SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Renault RS17

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
dude ... those photos don't fit on my laptop!

But look at the rake in Renault - they've learned something from Red Bull.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
dude ... those photos don't fit on my laptop!

But look at the rake in Renault - they've learned something from Red Bull.

Sorry, not sue why they're so huge, they don't even fit on my big desk monitors....
I did notice that it seems to have some 'exaggerated' rake to it as well.

Mercedes W08 debuts tomorrow.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My computer won't handle 1:1 scale, either. Try resizing to 600mp maximum width.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
My computer won't handle 1:1 scale, either. Try resizing to 600mp maximum width.

Sorry, they're just direct linked from the F1.com website.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Finally Williams and Renault have someone in design not limited to a straight-edge!

Thanks for starting this thread. Season can't get hear soon enough for me.

Interesting article in Road and Track this month with analysis of living F1 champs and why/when they stopped. I always forget how successful Nicki was.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Mercedes W08

Not finalized, due to get a slightly larger dorsal fin & reworked front wing.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Hopefully these don't link as huge as the previous ones:

Full 2017 Grid/Liveries:

Mercedes W08

Ferrari SF70H

McLaren MCL32

Renault RS17

Williams FW40

Force India VJM10

HAAS VF-17

Red Bull RB13

Toro Rosso STR12

Sauber C36

Shame we lost Manor (Marussia) for this season. Back down to 20 cars.

posted Hide Post
The McLaren looks like it drove thru a fence.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmalb:

Aero testing equipment...But yeah, not the prettiest car on the grid.

Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by jmalb:

Aero testing equipment...But yeah, not the prettiest car on the grid.

...and the Honda is still a unreliable dog apparently. McLaren is at the back of the grid again - I was hoping for better as a long time (long suffering) fan...look at those lousy times on Ultrasofts...

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
But, look at the times from the front pack.
Bottas & Vettel top the 2008 lap record for the track on day 3. Kimi near equal to the '08 lap in the wet.

And, assuming that in testing that the cars aren't at 100% race-spec.

Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Keeping my eyes on:

Mercedes
Red Bull
Ferrari
Haas.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Man the cars look good this year. Love the big fat rear tires.

I saw somewhere else that both Mercedes and Ferrari have maybe figured out a loophole in the new aero rules. They both have a small extra wing on the back that is the same width as last year's wing. I guess the rules just specified the specs for the new wing but never said you could not have another out there. They are small, but they would not have them there if they were not gaining some benefit from them.

Some drivers are saying that the new wings and increased downforce makes the air more unstable when following closely, so overtaking may be more difficult. I thought that was what the bigger tires were for (more physical grip) but we'll see.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1768 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
How long before Alonso goes off the deep end?
This looks like a breakthrough in the wrong direction.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ furlough
Looks like Williams are on it too, and have added an additional lower T-wing between the level of the main rear wing & exhaust.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Those front wings (IRL) are pieces of art - amazing ... can't hardly wait! Let's get down under and get rolling ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
With Manor now out of the picture, there is spare brace of Merc engines available. I wonder if Mac is thinking about jumping off the Honda bandwagon?

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I suspect Honda is a big part of their funding now and it's not as simple as just bolting in another engine.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I suspect Honda is a big part of their funding now and it's not as simple as just bolting in another engine.

As evidenced by the Lotus > Renault switch from MBZ to Renault. Had to 'make it work' with a chassis set up for the MBZ unit.