SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Formula 1 Discussion
Page 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 ... 227
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Formula 1 Discussion Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Norris on track for an all-time heroic drive, what an emotional roller coaster. With upcoming reg changes and a wealth of talent, next year could be F1's salvation. Imagine race after race of actual competition.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
It was a good race. And while I would have liked to see Norris win, he and the team miscalculated by not changing tires.

It was fun to see Bottas and Verstappen work their way up through the pack. I am not a Verstappen fan, but the driver title race will be fun to watch.

Good start, and a very exciting finish. Fun race.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jhe888,

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I must have missed Bottas moving up through the pack. He didn’t seem to do much for 90% of the race, except letting Max breeze by. He only finished where he did because he came in at the right time for inters and a bunch of guys ahead of him stayed on slicks too long and lost out. Before the rain came, he was out of the points.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
Norris on track for an all-time heroic drive, what an emotional roller coaster. With upcoming reg changes and a wealth of talent, next year could be F1's salvation. Imagine race after race of actual competition.

Maybe. But it’s possible that it will be like the beginning of the turbo-hybrid era where one team/manufacturer gets it right, the others don’t, and simply dominates. It might not be Mercedes this time, but the result could be the same and who drives doesn’t matter that much.

Posts: 3326 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a good race. And while I would have liked to see Norris win, he and the team miscalculated by not changing tires.

They cost themselves more than first by not changing tires, but if they were thinking they weren't going to beat Hamliton by doing the same thing as him, they were likely right about that.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
It was Norris's call to not come in. He was magic in the Spa rain a couple few weeks back, up to a point. He rolled the dice again, I can understand his confidence. And maybe he thought the racing gods owed him one after not challenging for the win at Monza. The only thing I know for sure is he's got one more big fan here.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwill104:
quote:

Maybe. But it’s possible that it will be like the beginning of the turbo-hybrid era where one team/manufacturer gets it right, the others don’t, and simply dominates. It might not be Mercedes this time, but the result could be the same and who drives doesn’t matter that much.

Hopefully Alfa
<- Bottas fan.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I like to see competitive driving, but if one team does something so mechanically cool that they get a big advantage, I think that is part of the fun. F1 is supposed to have both a driving component and an engineering component.

The problem now is that it seems to come down solely to money. I realize money buys better engineering and better driving, but when it is just a spending contest, it is less fun.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
quote:

I like to see competitive driving, but if one team does something so mechanically cool that they get a big advantage, I think that is part of the fun. F1 is supposed to have both a driving component and an engineering component.

The problem now is that it seems to come down solely to money. I realize money buys better engineering and better driving, but when it is just a spending contest, it is less fun.

With the cost cap, the bigger teams vastly outspending the smaller teams should no longer be an issue. At least that’s the theory. We’ll see how that works out.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

With the cost cap, the bigger teams vastly outspending the smaller teams should no longer be an issue. At least that’s the theory. We’ll see how that works out.

Maybe, at least as it pertains to background work & expenses (CFD, engineering, wind tunnel, etc).

When you look at something like the Imola shunt between Bottas/Russell. MBZ can much more easily shoulder the cost of repair/replace a chassis than Williams, overall budget-wise.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how next season plays out.
And again when the new engine regs come into effect in '25. Rumors of a Red Bull/VAG (Porsche/Audi) pairing, if F1 can entice them to jump in (eliminate the MGU-H)

Posts: 15151 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Since we're supposed to be in Suzuka this weekend ( Frown ) RBR is running a Honda tribute livery.
Triubte to Richie Ginther's RA272

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Just like McLaren and their Gulf Oil livery for Monaco, this should be how the Red Bull looks for the entire year.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Can someone explain to me the basic rules of qualifying?

What is “the elimination zone”?

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:

3 stage qualifying.
16-20, then 11-15 then the top 10 on the grid are set in successive sessions.

The slowest 5 times in each session (Q1/Q2) are 'eliminated' and their start positions set for Sunday (before any grid penalties are applied).

Q3 is the remaining 10, who set their times for the top 10 spots on Sunday.

Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:

The elimination zone is the car on the "bubble"...the car at the bottom of the qualifying cars,in each session, which will be "bumped" out if a slower car posts a faster time. IE:15th in Q1, 10th in Q2

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

3 qualifying sessions, labeled Q1, Q2, and Q3. For Q1, all 20 cars are on track, and try to set their fastest times. At the end of Q1, positions 16-20 are eliminated and start the race in those positions. The remaining 15 cars go to Q2, and at the end, positions 11-15 are eliminated and start the race in those positions. The last session, Q3, sets grid positions 1-10.

Times don’t carry over between sessions. For example, if you get into Q2, whatever time you set in Q1 doesn’t matter.

Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Now it’s a lot more clear to me.

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1589 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Also, those that get into Q3, start the race on the tires they set their fastest time in Q2. Cars starting 11-20 get free tire choice at the start.
Rain invalidates this rule.

Also, in today's case, Hamilton qualified first, but has a 10 place grid penalty, so Bottas gets pole position.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Only Turkey could have a rain race that’s a snoozer (and Spa this year doesn’t count). About the only good thing was Mercedes hosing Lewis out of 3rd place. After everything Mercedes has done for him, he still whines like a spoiled brat on the radio to his team.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For a no DRS race, it wasn't bad. Glad VB gets a win.
Ocon did the entire race on a single set of tires.

Max goes into Austin with a 6 pt lead, I believe.