SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pick a moment in music history
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick a moment in music history Login/Join 
posted
If you could have footage of any moment in music history or have been a fly on the wall, what would it be?

I think seeing Clare Torry recording the vocals to Pink Floyd’s The great gig in the sky would be incredible! I’m sure I could think of a few more but let’s hear yours.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Beethoven conducting the premiere of his Ninth Symphony.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t have thought of it, if you hadn’t mentioned Clare Torrey’s remarkable perf for “Great Gig,” but the other seminal performance by a backup vocalist is Merry Clayton on “Gimme Shelter”. That would’ve been something to see and hear.

The other recording session that quickly came to mind is Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. To have heard Duane Allman and Clapton working up, then trading licks on “Tell the Truth,” or “Little Wing” (or about anything else on the album)…

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the roof of Abby road studios

Or Madison Square Garden during a concert for Bangladesh

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Deep Purple in concert in Japan in August 1972.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Tami Show. James whole set.

https://youtu.be/6-E0X2JxCs4

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12623 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The February 9th, 1964 Ed Sullivan show, the first US performance by the Beatles.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10784 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Tami Show. James whole set.

https://youtu.be/6-E0X2JxCs4

Same tape I've had for years.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Budokan. Cheap Trick.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
God, tons of moments- The Beatles at Shea Stadium, Sun Records jam session with Presley, Jerry Lee, Perkins, Cash, Dylan going electric at Newport, etc.

But I'll choose this one- Ella Fitzgerald at the Downbeat Club with Benny Goodman, Duke Ellington, and Richard Rodgers (Rodgers & Hammerstein) watching.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
A session of the original Beatles as a bar band in Hamburg. Would love to to buy the guys a round. Smile

Posts: 15025 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Watching Chicago with Terry Kath on lead Guitar. He was a monster.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
August "72"
The Greek theatre in L.A.
Neil Diamond

Also I go to see three ZZTop concerts that I saw the first time

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

+1! Chicago @ Tanglewood 07-21-1970.

Posts: 3505 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Top Ten Club, Hamburg 1961. Supposedly, there's silent 8mm film, but it hasn't surfaced. Note the 2 bass players.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

+1! Chicago @ Tanglewood 07-21-1970.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7uAUoz7jimg" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

He was a monster on the guitar. I saw Chicago and the Beach Boys (separately and together) in Foxboro Stadium during the summer of 1975 tour. I only wish I had a better memory of the show.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Monsters of Rock
Moscow

When Metallica hit the stage.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Back stage at Wembley Stadium for Live Aid in 1985.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Chicago was the first big concert I saw. They were touring the Silver album, Chicago, so Terry Kath was indeed on stage.

Posts: 13240 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d also love to see the moment Randy Rhoads auditioned for Ozzy.

Posts: 937 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post