SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pick a moment in music history
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pick a moment in music history Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^

Saw him with Quiet Riot playing in a backyard party in SoCal.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
A full live concert of Janis Joplin Razz

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sitting in Cass Elliots living room when David Crosby, Stephen Stills and Graham Nash first sang together. With the appropriate accoutrements of the day. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ltz400,

Posts: 192 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
1978 Rush had a few loonies to rub together and decided to record overseas. In a studio in Wales Hemispheres was being created. Their goal was to record that vinyl side in one take. Boy, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that attempt. They were not successful by the way.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Sweet Silence Studio in Denmark in late 1985. Watching the Master of Puppets album being recorded.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Jimi Hendrix Experience
Thursday, 24th, January, 1967
The Marquee Club, 90 Wardour Street London

http://themarqueeclub.net/24-j...ry-1967-jimi-hendrix

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Woodstock...for the music. Rolling around in the mud with a bunch of greasy hippies, not so much.

Pink Floyd at Pompeii would have been great as well.

Posts: 20081 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Last Waltz. November 25 1976.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Any live early version of Thunderstruck:

Can you imagine the energy of a large crowd like that and hearing this live?
Would have loved to be there .... just once. Cool

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Lots of great moments listed here!

I'll throw out a couple of recording sessions I'd like to have witnessed:

Jethro Tull's A Passion Play

Yes' Close to the Edge

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38646 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Chicago was the first big concert I saw. They were touring the Silver album, Chicago, so Terry Kath was indeed on stage.

My first concert was Chicago as well, in about 1981-82. Don't remember what album they were touring for, but I enjoyed the show.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Allman Bros at Fillmore East in 1971, any show.

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Lots of great moments listed here!

I'll throw out a couple of recording sessions I'd like to have witnessed:

Jethro Tull's A Passion Play

Yes' Close to the Edge

+1 to this. Two of the greatest prog rock albums ever made.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
Allman Bros at Fillmore East in 1971, any show.

This, plus, speaking of the Fillmore East, I'd like to see Neil Young & Crazy Horse (w/ Danny Whitten) playing there in 1970 doing the 15 min+ version of Cowgirl in the Sand

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr kablammo:
Beethoven conducting the premiere of his Ninth Symphony.

Anything coming out of Vienna within about a hundred years in either direction would've been amazing to experience. Same with the 7th century buddhist monks chanting at Bamiyan.

Forget the 1960's, I can hear that stuff and actually watch videos of it. There's hours and hours of years of music that's been completely lost to history that nobody has experienced in any capacity in thousands of years. How about the times and places where musical scales and modes we listen to today were invented? Ancient Egypt, Mesopotamia, Greece, Rome, India, and China. Can you imagine the music at a Roman triumph at the height of the empire? Or maybe a party in Athens around 435 BC?

Here's the oldest known piece of music in history, from around the first century BC. A Greek tune, found in Turkey, inscribed on a tomb.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post