SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
At first I thought Vettel was channeling his inner Schumacher but was shocked it was Sir Lancelot.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I liked Vettel's calm radio message afterwards.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Rain + Red Flag lucky
Looked like GR wanted them to push him, but that MB was buried at the rear. Rough ride through the gravel, too.

Better for GR that he was stuck and caused a red flag. Neutralized the ability of anyone behind him to beat his time. Kind of like a Ferrari hitting a wall at Monaco.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I still say they need to adopt the IndyCar rule where if you bring out a Red Flag, your 2 fast laps are deleted and you cannot move on to the next Quali round. You should be able to qualify and not crash at the same time.

Alonso also copped a 5 second time penalty and will start 18th for the race.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Just finished the Sprint. Might have been more overtakes than most full races.

Not sure what happened to Alfa's Friday pace, they were nowhere in quali, but more racy in the Sprint. Maybe their wet pace just isn't there?

Good to see Merc having some pace & good on GR for the win, and KMag for keeping it the points.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
George Russell baby! Fantastic win for George and Mercedes. Finally a 1-2 for the team and it wasn't a close race except for the teammates. I have been watching F1 since my teenage years of the 70's and while my heroes come and go, the young talent is rising to the top. I have no real favorites and still love seeing Alonso getting top 5's. From the early 70's to now, the one thing that keeps me watching is the racing. We will see what next year brings, but things will be different in the Mercedes garage.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red Bull should either sit Max or box him and take his tires away until he learns to play nice with his teammates and others. And keep repeating.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:
Red Bull should either sit Max or box him and take his tires away until he learns to play nice with his teammates and others. And keep repeating.

Let’s see Max talk his way out of this one.
If the speculation’s right in any way, that Perez walled it intentionally at Monaco qualifying, the FIA will have to get involved.
I don’t see it, based on the video, but if it were true, how’s that different than what Piquet Jr. did on Flavio's advice that resulted in a lifetime ban?

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
On the other hand, Ricciardo has a 3 spot penalty at Abu Dhabi for punting KMag on lap 1. Anyone else think Ricciardo shot himself in the foot and the knee in regards to getting a drive next year? After his performance this year, I’m not sure I’d even want him as a reserve driver.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking that Max's behaviour in this race showed more justification for Daniel leaving the team.

Not that it has worked out well for him.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
While I think with Max, this is a 100% dickhead move and something I wouldn’t do, it is notable that all the past five champions have done similar things in their competitiveness to include Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso, Shumacher, and now Verstappen.

Just saying that it is not uncommon in Formula 1 for the champions.

I have no idea if Perez intentionally put it in the wall. RBR has all the data, or did.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
I was just thinking that Max's behaviour in this race showed more justification for Daniel leaving the team.

Daniel was the only one at Red Bull that kept up with Max. If you want to get the team on your side, then beat the little bastard.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jamess1:

No one at Red Bull is going to do anything whatsoever to Max. Horner can get as upset as he wants, but the fact is that Max is their Star driver, has been for a while, and can get away with pretty much anything. Plus, he has Marko’s undisputed backing for anything he does.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
On the other hand, Ricciardo has a 3 spot penalty at Abu Dhabi for punting KMag on lap 1. Anyone else think Ricciardo shot himself in the foot and the knee in regards to getting a drive next year? After his performance this year, I’m not sure I’d even want him as a reserve driver.

His chances of getting a drive were already zero before this race. At best he was hoping to be a reserve driver for a big team like Merc or Red Bull, so maybe that’s out the windows, but I’m not sure either of those teams would have really wanted him even before this.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Not sure how much we'll ever know for sure about what motivated Max's attitude yesterday, tbh I was embarrassed for Leclerc's begging the team to have Sainz let him by. A good enough race at Brazil but there was a hard unpleasant edge to it throughout.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:

No one at Red Bull is going to do anything whatsoever to Max. Horner can get as upset as he wants, but the fact is that Max is their Star driver, has been for a while, and can get away with pretty much anything. Plus, he has Marko’s undisputed backing for anything he does.

Even if Red Bull benches Max (which they can since they have both championships), who do they put in the car? Another washed up Daniel in Danill Kvyat so he can race in the same car as they guy who’s currently banging his ex girlfriend and mother of his child?

quote:
His chances of getting a drive were already zero before this race. At best he was hoping to be a reserve driver for a big team like Merc or Red Bull, so maybe that’s out the windows, but I’m not sure either of those teams would have really wanted him even before this.

Before there was a chance he could land a job at a backmarker as reserve, but now he’s just Ralf Schumacher’ed his career.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
An eventful Brazilian GP, enjoyable & congrats to GR for tye win.
Lewis has one more race to keep up his, win in every season competed, record. Seems unlikely, depending on MB pace in Abu Dhabi.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:

Daniel was the only one at Red Bull that kept up with Max. If you want to get the team on your side, then beat the little bastard.

And find him putting you into a wall from behind?
We've seen other drivers on the same team take each other out before.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I was embarrassed for Leclerc's begging the team to have Sainz let him by.

I agree. LeClerc was asking them to ask Sainz to give up a podium finish. Had they radioed that into Sainz, I would have hoped his response would have been even stronger than Verstappen's. Something along the lines of, "Are you kidding me?!? F--k off!'

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
I was embarrassed for Leclerc's begging the team to have Sainz let him by.

I agree. LeClerc was asking them to ask Sainz to give up a podium finish. Had they radioed that into Sainz, I would have hoped his response would have been even stronger than Verstappen's. Something along the lines of, "Are you kidding me?!? F--k off!'

Commentary said the same. If they'd been 4/5, maybe, but you don't take an earned podium finish away. 3/4 is the same for the team regardless of driver position