SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
^^
Ideally I'd like something that also had Indycar, much like the Sky coverage.
Indycar is starting to have more things on pay per view or not covered and I suspect when enough people get hooked, F1 will do similar.
Even if I have to do separate subscriptions, it's still a lot less than any of my regular TV options and has more content should I want it.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Yeah, if F1 drops off ESPN, I'll cancel YTTV & jump on F1TV
I watch all 3 days every weekend, and the rest of the channels are just filler for the rest of the week. Nothing I can't do/get elsewhere.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ford to join F1 in 2026, after 22 years out of the sport

quote:
American automotive giants Ford have confirmed their intention to make a Formula 1 comeback when new engine regulations are introduced in 2026, meaning another chapter will be added to the American organisation’s rich history in the sport.

Ford’s involvement in F1 stretches all the way back to the 1960s and the DFV (Double Four Valve) engine, built in partnership with British engineering firm Cosworth, which took 155 wins from 262 races between 1967 and 1985 (including several variant designs).

From their first title wins with Graham Hill and Lotus in 1968 to their most recent with Michael Schumacher and Benetton in 1994, Ford have played a part in 10 constructors’ championships and 13 drivers’ championships – making them the third most successful engine manufacturer in F1 history.

Some 20 years on from their last participation in 2004, the appeal of F1’s future engine regulations – featuring increased electrical power and 100% sustainable fuels – will see Ford grace the grid once again from the 2026 campaign.

Stefano Domenicali, President and CEO of F1, said: “The news today that Ford is coming to Formula 1 from 2026 is great for the sport and we are excited to see them join the incredible automotive partners already in Formula 1.

“Ford is a global brand with an incredible heritage in racing and the automotive world and they see the huge value that our platform provides with over half a billion fans around the world.

“Our commitment to be Net Zero Carbon by 2030 and to introduce sustainable fuels in the F1 cars from 2026 is also an important reason for their decision to enter F1.

“We believe that our sport provides the opportunity and reach unlike any other and we cannot wait for the Ford logo to be racing round F1’s iconic circuits from 2026.”

Bill Ford, Executive Chairman, Ford Motor Company, commented: “This is the start of a thrilling new chapter in Ford’s motorsports story that began when my great-grandfather [Henry Ford] won a race that helped launch our company.“Ford is returning to the pinnacle of the sport, bringing Ford’s long tradition of innovation, sustainability and electrification to one of the world’s most visible stages.”

FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem added: “There are few manufacturers who have such a celebrated motor sport history as Ford, so to see them coming back to the FIA Formula 1 World Championship is excellent news.

“It further underlines the success of the 2026 Power Unit Regulations that have at their heart a commitment to both sustainability and spectacle, and of course having more interest from the United States is important for the continued growth of the world’s top motor sport category.”

Ford’s announcement follows on from Audi setting out plans to enter F1 from 2026, with the German manufacturer this week acquiring a minority stake in the Sauber operation that will become their works team.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
^^ Ha I was just going to announce that! This could be a fantastic combination and with Ford’s long history (albeit not recently) with F1 it will bring back a lot of memories.
It will also put tremendous pressure on Andretti/Cadillac to close the deal.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Red Bull RB19 Reveal

More of the same, about as expected, IMO.
But, is that a Rokit sponsor on the side of the cockpit? They weren't the brightest of sponsors with Williams, but not near as bad a Rich Energy.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
28 days to FP1 in Bahrain! Big Grin

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Alfa C43:

Williams FW45

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think last years Red/White Alfa looked better, but so far the C43 is the best looking, IMO.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Buncha bitchin' about the Alfa being too dark, the graphics only being visible from above, etc. etc.

I think it looks great! Interested to see if Merc actually does another black car.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Buncha bitchin' about the Alfa being too dark, the graphics only being visible from above, etc. etc.

I think it looks great! Interested to see if Merc actually does another black car.

You could argue similar on the Williams, very little visible from the sides. But, that could be a lack of sponsors.

I'm going to wager the Merc is silver. They were back to the Silver Arrows last year, and I'd expect that to continue.
Plus, all Mercs look best in Silver [/bias]

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The Williams looks good, and while I know they would love to load it up with sponsor logos, the relative lack of them is one reason why it looks good.

The Alpha is way too busy.

The Red Bull looks like they always look.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Looking at it a bit more, I can see maybe why the Alfa is in black instead of white.
Last year, all the teams struggled to get down near the minimum weight, with Alfa getting the closest.

Going to the black on the C43, you could just run raw carbon there, and not need to add the weight of paint/wrap to those parts.

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've seen total paint weight ranging from 1-4 kg. That's a pretty broad range, but not an insignificant amount of weight in the world of F1.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've seen total paint weight ranging from 1-4 kg. That's a pretty broad range, but not an insignificant amount of weight in the world of F1.

In most cases it's vinyl and it's quite a bit lighter than paint. The bare areas are often bare carbon and just have the graphics of sponsors.
F1 teams go to incredible lengths to save weight.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im not sure if Ford engine will be competitive or reliable. Unless Cosworth gets involved but dont know what they do these days or have anything to do with Ford anymore. Me thinks Ford got chosen as the F1 owner is now US based. Will have to see.

Posts: 178 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: December 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marinemaster:
Im not sure if Ford engine will be competitive or reliable.

Ford isn't supplying/building the F1 engine.

They are just putting their name on the Red Bull engine

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by marinemaster:
Im not sure if Ford engine will be competitive or reliable.

Ford isn't supplying/building the F1 engine.

They are just putting their name on the Red Bull engine

And assisting in the hybrid/EV part of the PU, from what I've read.
RBPT is building the ICE, and Ford will be contributing on the EV side of it.
Haven't seen any mention of Cosworth in the mix.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/...s-comeback/10429395/

quote:
Cosworth: F1 return not on radar despite Ford's comeback

Cosworth is not considering a future return to Formula 1 despite former partner Ford’s comeback with Red Bull in 2026, saying it “hasn’t been a focus.”

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Ford did own Cosworth at one point but it was also a badging exercise, much like Illmor did with Chevrolet, Mercedes and others.
Mercedes once owned most of Illmor but much of the company was sold off to different groups, part to Mario Illien, one of the original owners. That part could feature in the Cadillac equation if they end up in F1. They are involved in the Chevrolet Indycar engine and a variety of other projects.
https://www.ilmor.com/About/our-story

Developing a true racing engine has little to do with street car stuff anymore.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Looks like Red Bull is doing the ICE while Ford is working on the electric side.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post