely/hopefully for the final time this evening, I was tuned into the Sirius Sturgill channel. Upon many other familiars played in those couple of hours, I could perfectly envision this Red Rocks version of "Down Low" performed by Tyler and one of my local bands Town Mountain. Tyler has cleaned up his act by then. Cody, Sturgill, and others have as well. Although I am not one, it detracts from the Outlaw Nature of this genre for me.



----------------------------
Time Makes Us Wise.

 
Posts: 1924 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
QUIZ: Likely for the hard core Cody fans. Have you ever noticed a song on Cody's "Lifer" album playlist where the album cover on all the other songs showed the old man with no movement. There is at least one song on that album cover while playing that album playlist on youtube that indicates movement.

First to name that tune, provided with link, will receive a brandy new Colt AR15 30 Round Mag free of charge. It took me quite a few nights to figure this out after watching night after night the year it came out. AI will pin it down quickly.



----------------------------
Time Makes Us Wise.

 
Posts: 1924 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My son saw Sturgill Simpson/Johnny Blue Skies on Thursday. He said there was no opening act and that he played for 3 hours. For myself, while I appreciate an artist giving his fans their money’s worth, 3 hours is a bit much for me. My son admitted that he too thought a two hour show might have been better.

Clay (my son) said there were a surprising amount of instrumentals and long guitar solos that blended into the next song. I had no idea that Simpson was an excellent guitar player and traded licks freely with the other guitar player in the band (who also played pedal steel and sax).

Clay did have a great time at the show and would see Sturgill or Johnny Blue Skies again.


_______________________________________________________
despite them
 
Posts: 14947 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Tyler Childers, Cody Jinx, Sturgill Simpson and Others

© SIGforum 2026